PDA

View Full Version : Would you switch a 9 year old back into a HBB?

swissair81
04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
I was reading this http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/aaps-new-car-seat-guidelines-change-rear-facing-booster-rules-2466904.html today.
DD1 is 9 years old, 59 lbs, and 4'9" or 4'10". She sits in a LBB, and has for quite a while. We recently got an 8 seater Ody, and she sits in the seat that needs to fold down (our other option was in the back center between 2 carseats). She seems to be over the limits set in the guidelines, but I know those are just minimums. I know I will have better luck (with DH agreeing) with a child who is not up to that yet. Should I just leave it alone? I have successfully gotten DH to agree to DD2 being in a 5 pt harness (for the foreseeable future) and for DS and DD3 to extended RF. Should I even bring this up, knowing that I should probably fight the more important battles?

Green_Tea
04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't. My DD is 9, too, and 60 lbs. She's shorter than your DD, and is in a LBB. She is MORTIFIED to be in a booster at all, and is, quite literally, the only 3rd grader I know who still rides in a seat. I am not concerned about HB vs LB at that age, especially if she's appraaching 5 ft.

As a point of reference, **I** am 4'10", and am currently riding boosterless ;).

ETA: That yahoo article is making the rounds today - it popped up on my FB feed, too. I thought it might be new, but it's from March 2011 (not that it's outdated, just interesting that it's getting so much attention more than a year later.)

swissair81
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't. My DD is 9, too, and 60 lbs. She's shorter than your DD, and is in a LBB. She is MORTIFIED to be in a booster at all, and is, quite literally, the only 3rd grader I know who still rides in a seat. I am not concerned about HB vs LB at that age, especially if she's appraaching 5 ft.

As a point of reference, **I** am 4'10", and am currently riding boosterless ;).

ETA: That yahoo article is making the rounds today - it popped up on my FB feed, too. I thought it might be new, but it's from March 2011 (not that it's outdated, just interesting that it's getting so much attention more than a year later.)

That is interesting. Everyone is linking to it today.
I probably haven't been 4'10" since I was about DD1's age. I'm more shocked that I have 2 short kids. That doesn't run in either of our families.

Joolsplus2
04-23-2012, 02:23 PM
My son chose to ride in a highback longer, because I gave him a choice of 'middle (farthest from side impact) or booster with head protection (in a car with no curtain airbags)' and the booster was more appealing to him than the middle :confused: Oh well, he's a really independent kid.
Anyway, no, I certainly wouldn't fight that battle unless SHE WANTS to, like, for sleep support on long trips. Your van is a tank, there's not much to gain by adding the meager safety effects a highback might theoretically offer...here's a good blog on that... http://carseatblog.com/8243/to-backless-or-not-to-backless-that-is-the-question/

AnnieW625
04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
That is interesting. Everyone is linking to it today.
I probably haven't been 4'10" since I was about DD1's age. I'm more shocked that I have 2 short kids. That doesn't run in either of our families.

I don't think that 4'9" for a 9 yr. old is short at all. I was about that height and I am now 5'6" tall, not short, but not tall either. I don't think I would push her back into a high back booster if she hasn't been in one for years.

It is soo hard to say what I am going to do in 3 yrs. time, but if I am going to fight keeping her in a booster until she is 4'11" or whatever the recommendation is then I am not going to push a high back booster. With the wide range in heights in my family history and on DH's side she could be short and 4'11" to 5'2" could be her final height. On the other side she could be taller too as we also have female family members on my side of the family who are 5'8" to 6' tall.

swissair81
04-26-2012, 03:02 PM
I don't think that 4'9" for a 9 yr. old is short at all. I was about that height and I am now 5'6" tall, not short, but not tall either. I don't think I would push her back into a high back booster if she hasn't been in one for years.

It is soo hard to say what I am going to do in 3 yrs. time, but if I am going to fight keeping her in a booster until she is 4'11" or whatever the recommendation is then I am not going to push a high back booster. With the wide range in heights in my family history and on DH's side she could be short and 4'11" to 5'2" could be her final height. On the other side she could be taller too as we also have female family members on my side of the family who are 5'8" to 6' tall.

LOL. She's not one of the short ones. DD1 and DS are extremely tall, while DD2 is on the lower side of average, and you would never guess DD3 is 20 months. She was able to use my infant carseat until 19 months. None of my other kids came anywhere close to that. She's tiny (and adorably padded). I'm 5'8" and DH is 6 feet. The short genes are not so evident in my family (up until now).