PDA

View Full Version : What are you supposed to call a physician's assistant?

elektra
04-23-2012, 12:42 PM
I have seen a PA at my OB's office and then also somewhat recently at my primary care place.
I never know the proper way to refer to a PA, either directly or in conversation with a 3rd party.
Dr. Smith doesn't seem right, but Ms. Smith doesn't sound right either.

The PA at my OB always said she wanted to be referred to by just her first name.

pinkmomagain
04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
All the PAs I have come across use their first names with patients.

Cam&Clay
04-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Mine likes to be called by her first name.

candaceb
04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Mine likes to be called by her first name.

:yeahthat:
she refers to herself by her first name and I've noticed that all of the staff members call her by her first name

BDKmom
04-23-2012, 01:46 PM
I work with physician assistants, and every one I've ever known uses their first name with patients. Dr. would definitely not be the right title, as none that I know have a doctorate level degree. I think most are master's degrees. Ms. Lastname would be fine, but the ones I know are fine with first names.

Canna
04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Ms. Lastname seems like it would be perfectly appropriate unless the PA prefers first name.

cckwmh
04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
I am a PA. As a profession, we all go by our first names. Many of my patients, especially those who are older, have a really hard time calling me by my first name.

The title is also not a possessive. It is a pet peeve of mine (physician assistant, not physician's assistant.) The title is likely going to be changed in the next couple of years as too many people confuse us with medical assistants, but the abreviation will still be PA.

sntm
04-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I'd err on the side of formality, and say Ms. Lastname. If she prefers her first name, she'll correct you.

That said, about 15% of my patients call me Shannon instead of Dr. Lastname. Amusingly, there is no pattern to who does it, except it is rarely any of my immigrant patients.

TwinFoxes
04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd probably say "Ms. Whatever" until she said "call me Heyyou."

The title is also not a possessive. It is a pet peeve of mine (physician assistant, not physician's assistant.) The title is likely going to be changed in the next couple of years as too many people confuse us with medical assistants, but the abreviation will still be PA.

Interesting. Any idea what will it be changed to?

elektra
04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Sorry for the possessive mistake!
I truly want to give everyone the respect they have earned with their varying medical degrees.
I feel like there needs to be some other way to properly address a PA so that it is clear they are not a doctor, but also not a nurse or some other kind of medical assistant.
Even "PA Smith" (sounding like peeyay Smith) KWIM? I mean PA's seem very much like doctors to me, which is why I sort of want to say Dr. Smith, even though I know that isn't really right.

cckwmh
04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I'd probably say "Ms. Whatever" until she said "call me Heyyou."

Interesting. Any idea what will it be changed to?

It would be Physician Associate. Anyone who graduates from Yale, and I think a few other programs are already physician associates. The AAPA just had a ballot type question for all PAs about the name change and I think it "passed". It would be an expensive change, and part of the vote was if PAs were willing to pay an additional fee to help implement the change. not sure of the results of that part of the question.

It is funny that I have no problem having my patients call me by my first name, but many want to call me something other than my first name. I have some call me PA first name, but that is what they chose to call me. I always introduce myself as first name last night for the first time I meet a patient, then first name only on subsequent visits. I always say "call me first name" and probably 50-60% won't.

What does everyone call their NP's??

mackmama
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I have a few PA friends, and they all go by their first name with patients.

BDKmom
04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
What does everyone call their NP's??

The ones at my pediatrician and ob all use their first names.

DrSally
04-23-2012, 04:24 PM
All the PAs I have come across use their first names with patients.

THat's what I do.

Liziz
04-23-2012, 10:23 PM
All the PA's and NP's I've seen have been referred to as Ms. Lastname....but that's all been at a military hospital/clinic, and the military seems to do "Ms./Mr." for any civilian employee, so I think it has more to do with that than the PA/NP position.

But I've wondered this myself in the past so I'm glad the question was posted! I'll know now that first name is the way to go in the civilian world!

crl
04-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Even my ped introduces himself by first name (of course this is San Francisco). :hysterical: Anyway, all the PA's I have encountered have gone by first name.

Catherine