PDA

View Full Version : Chicco key fit with uppa baby hood?

JessK87
04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
We are far from having our baby but are all about researching early! We have found the Chicco keyfit 30 to be a top safety pick. People main complaints are sweaty (all car seat reviews no matter what the brand.) Heavy (again all say this) wont fit into car seat cart (would no do that even if it did.) and lack of sun protection. Comparing to the graco in store this seems quite true. I am very pale and sensitive to the sun and I know a baby can be especially sensitive. So I am looking into putting on the Uppa Baby cabana. Does anyone have an experience with this? WWYD I really dont like the Gracos or the Pegs.

swissair81
04-22-2012, 07:48 PM
If your baby is the type to get sweaty, I'm thinking the cabana will make the inside of your car seat like a sauna. Letting baby get overheated is not safe either. My baby is only in the car seat in the car, and I have a sunshade on my side window that blocks sun.

legaleagle
04-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Chicco is the only company that allows this cotton after-market cover: http://www.bokoocovers.com/Chicco-KeyFit-and-KeyFit-30-Cover.html

I haven't used either, personally, because we do convertibles from birth, so no sun shade at all. I just put a hat on the baby to keep the sun out of the eyes, and will hopefully be getting the car windows tinted soon.

JessK87
04-23-2012, 02:03 AM
The Uppababy cabana infant sunshade has ventilation on the sides I was hoping more for in person reviews. If you saw it IRL you would see its impossible to over heat. It has a sun protection in the middle with mesh all around the sides. Im just not happy with the chicco shade cover I feel it could be much bigger. But out of all the car seats I think it will be the easiest to install, safest, and better quality. So i guess the sunshade is not a deal breaker. I think I will end up with the cabana too.

Joolsplus2
04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Is it like this Brica one? http://www.amazon.com/Brica-Infant-Comfort-Canopy-Cover/dp/B005FWCEGG I really like that one...well honestly I've never seen one in action on a Chicco, I've never seen anyone bother to put different canopies on their seats in my neighborhood, come to think of it... (sigh. I live in Gracoland...)
Oh, this one model of Key Fit has a mesh section at the head area so you can pull it way forward for shade over the body and there's meshy sunblocky shade at the top... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12152068

JessK87
04-23-2012, 09:05 AM
yes the Uppababy is exactly like the brica one. I think I might like he brica one better! I looked at the chicco magic I don't think the an extra 50 bucks is worth just a little extra sun protection. Graco is def bigger even compared to the chicco magic.

swissair81
04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I was under the impression that the Chicco magic doesn't have the same amazing newborn padding as the keyfit. I've seen online complaints about it.

Joolsplus2
04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
I was under the impression that the Chicco magic doesn't have the same amazing newborn padding as the keyfit. I've seen online complaints about it.

Oh hmmm... from appearance alone (on the floor and babies passing by in the store, lol), I way prefer the Magic, the headrest doesn't push those wee heads so far forward as can happen in the regular one.