PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractor during pregnancy?

KLD313
04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Has anyone been to one? My back is done! I'm 21 wks pg and I know it will only get worse but I can't see how it can get much worse than it already is. After I had my first baby I went to see one that practiced the Korean Specific Technique so it was hands off, no manipulation. It really didn't help and then she kind of irked me so I stopped going.

My midwife says I should go to one to get everything better before birth but I'm kind of scared, don't know why.

So, any experiences you can share?

pinay
04-22-2012, 06:47 PM
I've been seeing my chiropractor since before I got pregnant, and actually think that getting regular adjustments may have aided us in getting pregnant because we've struggled for years prior to this. I see my chiro once a week and he's good about making sure I'm comfortable during a session. I've gone in with complaints about my lower back and the relief I feel is immediate, and actually even improves the following day.

I also saw a chiropractor when I was pregnant with DD and he helped immensely- labor was pretty quick even though I was induced and it was my first, and he liked to claim credit for it ;)

Does your midwife have any recommendations for you? It might help reassure you if you are referred to someone who is accustomed to working with pregnant patients. Hope you find some relief soon!

waitingforgrace
04-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes I did while pregnant with DD2. I was to the point I could barely walk from sciatica pain by 20 wks. My chiro specializes in pregnancy and children. I was cautious as I had never been to a chiro before but after talking with her I was comfortable with it and it made a huge difference for me. I went 3x per week for a while and went at least once a week through the rest of my pregnancy. She also helped me with the round ligament pain. I would definitely do it again.

queenmama
04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
I, too, have been going regularly. My hips and pelvis kill me if I go too long without. My doctor doesn't do "normal" chiropractic, though. He practices the Meridian method as well as acupuncture & acupressure. I told him I'm going to stop in for an adjustment when I'm on my way to deliver!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Tondi G
04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Yes I did while pregnant with my boys. I was having issues with sciatica pain and the chiro fixed me right up! I highly recommend it! My DH and I both see a chiropractor. I would like to go more often for regular visits but our insurance only covers a small portion.

AngelaS
04-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Yes! It helped me feel so much better!

Jenn850
04-23-2012, 08:20 AM
I went to a chiro to get DS to flip when he was breech. It actually worked, but it didn't help my back pain. I wouldn't worry about hurting baby if you find someone who specializes in pregnancy or woman's health. You might rather spend the time with a masseuse or a physical therapist. I went to a PT twice early on this time and she gave me some exercises to do that cured my sciatica and have made my back really comfortable until now. I am 33 weeks. Just a thought.

mctlaw
04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I tried a chiro for sacroiliac pain and she was not much help. I then got PT which helped a lot more. That being said, I'll probably visit the chiro a couple more times before my due date, for the supposed benefits in helping with proper positioning for birth.

KLD313
04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll give it a try and keep PT I'm the back of my head in case the chiro doesnt work.

TahliasMom
04-27-2012, 04:40 AM
I plan to go my whole pregnancy. I had lots of hip and lower back pain because I carried dd so low. It was tremendous help. I only got sciatic pain at the end and the chiro worked wonders.

Katigre
04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I see my chiro about once a month this pregnancy. It's not specifically for pg-related issues but rather for my TMJ - I can tell when my jaw is getting out of alignment as I wake up clenching and with a sore mouth and the chiro resolves it which is great. It does feel SO GOOD after being adjusted pg-wise and it can help with pelvic positioning and such for the baby.

amldaley
04-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Has anyone been to one? My back is done! I'm 21 wks pg and I know it will only get worse but I can't see how it can get much worse than it already is. After I had my first baby I went to see one that practiced the Korean Specific Technique so it was hands off, no manipulation. It really didn't help and then she kind of irked me so I stopped going.

My midwife says I should go to one to get everything better before birth but I'm kind of scared, don't know why.

So, any experiences you can share?

I was scared, too. I actually thought chiropracty was snake oil. But it turned out my OB was a chiropractor b/f she became an OB! She adjusted me a couple of times. I was having alot of issues with my neck and shoulders. She did down to my mid back but I have a pinched nerve between L4 & L5 and I hate anyone messing with me there.

I would not just go one time before the birth - I would go a couple of times to start slow and build up a confidence with your practioner.

Good luck!!!!!

NCGrandma
04-28-2012, 06:46 PM
I was scared, too. I actually thought chiropracty was snake oil. But it turned out my OB was a chiropractor b/f she became an OB! She adjusted me a couple of times. I was having alot of issues with my neck and shoulders. She did down to my mid back but I have a pinched nerve between L4 & L5 and I hate anyone messing with me there.

I would not just go one time before the birth - I would go a couple of times to start slow and build up a confidence with your practioner.

Good luck!!!!!

I also have a snake-oil bias and have no personal experience with chiropractic. However, I had very good success with osteopathic manipulation for sacroiliac joint pain. Guess it was a combination of the technique and my confidence in an osteopathic physician. I wasn't pregnant, but the DO who treated me was actually studying manipulation for sacroiliac pain during pregnancy.