PDA

View Full Version : Baby Name Help

jjjo1112
04-22-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm due next week with baby #4 and still don't have a name. I know names on this board tend to be more skewed towards traditional, but would still love opinions anyways. Siblings are DS Tristan, DD1 Avery and DD2 Sage and we want something that fits in well with these names. This will be DD3 for us. Thanks!!

wellyes
04-22-2012, 08:03 PM
I like Fable, with Hazel as a backup. Sloane is a bit too posh for me, and Rowan is still a boy's name. I am not a huge fan of London as a city.

sntm
04-22-2012, 08:12 PM
I like Sloane (loved it since Ferris Beuller) and Hazel

DietCokeLover
04-22-2012, 08:21 PM
I love how Sloane sounds with your other DCs names.

SnuggleBuggles
04-22-2012, 08:49 PM
I think Hazel fits really well with the family.

AnnieW625
04-22-2012, 08:54 PM
I like Hazel, but I also like Sloane, and Rowan. I voted other because I just can't decide. Not a huge fan of Fable at all, and while London is okay I think that is way more trendy than Sloane.
I don't think Rowan is strictly a boys name either. I am not a huge fan of boy names for girls, but Rowan just works IMHO.

My DD2 was almost named Lauren Elizabeth, but we decided on Lauren Christine. My sister is Sarah Elizabeth. I also like the following names with Elizabeth:

Mary
Charlotte
Violet
Chloe
Maya
Rachel
Julia
Scarlett
Taylor

LMPC
04-22-2012, 08:56 PM
I like London and Hazel :) (although I trend more towards traditional names, I have always loved the name London)

HIU8
04-22-2012, 08:58 PM
My DD2 was almost named Lauren Elizabeth, but we decided on Lauren Christine. My sister is Sarah Elizabeth. I also like the following names with Elizabeth:

My DD was almost named Lauren Elizabeth. We ended up going with a different first name and used Lauren as her middle name. But I LOVE Lauren Elizabeth.

OP, name suggestions:

Audra
Cloe
Riley
Marin
Taryn

Of your list, the only first name I like is London.

MSWR0319
04-22-2012, 09:01 PM
My favorite is Sloane, but if you aren't into having two S names, I think London is my second favorite.

sweetsue98
04-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I love Hazel and London. Not a fan of Sloane or Rowan.

jjjo1112
04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the replies!! It has been really difficult this time around :) DH really loves Rowan, but for me- I love it as a boy's name. I really love Hazel and while DH likes it, he doesn't love it. I also really like Sloane but since we already have an S name and our favorite boy's name starts with an S, I'm not sure I want to use an S name now. London is the name that we both can agree on, but it's a little trendier than I was hoping for.

indigo99
04-22-2012, 10:24 PM
I like Brooklyn if you like place names. My sister almost used it for my niece but went with Lakelen instead (goes by Lake). Her sister is Skyelen (goes by Skye). Guess what their brother's name is. Landon... don't think they'll call him Land though. Savannah is also a nice place.

KpbS
04-22-2012, 10:48 PM
I really like PP suggestion of Violet. I also like Piper, Stella, Mallory, and Naomi to go with your other DC's names.

ETA also a personal favorite of mine, Kendall, would be a nice addition. GL with your decision!

katydid1971
04-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Love love love Sloane

Tondi G
04-23-2012, 01:51 AM
I chose Rowan ... I knew both a boy and a girl named Rowan in High School. I actually see it more as a girls name now. I wouldn't name a son a name that it trending towards becoming a girls name.

London is actually a boys name to me ... I know it's become quite popular as a girls name these days. My SIL dated an awful guy named London so that killed the name as a whole for me.

How about

Paige Elizabeth
Georgia Elizabeth
Charlotte Elizabeth
Claire Elizabeth
Norah Elizabeth

MoJo
04-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Hazel was on my long list & was my vote (in my case, because I was hoping for a name somehow connected to my deceased father, and he had hazel eyes.) My biggest concern is having two "color" names.

I also like Rowan for you, and thought so before I saw it was your DH's first choice!

I'm playing in my head with Quinn, but Quinn Elizabeth might be too much!

klwa
04-23-2012, 07:45 AM
I like London best, with Rowan a distant second. Rowan seems more masculine, which is the only reason it's further down (my) list.

