PDA

View Full Version : How to get strong smells out of plastic?

ang79
04-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Last week my girls bought some of those stainless steel bottles w/ sports tops at Old Navy. They love using them, guess they feel like big kids :) I rinsed them out Thursday night and let them air dry on the counter, and apparently a stink bug got inside the underside of the plastic cap, then got squished when I screwed the lid on it on Friday afternoon, thus making the bottle stink. I let both the bottle and cap sit in hot soapy water for several hours Fri. night, and the cap still stunk. Yesterday I let it soak in straight lemon juice pretty much all day, then washed it again, but it still stinks like stink bug :( I now have it sitting in a sealed ziplock baggie w/ baking soda, then I was going to soak it in vinegar. Any other options? The bottle was not expensive and I don't mind replacing it, but it was a clearance one and the last one left in that color/pattern, which she loves :( Darn stink bugs, I'm so tired of them, they're everywhere in my house!

let73
04-22-2012, 04:13 PM
What about adding baking soda to absorb the smell?

cmo
04-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Maybe try leaving it out for several hours in direct sunshine?

ang79
04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe try leaving it out for several hours in direct sunshine?

Would gladly try this but its been cold and rainy here all day and I think that's supposed to continue through most of the week :( Have it soaking in a baking soda/hot water combo right now.......will try vinegar next.

KLD313
04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Ive had good luck with baking soda, vinegar and vanilla extract all mixed together.

ang79
04-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Ive had good luck with baking soda, vinegar and vanilla extract all mixed together.

Ooh, didn't think about vanilla, thanks! What ratio do you use and how long do you soak?