PDA

View Full Version : Design help! What goes together better?

dukie41181
04-21-2012, 10:36 PM
I have a chair that will be going in my office and I'm trying to match a desk Which desk matches better?

Desk #1 (Liatrop at Ikea): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30103676/

Desk #2 (Bedford at Pottery Barn): http://lansing.craigslist.org/fuo/2952717439.html

ourbabygirl
04-21-2012, 10:38 PM
I like the simple, clean lines of the desk at Ikea (and the knobs, in particular). The PB one seems a little more modern.
If you could find an Ikea-style one in brown, that would go really well, IMO. :)

trcy
04-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I am no expert, but I prefer desk 2 with that chair.

eno0609
04-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Desk #2

dukie41181
04-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the opinions! Please keep them coming!

WatchingThemGrow
04-22-2012, 08:11 AM
I keep looking at the 2 choices, and neither is what I'd expect to see with that chair, but it could be fun!

Since it is an actual working desk, I would choose based on the functionality. Which kind of storage do you need? Will it bother you to need to move it and vacuum under the IKEA desk? Are the dimensions of both right for you? Is one easier to get than the other?

dukie41181
04-22-2012, 08:18 AM
I keep looking at the 2 choices, and neither is what I'd expect to see with that chair, but it could be fun!

Since it is an actual working desk, I would choose based on the functionality. Which kind of storage do you need? Will it bother you to need to move it and vacuum under the IKEA desk? Are the dimensions of both right for you? Is one easier to get than the other?

Are you expecting something more ornate?

lhafer
04-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I was expecting a slightly more ornate desk for that chair, and I don't really think either desk goes with that particular chair. #2 is a little more ornate than the Ikea one, so of the choices, I would go with #2.

Are you going to keep the fabric of the chair, or recover it?

dukie41181
04-22-2012, 08:29 AM
I was expecting a slightly more ornate desk for that chair, and I don't really think either desk goes with that particular chair. #2 is a little more ornate than the Ikea one, so of the choices, I would go with #2.

Are you going to keep the fabric of the chair, or recover it?

I hadn't thought about it yet. I would certainly be open to recovering if I knew how to do it!

Jo..
04-22-2012, 08:56 AM

I expected a fancier/more formal wooden desk that matched the wood tones of the chair. The white is a complete surprise.

dukie41181
04-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Hmmmmm. Now I'm wondering if I need to ditch the chair?! I really like it but ornate everything is so not my taste!

soontobe
04-22-2012, 09:29 AM
I expected a fancier/more formal wooden desk that matched the wood tones of the chair. The white is a complete surprise.

Exactly what I was thinking

indigo99
04-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I like the PB desk and a more modern design in the office. I do like the chair but would find somewhere else for it.

crl
04-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm not handy enough to do this, but I think if the desks are more your style you could marry the two by making over the chair. You could paint the frame white and recover it in a leather or vinyl (I am thinking a pop of color, but you could also do pale grey). Then I think the more ornate lines of the chair would look like a playful contrast to the more modern lines of the desk.

Catherine

elbenn
04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I also expected a stained wood desk instead of a white one to go with that chair.

larig
04-22-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm not handy enough to do this, but I think if the desks are more your style you could marry the two by making over the chair. You could paint the frame white and recover it in a leather or vinyl (I am thinking a pop of color, but you could also do pale grey). Then I think the more ornate lines of the chair would look like a playful contrast to the more modern lines of the desk.

Catherine

Yes, I'm thinking the fabric and painting the wood on the chair white or even a bold color like orange or some other trendy color. That would make it less fussy.

nc_hope
04-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Yes, I'm thinking the fabric and painting the wood on the chair white or even a bold color like orange or some other trendy color. That would make it less fussy.

:yeahthat: IMO, the chair as it is now does not go well with a white desk of any type. It currently has a very formal/ornate feel that does not match up with the desks you linked. That being said I think if you were willing to paint/recover the chair, it could work well. My favorite desk is the PB desk. To go with it, you could paint the chair white, a warm grey (very popular in the design world right now) or even black. For fabrics I would choose either a solid (like a khaki linen) or a small, clean print. I love projects like this! :love5:

meggie t
04-22-2012, 04:43 PM

:yeahthat:
I think the "traditional" lines of the Ikea desk work better but I would paint the chair white and reupholster. Or find a desk in wood tones.

WatchingThemGrow
04-22-2012, 05:59 PM
:hysterical:golly, OP, sorry to have caused you all this work! painting, recovering the chair, etc. I like the idea of a white chair with a gray cushion. I'm thinking gray microfiber...

dukie41181
04-22-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm thinking there just has to be a way to marry a modern design with a few more traditional pieces. You know, the 80/20 rule! ;) I too like the idea of painting and recovering the chair but thats a lot of work! This would be a perfect time to know an interior designer!

justlearning
04-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Is that chair intended to be used with a desk? It seems to me that it's an occasional chair for a living room. Personally, I'd prefer a desk chair to be functional, which to me means that it'd need to be more upright than that chair, not as wide, and have wheels. Perhaps your chair is upright and has wheels--it's hard to tell from that picture.

mackmama
04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
I prefer #1 with that chair.

arivecchi
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
I think that combo could work with some tweaking as suggested by larig. Reminds me of this image:

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/bourdonnais-desk/furniture/desks/12034?listIndex=11