ETA; I don't know ANY Londons in real life. Is it trending in your area or just in general? If it's your area, I'd lean towards not using it, but if it's just in general, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

JBaxter
04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Sloane or London are my choices.

Rowan a 3rd

I really dislike Hazel makes me think old lady.

ourbabygirl
04-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Same as Jeana...

Sloane first,
then London,
then Rowan,
then Hazel.

I agree that it makes me think of an old lady (like Mabel, Esther, Pearl, etc.). But I think Julia Roberts has a daughter named Hazel :), and does Brooke Shields have a daughter named Rowan? I also like Sloane best with the mn Elizabeth, but think that a PP's suggestions w/Elizabeth are also very pretty!
Thanks for letting us join in on the naming fun, and I hope you and your DH can agree on one soon! :hug:

lizzywednesday
04-23-2012, 08:27 AM
I like Rowan, but I think that goes back to hearing it as a girls' name in an Anne Rice novel decades ago.

FWIW, I've never heard it used as a boy's name, but this may just be the circles I move in.

marymoo86
04-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Sloane or London are my choices.

Rowan a 3rd

I really dislike Hazel makes me think old lady.

:yeahthat:

My favorite Sunday School teacher was Mrs Hazel and yes she was "old" in her late 60s. I tend to shy away from what big celebrities name their kids and I think that is one of Julia Roberts' twins.

MommyofAmaya
04-23-2012, 08:50 AM
:love5:

Love all of your choices! Sloane is one of my all time favorite names. I know little girls named Hazel and London and also one named Holland, which I also like. I also know an adult Rowan.

Another that might fit your style and I prefer to Fable is Fallon.

ETA: Thinking about this has made me realize that all of the people I know with these names are artists or musicians of some type (or children of the same).

swissair81
04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Sloane makes me think of that family in Anne of Green Gables that everyone deals with, but doesn't like. Maybe I just don't get out enough :D

My favorite of your choices is Hazel.

janine
04-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I sense an English theme with your name choices..
For me, I love the name Sloane. I like that it's posh (and pretty), and a bit unusal without being trendy.

wellyes
04-23-2012, 09:25 AM
There is a famous English comic named Rowan Atkinson which is all I can think of when I hear that name. He was in Blackadder with Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie, but he's probably most famous for the slapstick character Mr. Bean.

Clarity
04-23-2012, 09:31 AM
What about Blythe? I think it's traditional and unusual all at once and it fits well with the names of your other children.

mama2g03
04-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I like all of your choices, but Fable is my least favorite. If you are looking for suggestions I once worked with a nice young girl named Hollis and have always liked that name. I couldn't get DH on board with it so couldn't use it. Good luck!

Momit
04-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Love Rowan Elizabeth. That exact combination was one of my top choices had DS been a girl. I think Rowan is a strong and beautiful name for a girl.

trcy
04-23-2012, 10:31 AM
How about

Paige Elizabeth
Georgia Elizabeth
Charlotte Elizabeth
Claire Elizabeth
Norah Elizabeth
I voted for Hazel, but really like Paige.

elliput
04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Of the choices you have here, I like Hazel the best. I agree that Rowan is more of a male name, so have you considered the female version, Rowena?

jjjo1112
04-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks again everyone!!
I actually like the name Holland/Hollis but hate the nickname Holly and think that would be a given as she got older.
Paige is a beautiful name but rhymes with Sage and therefore doesn't work for us.
I hadn't even thought about Sage and Hazel both being colors- I guess it doesn't bother me because I tend to think more of the spice with Sage than the color? I do have hazel eyes but none of my children do (yet anyways).
Violet is nice but I hear it pretty often and want something less popular.

As far as popularity- London ranks the highest on the SSA database at 108, Hazel is 2nd in the 200 range, Rowan is 3rd in the 400 range and Sloane is last on the 500 range. We live outside of Boston and I have heard quite a few Rowan's, and a couple London's. I have not personally met any Hazel's or Sloane's. We have decided to take Fable off our list to limit it to just 4 names.

wellyes
04-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Aw, I voted for Fable. I think it is a very special name for a 4th child. But you have lot of good choice :) Good luck!

sariana
04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I like Rowan because of the Anne McCaffrey book/character. She is my all-time favorite author, and the Rowan's daughter's husband is my all-time favorite character. Was that complicated enough for you?

