PDA

View Full Version : I phone 4 vs. 4Sor Droid Razr

Nooknookmom
04-22-2012, 02:59 AM
I have needed a new phone for a long time, my old one is a Env touch and duct taped together b/c I drop it all the time. The battery is no use, if it get too hot the phone dies. I carry an ice pack for my phone - stop laughing... :)

I have a $100 credit at Verizon, WWYD? I hate my android tablet and am trying to get BBuy to take the unworthy thing back for and I Pad. So the I phone would be nice to sync w/ an I pad IF I can get one.

The Droid I guess, has other features, but I hate android thus far. I like I tunes, simplicity and function. I am lost.

I can basically get the I phone 4 for tax - since I have the credit. Is the 4S worth more$$? I don't like Siri or whatever it's called-would annoy me.

What sucks is that I have a Grandfathered in data plan of $15 per mo and its unlimited. I don't want to be *phone poor*, I WILL use the internet all the time, so I don't want to worry about going over. I guess the new deal would be 4G per mo for $30 vs my current $15.

Would you pay the $10 per mo for the insurance? I do drop my phone a lot (arthritis).

TIA-you all know your gadgets and I appreciate the advice!!

kboyle
04-22-2012, 08:55 AM
if you get the iphone buy applecare vs the montly ins. it's $100 and covers two accidental damages thru apple.com/applestore.

Penny's Pappa
04-22-2012, 09:48 AM
The main technical advantages of the 4s over the 4 are a faster, more powerful processor and an updated 8 megapixel camera with improved optics. If those things matter to you then maybe you should go for the 4s. Otherwise the 4 is a fine phone. Perhaps the biggest downside of the 4 is that it is no longer offered in any size other than the 8GB version. If you need/want any more space than that you'll have to bump up to the 4s. Personally, I'd spend the extra for the 4s; I need at least 16GB just for my music.

As for the data, Verizon should grandfather you into your unlimited data plan.

As for the insurance, skip it and get AppleCare instead. Also, it sounds like you're a good candidate for an OtterBox Defender phone case. It'll turn your phone into a tank.

larig
04-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I have needed a new phone for a long time, my old one is a Env touch and duct taped together b/c I drop it all the time. The battery is no use, if it get too hot the phone dies. I carry an ice pack for my phone - stop laughing... :)

I have a $100 credit at Verizon, WWYD? I hate my android tablet and am trying to get BBuy to take the unworthy thing back for and I Pad. So the I phone would be nice to sync w/ an I pad IF I can get one.

The Droid I guess, has other features, but I hate android thus far. I like I tunes, simplicity and function. I am lost.

I can basically get the I phone 4 for tax - since I have the credit. Is the 4S worth more$$? I don't like Siri or whatever it's called-would annoy me.

What sucks is that I have a Grandfathered in data plan of $15 per mo and its unlimited. I don't want to be *phone poor*, I WILL use the internet all the time, so I don't want to worry about going over. I guess the new deal would be 4G per mo for $30 vs my current $15.

Would you pay the $10 per mo for the insurance? I do drop my phone a lot (arthritis).

TIA-you all know your gadgets and I appreciate the advice!!

The iPhones aren't 4G, so does that mean your data plan would be the cheaper $15/month (I don't have verizon, but a grandfathered unlimited plan on AT&T)? Something I'd ask, if I were you.

The other difference (apart from Siri) is that the 4s has a better camera and processor. It will be a better phone over the long-term because of the processor. The iPhone 4 is already almost 2 years old and you can only get it in one size, right? The lack of much storage of the 4 would probably be a reason to get the 4s for me. Finally, I know you don't like Siri, but with arthritis, you might come to love her. I hate typing on virtual keyboards (beginnings of carpal tunnel), so Siri really helps me there.

I can't speak to Android stuff, but it seems if you're trying to get an iPad it would be cheaper owning both iOS devices in terms of the apps--you buy an app for one, and you can put it on both.

wellyes
04-22-2012, 10:08 AM
I have an iphone 4 and it is great. The 4s is probably better, but the 4 is definitely good enough.

2crazykids
04-22-2012, 10:17 AM
If you want to keep it simple then go with iphone4.. siri is still in beta, so people with it basically paid extra $ to be a beta tester for apple. Siri won't be what it should for another 2-3 years.
I just had this conversation with the people at my Verizon store... apple is a more simple phone, its made to be 100% user friendly. That said, I went with the droid RAZR .. and I love it. But I've been using droid since it came out 3 years ago... creature of habit lol

Good luck in choosing!

BillK
04-22-2012, 01:12 PM
If you have unlimited data with VZW now you'll continue to have it regardless of whether your replacement phone is 3G or 4G unless something has changed that I've not heard about.

Sounds like you're an Apple person already and dislike Android so I'd recommend you get an iPhone - even with the crappy 3G speed compared to a 4G phone.

Nooknookmom
04-22-2012, 02:12 PM
If you have unlimited data with VZW now you'll continue to have it regardless of whether your replacement phone is 3G or 4G unless something has changed that I've not heard about.

Sounds like you're an Apple person already and dislike Android so I'd recommend you get an iPhone - even with the crappy 3G speed compared to a 4G phone.

They told me yesterday that I HAD to change my data plan to what equal 4gigs of data per month for $30. They could be pulling my chain too, I dunno.

swissair81
04-22-2012, 02:17 PM
If you want to keep it simple then go with iphone4.. siri is still in beta, so people with it basically paid extra $ to be a beta tester for apple. Siri won't be what it should for another 2-3 years.

