PDA

View Full Version : Law School Graduation Gift Help!

BabyH
04-22-2012, 09:09 PM
My brother is graduating law school in a couple of weeks. I'm TOTALLY stumped on what to get him for a graduation gift, because I want it to be meaningful and nice...... I've talked to several lawyers I know (DH included) but I haven't heard of anything that has the "wow" factor I'm looking for, as well as something that he will always remember I got him for his graduation. Please give me ideas!!

anonomom
04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
There are some great books out there that are inspirational/instructional for lawyers. You could give him a few of them, with nice inscriptions.

This one is a writing guide -- I got it when I took a CLE with the author, and I think it's a great resource:

http://www.amazon.com/Point-Made-Write-Nations-Advocates/dp/0195394879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335143714&sr=8-1

This one is more inspirational, especially if he plans to be a litigator:

http://www.amazon.com/Ladies-And-Gentlemen-The-Jury/dp/0684859483/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335143767&sr=8-1

Same idea, more recent trials:

http://www.amazon.com/In-Interest-Justice-Opening-Arguments/dp/0060509678/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Anyway, you get the idea.

kellij
04-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Well, my aunt said she was going to give me a leather portfolio with my name embossed on it. She never did follow through, but I would have liked it!

You could get him a nice briefcase, or a really nice tie.

Jai
04-22-2012, 09:34 PM
I think a nice wrist watch or pocket watch with his initials engraved would be nice.

twowhat?
04-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Budget? A nice briefcase?

MommyofAmaya
04-22-2012, 10:02 PM
I got a really nice briefcase for law school graduation and it was way too big to carry and I used it.... never. I love the portfolio idea though, maybe one from Bosca?
http://www.bosca.com/85-11-leather-pad-portfolio-old-leather-2.html

waitingforgrace
04-22-2012, 10:17 PM
You could buy him the frame for his JD or once he passes the bar he'll have his license for whichever state that he'd probably like framed - although some law firms pay for that for you. Other ideas - a watch, briefcase, leather portfolio, business card holder, cuff links, a really nice bottle of champagne for when he passes the bar

Personally, my favorite gift was a weekend trip to Las Vegas given to me by my brother.

Puddy73
04-22-2012, 11:02 PM
You could buy him the frame for his JD or once he passes the bar he'll have his license for whichever state that he'd probably like framed - although some law firms pay for that for you. Other ideas - a watch, briefcase, leather portfolio, business card holder, cuff links, a really nice bottle of champagne for when he passes the bar

Personally, my favorite gift was a weekend trip to Las Vegas given to me by my brother.

Love all these ideas, too! If your budget is a little smaller, perhaps a nice hardcover or leather bound copy of Black's Law Dictionary. I still use mine sometimes, 14 years out of law school.

California
04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
What does he have planned while he waits to take the bar and get the results? If he has free time in there and you can pull it off, a day or two with you (without kids) to play tourist somewhere would be very memorable. A friend of mine was just telling me that she got this gift from a close family member. She loved it!

Binkandabee
04-23-2012, 01:56 AM
My firm got me one of these with my initials embossed and I really like it, use it almost every single day:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=326-846|Level=2-3|pageid=6017

HannaAddict
04-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Love Levenger products and would use that sort of portfolio. I did not use the Black Law Dictionary very often, and most people have them from law school, at least in my experience. I loved the really nice leather desk blotter that I received and it went from BigLaw to public interest law and my home office. I like office products though, and stationery too. What a nice sister, congratulations to your brother. Maybe for this generation, really nice embossed iPad case? Or iPad, if he doesn't have one already.

codex57
04-23-2012, 12:21 PM
For me, I wanted a watch (big boy watch, unless he's already got a super nice one). Or, a pen.

My dad bought me a watch when I graduated law school. Omega Constellation automatic (I'm skinny so the Seamasters and those types are way too big for me, but they're more "typical" of a graduation watch). I always thought it'd be funny/appropriate to give an ESQ watch as a graduation present to a law student.

A (possibly) cheaper gift is a Mont Blanc pen. You often sign a lot as a lawyer. Especially if he's doing stuff like business deals and or settlement agreements and stuff. I have a MB fountain pen that I whip out when trying to impress.

MommyofAmaya
04-23-2012, 12:26 PM
For me, I wanted a watch (big boy watch, unless he's already got a super nice one). Or, a pen.

This is exactly what my DH would want too... I know this for a fact b/c it is what he gave me. A MB pen and a Tissot watch.

candaceb
04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
A Tumi laptop bag/briefcase, or a good quality rollaboard suitcase so he looks put-together when he has to travel for work.

BabyH
04-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Thank you all SO MUCH for these ideas!!! I have checked all of them out and I'm very appreciative of the suggestions. Keep 'em coming! (I'm also undecided about budget, because I don't know exactly what I'm getting him yet)

Kindra178
04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
A nice small piece of luggage and dob kit would be a great gift for a new lawyer. Many lawyers travel a ton, and a great piece of luggage will last years. Definitely something that could fit in the overhead storage of an airplane.

A Tumi messenger bag with ability to hold a laptop is another great idea. Very few lawyers have a briefcase anymore.

The pen thing is a great idea in theory, but I don't think has a ton of application in the real world. I love the idea of a watch too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

secchick
04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Does he already have a job lined up? If so, I think a lot of the ideas are great. Personally, I never used a briefcase once, and would never have used a leather folio, as I usually grabbed the legal pad in closest reach or from the supply closet on the way to the partner's office for a call or meeting. I think I would have most appreciated law degree framing, of the things already mentioned, but I would wait until he gets his law license and do them as a set. Other than that, my sister and I still reminisce about my post bar exam trip to Vegas, and what a great time we had.

ETA: I think I would be less appreciative of some of these items if I had no employment or prospects in the current legal employment market. I can see how a recent grad could be like "Huh? What am I going to do with a briefcase now??" kind of thing and just being further discouraged.

codex57
04-23-2012, 02:19 PM
The pen thing is a great idea in theory, but I don't think has a ton of application in the real world. I love the idea of a watch too.

Honestly, I haven't used the pen in years. Right now, it's a piece of decoration. Like a fancy diploma frame or a fancy name sign. Part of the "look".

Which is why I listed the watch first cuz it's a lot more practical and sees a lot more daily use.

Still, I loooovvveee my pen. It's my "lawyerly indulgence" so to speak.

I'm not huge on luggage cuz while I do travel, I worry about fancy luggage getting stolen, damaged, etc. Plus, it can be highly personal as to what "features" a person wants for their travel luggage. I like the Tumi brand, but I never use the Tumi stuff we have for travel. Honestly, in this day and age, it's not practical enough. I either use Delsey (which I happen to like for its unique combo of features; others like Travelpro; others like Samsonite; etc) or some cheapy messenger bag depending on what's going on.

And I don't think I've seen a lawyer under 60 use a briefcase. A rolling case for holding a ton of files when going to court, but that's very specific. Never seen anyone young use a briefcase. Big firm, gov't, small private practice, etc. Messenger bags seem to have taken over the role of a briefcase (Tumi makes one, but I don't find it very practical; particularly since there are TONS of alternatives).

If the budget allows for it, I like the idea of a post bar trip. That memory will be a lot more positive than some physical object, especially one that reminds him of work.

boolady
04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I'd also consider, if you know, what type of law he intends to practice. There are certain things that may be more or less helpful, depending. For example, no one in my office travels out of the state, so luggage, while a nice idea, really wouldn't be relevant. I'm a fan of the practical, so would go with a rolling court bag or messenger bag-- they'd get use no matter what.