I would avoid Sloane because then you would have two S's (with Sage), and I personally like to be able to use single initials for things like family night score cards, mini golf score cards, etc. Silly, I know, but those kinds of things matter to me.

If it matters to you, the rowan is a type of tree, which I think is kind of cool.

roobee
04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I really, really like Sloane, I don't care for London or Rowan. I like Hazel quite a bit, and dislike Fabel.

I'm really fond of the name Wren and that kind of sounds like a prettier version of Rowan to me.

And someone mentioned Rowan being a type of tree, which reminded me of Linden - which I also think sounds like a prettier version of London.

Clarity
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
And someone mentioned Rowan being a type of tree, which reminded me of Linden - which I also think sounds like a prettier version of London.

I LIKE Linden! Very pretty.

sweet_pea
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I voted for "Hazel" but I also love the idea of Linden.

rkold
04-23-2012, 02:38 PM
I voted for Rowan, I think it goes best with your other DDs names. Avery and Sage are also very ambisexual names which can be used for boys as well (Avery Brooks for example..) so I think another ambisexual name like Rowan works. I think Hazel is an interesting name but I honestly think it sounds weird with your other DC's names. It's very old fashioned while Avery (for girls) and Sage are very modern. Tristan is old, but has really come back.

One of my mommy friends named her DD Lexington, which could work for you. They call their DD Lexi, which I think is an adorable nickname. I also agree with PPs about Quinn being a cute name and one that would work with your other DCs.

dec756
04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
i realllyyy love london

curiousgeorge
04-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I love Sloane. If we had a girl she would most likely have been Sloan Allison. I think it goes well with the rest of your DC's names.

AnnieW625
04-23-2012, 04:40 PM
What about Sybil?

The only London I have ever known was a boy who is probably 14 yrs. old now (a friend's ex's son), and I think one of David Beckham's boys is London also.

jjjo1112
05-18-2012, 11:42 AM
I just wanted to update and let you know that Sloane Elizabeth was born by successful VBAC on May 4th. She weighed 8 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 inches long. I included a picture- thanks for all the naming insights!!

AnnieW625
05-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Congratulations! What a cutie. Glad you found a name you liked.

kdeunc
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Congratulations! She is beautiful and so is her name!

hopeful_mama
05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Congratulations, how beautiful! Hope everyone is doing well!

crl
05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Congratulations!

Catherine

smiles33
05-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl and a great name, to boot!

dec756
05-18-2012, 01:28 PM
WOW!~!!!! she is gorgeous and the name fits her perfectly! congrats momma:cheerleader1:

lmh2402
05-18-2012, 01:38 PM
congratulations!!! she's beautiful :) :heartbeat:

daphne
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Congratulations! She's gorgeous & her name flows perfectly w/her sisters'!

KpbS
05-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Congratulations! She's too cute.

MoJo
05-19-2012, 07:24 AM
So precious and great outcome! Welcome & congratulations!

jenstring95
05-19-2012, 10:09 PM
FWIW, I've never heard it used as a boy's name, but this may just be the circles I move in.

The only Rowan I've ever known is a girl (5yo). I think it's a beautiful name.

Oops - that's what I get for not ready the whole thread before I post. Sloane is a beautiful name, just as she is a beautiful baby! Congratulations!!

BDKmom
05-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Congrats! She is precious.

Tondi G
05-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Congrats! She is beautiful!

123LuckyMom
05-20-2012, 04:37 AM
I didn't read the responses, but my name, first and middle, is on your list! I laughed out loud!!! Just so you know, in England Sloane is a name you call people that is akin to calling them a prep or a preppy snob. It comes from Sloane Square (an area of London) and the Sloane Rangers. If you plan to live in the UK, you might want to choose a different name.

123LuckyMom
05-20-2012, 04:42 AM
Oh, I'm sorry for not reading that you already named your beautiful girl!!! Well, as a fellow Sloane Elizabeth, I welcome her! (And if she ever lives extensively in the UK or is continually called Simone and needs some support, send her my way!)

g-mama
05-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Congrats on your new baby girl - she is beautiful!

katydid1971
05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
What a little doll. I love the name!!! Congratulations!!!