PDA

View Full Version : Poll: If you have trouble with night driving, does a taller car help?

MoJo
04-23-2012, 07:17 AM
I hate driving at night, because the on-coming headlights make it impossible for me to see the road in front of me. And most of my night driving is on two-lane highways. A friend suggested that a vehicle that sits higher would help a lot with this problem.

I'm currently driving a Civic and have never had anything bigger than a Sonata. If I take my DH out for test drives, we'll come home with a new car, which I'm NOT ready for. But both of our cars have over 150K miles on them, and after next month both will be paid for. So I'm "presearching" so I know what I'm looking for when the time comes.

I've accepted that night driving is going to be an inescapable part of my life. Now I need to find out if there's something such as a taller vehicle that would make it safer for me.

So, if you have this issue, or know someone who does. . . do you agree with my friend? Would a taller vehicle help me see over the headlights? If so, that would be my first criteria when looking at options.

Thank you in advance for your help!

SnuggleBuggles
04-23-2012, 07:29 AM
I don't think it will help. As I have gotten older, I have gotten less comfortable with night driving. In that same time I went from driving a Civic regularly to a Mazda5. No better. If anything, I always felt sturdier and mOre secure in the sedan. Im not sure what my night driving issues are though; it's the whole thing.

KrisM
04-23-2012, 07:43 AM
I don't like it for the same reasons as you and find no difference between our Malibu and our Odyssey.

ang79
04-23-2012, 07:47 AM
I hate night driving as well and if DH is with me, he drives when its dark. Its the bright lights from oncoming traffic that bother me too (and if its raining and dark, that's a double whammy!). Do you wear contacts? I normally wear contacts through the day but have found when driving at night, I do better with my glasses on, not sure why, but the glare from the lights is not as bad with the glasses. I think its an age thing as well, I went from driving a Ford Taurus Sedan and drove quite a bit at night for a previous job before I had DD1. Now, 5 years later, I drive a Ford Taurus X crossover which is higher up, and I have a worse time.

marit
04-23-2012, 07:47 AM
What might help is glasses. I've discovered that since I have only cylinder it affects me mostly at night. I see just fine during the day. I was very surprised, I had no idea it works this way, until I spoke to an optometrist. I got a pair (at Costco) and keep it in the car for just night driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellyes
04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
A trick to help with that is to put your focus lightly on the left edge of the road in front of you. In other words, instead of looking straight ahead, look a bit towards the passenger side and down. (not a lot!) Especially useful if the shoulder has a painted line. This puts the lights in your peripheral vision instead of front and center.

MelissaTC
04-23-2012, 07:56 AM
I find it easier in my crossover than DH's Elantra.

MoJo
04-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I hate night driving as well and if DH is with me, he drives when its dark. Its the bright lights from oncoming traffic that bother me too (and if its raining and dark, that's a double whammy!). Do you wear contacts? I normally wear contacts through the day but have found when driving at night, I do better with my glasses on, not sure why, but the glare from the lights is not as bad with the glasses.

I'm the OP, and this is my situation exactly. Unfortunately, my DH usually can't be with me, and our girls usually ARE with me. I've worn contacts for over 20 years, but these days the glasses are working better for driving and for the computer at work.

I was just curious if another car would help as one of my friends suggested. She said her minivan helped her night vision issues immensely, but so far that doesn't seem to be a common experience.

egoldber
04-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I did notice when I went from driving a minivan to a sedan that I had more trouble because the angle of the lights is different. Mainly from taller vehicles (gotta love the irony). But OTOH as a PP said, glasses have helped a ton, especially if I get anti-glare coating.

lizzywednesday
04-23-2012, 08:23 AM
A trick to help with that is to put your focus lightly on the left edge of the road in front of you. In other words, instead of looking straight ahead, look a bit towards the passenger side and down. (not a lot!) Especially useful if the shoulder has a painted line. This puts the lights in your peripheral vision instead of front and center.

:yeahthat:

That's what they always taught us in driver's ed. It's what I do, especially while driving in my hometown - there are few-to-no streetlights so you're often driving in pitch black conditions!

Having said that, I've noticed that as I get older, my ability to get street signs into focus has declined while driving at night and it really has nothing to do with the glare of the headlights from oncoming cars - it's my eyes.

lhafer
04-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I don't like driving at night because I have the halo problem with lights (street lights, headlights, etc). And yes, the rain makes it way worse. I try not to drive at night anymore if I can help it.

I drive a minivan, and my husband drives a Genesis Coupe. I don't really notice a big difference. I don't have glasses for night driving because I don't have to drive at night a lot.

