PDA

View Full Version : We've entered the world of American Girl...and have questions

alien_host
04-21-2012, 02:44 PM
So DD's 7th birthday is next week and since we had vacation week we decided to surprise her with a trip to the AG store so she could pick out a doll.

When we got to the Mall, DD saw the AG sign and said, "can we go there? I just want to look around". We said maybe after lunch. We went over to the store after lunch and she was in awe. We then told her that she could pick out a doll for her birthday and she was in shock.

She walked around looking at every doll and when she approached the case she would say, "I like this one"...she said that to everyone. At first she said she wanted a dark haired one with brown eyes, but she kept changing her mind. She finally decided on McKenna....DD just started taking gymnastics and I think that sold her. DH kept telling her, just be sure you get the doll you like, you can buy the clothes for any doll. We probably should have gone upstairs to look at the My American Girl dolls, but I was ok with McKenna. I'm not a doll person myself, and would probably prefer a historical doll, but the story w/ McKenna seems pretty decent.

I still worry that DD is not a doll person. The Bitty Baby sits downstairs untouched. But she had the sales lady take out the doll and carried it through the mall. She played with it all yesterday afternoon. She read part of the book last night. Today DD is exhausted from a long week and is playing with McKenna, but McKenna is taking a nap right now ;)

So questions:
1) Is it normal for some hair to fall out? I've told DD she needs to be very careful brushing it and stying it, McKenna has already lost some hair!
2) Do a lot of girls get the matching outfits with the doll? She really wanted it, but I'm just not sure how that looks so I said maybe some of her aunts/uncles would want to get her something. IS AG the only place to get this or are there "knock-offs" for the matching.

I guess that's it for now....I'm sure I'll have more!

Neatfreak
04-21-2012, 11:52 PM
1) I'm so glad that's not just us! My daughter has the official AG hairbrush, and some hair still gets pulled out when she brushes her doll's hair. Even when I brush her doll's hair, too, so I try to brush it pulling as little pressure on the "scalp" as possible.(I'd heard that the AG doll hair was so much nicer than that of other cheaper dolls, but I'm not yet convinced it's not made in the same factory as My Little Pony tails).

2) I haven't seem any girls IRL who dress like their dolls. I suspect that some may be into it, and some aren't. My daughter doesn't have anything to match. She's mostly in her school uniform, anyways.

KrisM
04-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Ours loses some hair, but not a lot. I only know because there is some in the brush. The hair still looks great 9 months later.

DD has 1 matching dress that I got off etsy.com last year. She has matching pajamas from Sears. And, she has a matching wedding dress and tulip fairy dress from Little Dress Up Shop. Otherwise, she dresses her for whatever the doll is going to do that day. But, DD doesn't care that much about the clothes and is more about the accessories.

alien_host
04-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Thank you both for the responses. I hope too much hair doesn't fall out! We are using the AG brush.

KrisM, can you post the etsy seller? I think the AG outfits for girl and doll are so pricey!

We do have two My Dress Up Trunk dresses that also sell doll ones, so that is an option too.

Oh and what is the deal with the string hanging around the dolls neck? Is that supposed to be there? :hysterical:

AngelaS
04-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes, that string is what holds their heads on. It's important. Lol

KrisM
04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
I bought from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MySundayBest?ref=pr_shop_more. Not super cheap, but very nice dresses and very much something DD will wear regularly.

newnana
04-23-2012, 03:40 PM
DD loves to match her doll, and I have never bought anything there. Actually, I don't think I've ever spent more than $25 total for dresses for DD+Doll.

Places we consistently have excellent luck: Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx, Marshalls. But it's easier to find dresses at those places than other kinds of outfits.

This one is $32 right now:
http://www1.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/bcf/Twofer-Embroidered-Dress-Doll-s-Dress-738317613.aspx

There's cute robes at other outfits by Dollie and me sold at Dillard's, Sears, and Macy's:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kids/brands/dollie_me/dollie_me1/girls_716.jsp

Have fun!