PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a 12" bike?

boilermakermom
04-22-2012, 11:22 PM
DD Received a 12" bike for her birthday last year (the bike is from TRU). It fits her perfectly, and she is excited to ride it. However, there is a problem with the pedal crank. The pedals don't spin as they go around. DH looked at it, and doesn't think we can fix it.

So in short, we need to get DD a new bike. I don't have the receipt, and can't ask for it.

DH wants to take her to the local Trek store and let her pick one out. He understands the price will be $150 or higher, but thinks it will be worth it for her to start out on a good bike, good experience, etc. I disagree. I love riding bikes, and know I didn't have a $150 bike to start out on.

How long will kids typically ride a 12" bike? Where is a good place to purchase them? Target is the only other place I can think of, and our local target doesn't carry anything that small.

smiles33
04-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Have you tried your local Craigslist? I bought DD1's Trek Mystic for $75 off mine. It's a great bike and at a cheaper price than at a bike shop and better quality than Target/TRU.

MommyAllison
04-22-2012, 11:52 PM
I just bought a 12" Trek Mystic off Craigslist for $15, even though DD2 is only 5 months - couldn't pass up that kind of a deal! I'd watch CL.

Tinochka
04-22-2012, 11:55 PM
I bought used Specialized bike through CL last year. I am very happy with my purchase. My kid did not want to pedal on Kettler trike, but hopped on Specialized one on and went off! I’d rather prefer to have a high quality used bike, then brand new bulky Target bike.... I am hoping that it’ll serve my 2nd child also;).

stefani
04-22-2012, 11:56 PM
How big is your DD? My DS rode a 12" bike for 3 months only, but I purposely did that to make sure he could handle the bike (that was his first two-wheeler at the age of 6).

I got DS the 12" bike from Craigslist, it is Huffy brand (not great, but not bad either). Specialized has 12" Hotrock, so if you can get that from Craigslist that will be a good one to get. I think Specialized Hotrock is lighter than Trek Jet.

Other places to check: Academy, and of course TRU.

Good luck!

ellies mom
04-23-2012, 12:40 AM
The problem with inexpensive 12" bikes is that they tend to be as heavy as the bigger bikes which sometimes defeats the purpose of buying the smaller bike. I would definitely stalk CL and sales to get a nicer bike. We got DD2's on sale for $100. We figured she'd only ride it one season but it seems like she will be able to ride it for at least part of this season and then we have DD1's old 14" waiting for her.

kozachka
04-23-2012, 03:40 AM
Another vote for buying a higher end used bike from CL. We've purchased a Trek and a Specialized bike for $50 or less through CL, and these were larger bikes, which are a bit more expensive/harder to find. It took longer but besides the obvious advantage of paying less, it has also been a valuable lesson for DS and I didn't feel nervous about him dinging it.

WatchingThemGrow
04-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Yup, it was harder to find a boy's Specialized Hotrock on CL than a girl one, but if she's ready for a real pedal bike, that's what we had success with.

Has she already mastered the balance bike? If not, THAT is what I would send your DH to get, esp. if she is your first. She can learn to ride on that, then move up to a pedal bike. My DD moved up to a 16" Hotrock with the seat post cut down just a touch on her 4th bday. DS1 used a 12" Hotrock from 39mo until 4yo or maybe a little younger. The balance bike was a huge help in them learning to ride well!

abh5e8
04-23-2012, 05:55 AM
yup...for for the balance bike! dd still loves her's at 5, although she is pretty tiny and just starting to learn on an old mongoose 12" i found at goodwill. now i'm on the hunt for a boys 12", as ds (3.5) is right there with her. he has a balance bike too, but i'd love to move them up at the same time. i just hate to spend $200....and our craigslist is pretty scant. i'll keep looking...any good brands, other then specialized and trek?

wendmatt
04-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Not s ure about that size but Academy Sports has a good selection of kids bikes, we got DD one from there, I think it was $80 for a 20". I don't think you need a super expensive bike, a 12" prob won't last too long.

boilermakermom
04-23-2012, 10:43 AM
She is currently riding her tricycle since she refuses our current 12" bike. What is a balance bike? I thought the ext step would be a 12" with training wheels. No?

katydid1971
04-23-2012, 11:45 AM
A balance bike is how Europeans teach their kids to ride. May kids who use them are able to skip the training wheels.
Here are two popular models:
http://www.amazon.com/Diggin-Active-Skuut-Wooden-Balance/dp/B00264GIFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335195847&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Strider-PREbike-Balance-Running-Bike/dp/B0018N77TK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335195882&sr=8-1