PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose a full-time preschool

MommyofAmaya
04-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Poll coming

DS will be attending full-time care next school year for the first time. He has been in a 3 days per week MDO program this year and loves school, but unfortunately, they do not offer full-time care which we will need since I am going to be working full time starting next month.

Our options are:

#1:
Play-based preschool. Large program (500 kids infant-5yo) Awesome playground. Somewhat chaotic atmosphere. Mixed reviews. Spoke to two IRL parents who said that it wasn't a good fit for their child. One of those parents saw two teachers arguing with each other in front of the students. I met a previous employee who said that they do not treat their staff well and force them to come to work sick or they will be fired. 6 minute detour on the commute (each way). $100 less than option 2.

Montessori school. Large program as well, but split up among 6 different (lovely) houses in a neighborhood. Calm-atmosphere. Awesome playground. Saw a few negative internet reviews. Two IRL parents I know love(d) it for their children. 13 minute detour (each way). DS can stay through 5yo if we choose to. His sister attends a GT magnet school and will need to evaluate whether he will be ready for that curriculum at just-turned 5 (late-July bday)

DS: High strung, impulsive, co-dependent, loving, loves to learn.

I am leaning towards the Montessori school, but am concerned about losing 15 extra minutes each day in the car, when I am adjusting to WOHM. I should mention that DH will be doing drop-off and I will be doing pick-up so each of us will only have an extra 7 or 8 minutes. I am also concerned about whether Montessori will be the right fit for my "young" preschooler who needs a lot of nurturing. It could be exactly what he needs or not...

trcy
04-21-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't know much about Montessori, but based on what you said about the 2 options I would vote #2.

smilequeen
04-21-2012, 05:15 PM
I'd pick the Montessori based both on being a Montessori mom and the description you have of the other school. Whether it will be nurturing enough will depend completely on teacher fit. We have very nurturing teachers at our school (3 in a classroom for preschool, so both have had at least one that they just felt ultra connected to when they needed a hug, extra attention, etc.)

ZeeBaby
04-21-2012, 07:25 PM
I would pick option 2 as well. DD1 goes to a school 20minutes out of my way because I thought it was a better fit for her.

schrocat
04-21-2012, 07:32 PM
I would pick the montessori school mostly because academically it would prep your child best for the curriculum at the GT magnet school your daughter is in. My son is currently at a montessori inspired preschool and his teachers are extremely warm and nurturing. It really depends on the teachers your child gets.

wellyes
04-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I almost always favor play based, and my daughter is in playbased. But your option 1 seems too big and chaotic. And an unhappy staff is not what you want at a preschool. Definitely #2.

mjs64
04-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Having had no experience with Montessori, I just wanted to give a voice to OP's concern re the commute. 13 min doesn't sound like a lot, but if you're doing both drop offs and pick ups, then it's an hour out of your day. FWIW, my son goes to a large center (NAEYC, or whatever the ackroynym is) that runs through kindy, with a huge, awesome playground. We've been very, very happy there.

staceyeileen
04-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Those are your only two options?

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
I can hear it in the way you describe the programs which one you want. 2. :) I agree with pp, are those the only choices? Nothing wrong with them but wondering what the other ones in the pool were.

MommyofAmaya
04-21-2012, 10:11 PM
These two are our best options and they both have a spot available for the Fall now. Registration is late-Feb early March around here and the other preschool options in the area have long wait lists anyway or have similar problems and worse reputations. We could probably get into a regular daycare, but I just hired a summer nanny so the kids could stay together during the summer during such a transitioning time in our family.

I really want to prefer #1, but am having difficulty getting past the "stories". School #1 is easier to get into, so if #2 doesn't work out, we could likely switch to #1. Vice versa, School #2 would probably have a wait list.

HannaAddict
04-22-2012, 02:34 AM
I hit the wrong button, based on your post I would do montessori. We do play based but long term staff, all get along, no bad reviews so generations go there. We will be on kid number 3 next year.