PDA

View Full Version : Is a 4.5 year old too old for a balance bike?

pomegranate
04-23-2012, 12:55 PM
DS is 4.5 and still has a tricycle. He likes to get on it, but refuses to learn how to pedal. He just uses his feet to get around. At school, he loves the tricycles too but does the same thing.

I'd like him to start to learn riding a real bike, and am wondering if I should get a balance bike or a big kid bike with training wheels. DS is on the small side, so I think the balance bikes would still fit him. I am thinking of Strider, but am open to others. DS is also not very sporty. He likes playing on playground structures and running around, but otherwise is not interested in most sports (soccer, t-ball, swimming) that his friends are into right now.

What should I do? Get him a Strider or a big kid bike? Or continue to have him try to learn to pedal on the tricycle, which he's almost outgrowing in size?

Thanks!

vonfirmath
04-23-2012, 12:56 PM
We are trying to get my son interested in pedaling a real bike, but he still rides his balance bike. I guess he'll switch when he is ready.... (he is 4.75 years old)

mom3boys
04-23-2012, 01:04 PM
I would probably skip the balance bike and go to the pedal bike if you can. My son rode his balance bike last summer (he turned 5 last September) but he was really on the edge of being to big/old for it. We offered to buy him a pedal bike for his birthday but he absolutely refused and said he just wanted his old bike, did not want to do pedals. So now here we are entering bike riding season and he is 5.5 and too big/old for his balance bike and is unable to use it. He is riding on a scooter rather than ride a bike at all, but I feel like he should be more than ready for a pedal bike but he is fighting it. So to avoid any drama of another "switch" in a year, I would consider doing pedal bike now, unless your DS is very small for his age or something.

WatchingThemGrow
04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
I would suggest either finding a Trek Float with removable pedals http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/2920831392.html
or getting a pedal bike and having the shop remove them for you until he's ready.

lines
04-23-2012, 01:21 PM
My girls are all short so it probably depends on height, but dd1 rode a balance bike when she was 5 (or just before she turned five) for 1 season (2 months, maybe) and then rode a 12" (great because her feet were flat on the ground). In our neighborhood she was a fairly early rider. Dd2 rode the balance bike for a few weeks at age 4 and then rode the 12". And now dd3 (almost 4) is riding the balance bike. I think the balance bike is still great for a 5 year old but they probably won't need it for very long. But I think balane bikes are a great, low stress, low pain way to learn to ride.

Canna
04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
My DD#2 is a very tall 4 year-old and fits great on her Wee Ride balance bike (it was also pretty inexpensive (~$40) when I bought it on amazon for DD#1). This particular style would not work well for a smaller/younger child. It's pretty tall.

http://www.amazon.com/Wee-Ride-Push-Bike-Trainer/dp/B002Y4MB0M/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1335203682&sr=1-2

pastrygirl
04-23-2012, 05:22 PM
I got a balance bike for my son when he was just under 5 (thanks, TwoBoos!). He's almost 6 now and still rides it. He prefers it over his pedal bike with training wheels. I'm really hoping it all clicks and he can ride his "real" bike this summer!

ETA: I got a Strider for my 2-year-old, and also got the longer seat thing with it, so my older son can ride it, too. I switch between them easily -- it's a quick release system.

pomegranate
04-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone! Cost isn't so much an issue, and balance bikes seem to resell well. So I think we're going to go with the Strider with the extra long seat extension. I had him fitted at www.bikesthatteach.com and they recommended a Strider (as opposed to other balance bike brands). I like the idea from a PP about getting a Trek and removing the pedals but if it's otherwise a regular bike, I'm concerned that it's too heavy. The Strider is less than 7 lbs.