It is possible to disable Siri in the settings. I discovered this because my mother is super irritated with the Siri on her phone. She told Siri to go away the other day when she pressed something by accident, and Siri wanted to know what it had done to deserve such treatment. My mother called me up laughing hysterically- something about not wanting to have to worry about offending her phone.

BillK
04-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Well my plan has been unlimited forever and hasn't changed at all since upgrading from 2 Droid X's to 2 Galaxy Nexus's. Not sure about the $15/mo thing as mine's been $30/mo as long as I can remember. I guess it's possible. I'd HATE to be stuck with a tiered plan myself.

Nooknookmom
04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I just had this conversation with the people at my Verizon store... apple is a more simple phone, its made to be 100% user friendly. That said, I went with the droid RAZR .. and I love it. But I've been using droid since it came out 3 years ago... creature of habit lol

Good luck in choosing!

See, I hear that once you get thru the learning curve, people love the Razr. I just hate that curve.

Nooknookmom
04-22-2012, 02:30 PM
It is possible to disable Siri in the settings. I discovered this because my mother is super irritated with the Siri on her phone. She told Siri to go away the other day when she pressed something by accident, and Siri wanted to know what it had done to deserve such treatment. My mother called me up laughing hysterically- something about not wanting to have to worry about offending her phone.

ROTFL...I do not want to have to worry about offending my phone! Omg, I'd worry that the thing was secretly recording my every word and tracking me...plotting her revenge, lol!

Penny's Pappa
04-22-2012, 04:42 PM
I've had the unlimited data package for the iPhone since it was first released on Verizon. It is $30/month and I was grandfathered in when I got my 4s a couple weeks ago.

If you have an older $15/month plan, they may no longer be grandfathering that in. I'd rather stay on an unlimited plan too (just in case) but honestly I could jump down to a 4GB plan without much worry. I never come close to that much mobile data since I'm on wifi most of the day. Try to get grandfathered in, but if you can't it probably isn't the end of the world.

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

AnnieW625
04-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Well I would go with a 4s if you aren't happy with your Android tablet. I also wouldn't be surprised if Verizon cancelled your $15 data plan too. When I got my IPhone 4s they switched me from my old 2005 plan where I had the option for $5 250 texts to the current plan, which only has the $10 1000 plan. I still get 15% off my line a month so not all is lost. I opted to not get the texting plan. I also have the $30 2 gig. data plan and use the internet a lot (except for you tube unless I am at home or a wifi hotspot) and have never gone over the 2 gigs.

I too had a $100 off new every 2 credit so I went for the 4s even though I could have gotten the 4 for free. We keep our phones for a long time so paying more for the 4s just made more sense for us. My iPhone is only my 3rd phone in 10 yrs. .

We got AppleCare through Apple for both of our phones. Oh and to get your $100 off your phone you need to get your phone through Verizon.

eta: As far as I know Verizon no longer offers Unlimited data for $30/ month. I believe they offer 150mgb of data for $25, 2 gig for $30, and then it is $10 more for every 1 gig extra.

2crazykids
04-22-2012, 08:06 PM
See, I hear that once you get thru the learning curve, people love the Razr. I just hate that curve.

At first it did take some getting used to, especially since I'm used to the Apple platform with my Mac computer ... but the RAZR really is a great phone.
In regards to data plans.. my husband and I have been with Verizon for 5 years, before you got charged per gigabytes used .. and when we recently renewed our contacts we were told that we were grandfathered in.. we still have a true unlimited data plan. Ask about that!

Uno-Mom
04-22-2012, 11:19 PM
I loved my Droid Incredible and the only reason I got the 4S instead was because all the new Droids are HUGE.

I am liking the iphone. The web surfing is much nicer, I like the windows. The camera is amazing!!

I got screwed with the data plan, though. Now I keep going "over". I need to get that figured out.

Nooknookmom
04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
I loved my Droid Incredible and the only reason I got the 4S instead was because all the new Droids are HUGE.

I am liking the iphone. The web surfing is much nicer, I like the windows. The camera is amazing!!

I got screwed with the data plan, though. Now I keep going "over". I need to get that figured out.

First off thanks to all and thx Annie...you hit all the points head on. So you keep going over on the I phone? Thats what I don't want to worry about. The Razr is HUGE, the display is better though and for my arthritic fingers easier to type on.

I just went online and I can get the Razr for free. Ugh!!! WHAT DO I DO?????

GaPeach_in_Ca
04-23-2012, 02:54 PM
I have a Razr. I think it's fabulous. I love the display. I don't use many aps, so that's not a big issue for me. (Temple run finally came to Android, though, in case you want to get addicted.)

I use navigation (Google turn-by-turn is great) and web surf mainly. The voice-to-text is really quite good. I use it a lot for my web searches. I usually use the swype to input text.

We also have a 4th G iPod touch and I prefer my phone, but that's probably because I'm used to it. They are both just fine.

Nooknookmom
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I have a Razr. I think it's fabulous. I love the display. I don't use many aps, so that's not a big issue for me. (Temple run finally came to Android, though, in case you want to get addicted.)

I use navigation (Google turn-by-turn is great) and web surf mainly. The voice-to-text is really quite good. I use it a lot for my web searches. I usually use the swype to input text.

We also have a 4th G iPod touch and I prefer my phone, but that's probably because I'm used to it. They are both just fine.

I have swipe on my tablet and of all the input methods it love it most. Eh, here I go talking myself into something again, but MAYBE in 2 yrs, there will be an even better i phone....I just love free (plus fees i'm sure).

Yet I so want an I phone. I'm awful, just can't make a choice.