I would try to rent a tall SUV or minivan for a few days and test out the night driving before buying a car that you don't really want.

MoJo
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
I would try to rent a tall SUV or minivan for a few days and test out the night driving before buying a car that you don't really want.

That's a clever idea. I like it!

MoJo
04-23-2012, 08:44 AM

I do this, and at least I can keep the car on the road this way. I'm just scared there will be something, or someone, in front of the car, and I won't be able to see it or them because of the lights in my face.

hellokitty
04-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm almost 39 and I have noticed in the past five yrs, that nighttime driving is harder for me now. My glasses are up to date. A few thoughts, are your headlights angled correctly? That could be a problem. Also, some older cars, their headlight covers get cloudy with age (there is something you can use to clean it, I think), if your headlight covers look cloudy, maybe look into cleaning/replacing them and seeing if that helps. I also notice that newer cars in general have a stronger, more white light, and so when I was driving my older car 2001 ody, everyone else's lights looked brighter than mine. I got a 2009 ody last yr and now I feel like my lights are waaay brighter. So, if your car is older, it may just be that the headlights now are better, although some brands (cadillac) make, IMO blindingly UNSAFE lights for other drivers, I can pick out a cadilllac at night, b/c their lights annoy me so much. One other thought is to get your eyes checked. One of my friends has a special eye condition, I can't remember the name of it, but it actually makes night driving VERY difficult for her. She was diagnosed with this a few yrs ago and her brother has it too. I'm not sure if there is much she can do, but b/c she knows of her condition, she tries to avoid driving at night if possible.

wendibird22
04-23-2012, 08:57 AM
I voted no. I have the same problem. The glare is horrible and rain makes it worse. I drive an Ody. DH used to have a Civic, now has a Fusion. I notice no difference. Also doesn't matter if I'm wearing my contacts or my glasses. And for me, it's not age related. I've had this issue with glare ever since I started driving at age 16. Wish I knew a solution.

wellyes
04-23-2012, 09:02 AM
So, if your car is older, it may just be that the headlights now are better, although some brands (cadillac) make, IMO blindingly UNSAFE lights for other drivers, I can pick out a cadilllac at night, b/c their lights annoy me so much.

I agree, those should be illegal. They're not really making the caddie drivers safer anyway if they're blinding other drivers near them.

hellokitty
04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I agree, those should be illegal. They're not really making the caddie drivers safer anyway if they're blinding other drivers near them.

My Dh thought I was crazy for noticing this. However, it NEVER fails whenever I am blinded by another car at night (I admit that the really big trucks cause this problem too, but as far as sedans go...), it's specifically cadillacs that cause me this issue. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, b/c my DH makes me feel like I am crazy for thinking this and I actually hate cadillacs, b/c of this, not to mention they are fugly looking now anyway.

Penny's Pappa
04-23-2012, 10:43 AM

That would be the RIGHT edge here in the States. Focusing on the left edge could land you in a world of hurt!

Having a taller vehicle that places you higher up in the cab, like a big truck or SUV, might help to put you above most of the other cars' lights, but then you become that asshole with the big truck shining your lights in everyone else's face.

I do what wellyes is saying; I don't look directly at the oncoming headlights. I shift my focus to the shoulder and follow it.

MoJo
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
A few thoughts, are your headlights angled correctly? That could be a problem. Also, some older cars, their headlight covers get cloudy with age (there is something you can use to clean it, I think), if your headlight covers look cloudy, maybe look into cleaning/replacing them and seeing if that helps.

I'm not happy with the headlights on either of our current cars. . . but I never considered that it could make the oncoming headlights worse.

It's not age-related for me either. I've had the problem since I was a teen. But in my earlier years, my life was such that any night driving I did was on divided roads with no or distant oncoming headlights. Now, all my driving is
on two lane highways full of oncoming headlights. My eye doctor hasn't had any suggestions besides the anti-reflective coating.

I have to go back to work full time soon, which means I have to drive at night, especially in the winter.

MoJo
04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
That would be the RIGHT edge here in the States. Focusing on the left edge could land you in a world of hurt!

I assumed that's what she meant!

crl
04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Driving a taller vehicle does not help me. I am very, very near-sighted and it is my understanding that difficulties with night vision go along with that.

Catherine

BillK
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't have issues driving at night I know I sure as heck prefer my Ford F150 4 x 4 to my wife's Toyota Sienna when driving at night.

wellyes
04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
OOOPS. Yes, please never never listen to me on lefts & rights.

I don't have issues driving at night I know I sure as heck prefer my Ford F150 4 x 4 to my wife's Toyota Sienna when driving at night.
I believe the choice here is sedan or minivan, not minivan or gargantutruck.