PDA

View Full Version : Which MacBook Pro?

ahisma
04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I need to replace my 4 year old Macbook and am looking at Apple refurbished MacBook Pros. I ruled out the air because it seems too duplicative of my iPad and I'd like something that I can keep for 3-4 years plus I do have occasions that require an optical drive.

I basically use the laptop for word docs, email, surfing, very occasional Photoshop (CS3, hobby usage). I don't game and don't anticipate that changing. I think that any of them would work just fine for me needs, but I'm hesitant to get a 2010 model for some reason.

Here's the current lineup: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

I've used a 13" screen for years with no issue. I've tossed around the 15" but am not sure that I can justify it. Cost is definitely a factor. I'd rate cost and longevity as my top two priorities, followed by harddrive space, then screen size, I suppose.

mackmama
04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I love my 15". The larger screen makes a huge difference.

codex57
04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Ivy Bridge chips are out. End of the month, they start shipping. New MacBooks are expected to be announced shortly.

If the need isn't absolutely immediate, I'd wait a couple months.

If you wait, the current laptops will be cheaper cuz they've just been outdated. Or, read the reviews and see if the new ones are worth it. How much do you save on refurbished anyways? If you're buying a Mac, they're so expensive already that you can't be hurting so bad that you can't consider whether to spend $100 more or not.

niccig
04-23-2012, 03:49 PM
DH just got a 13". The extra price for the 15" screen didn't seem worth it. He's using it at work for email, iChat, skype, internet, as their work computers are not online for security reasons.

He looked at the 15" as it also has extra processing speed, but he's not doing anything where he needs that speed. He thought he might edit movies on it (his job), but as he hates editing on the huge monitor we have on the desktop, he admitted he would never ever edit on a laptop. His preferred set-up is 2 computer monitors and a tv screen, which is why he never works from home even though he could.

larig
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I have similar buying habits. I always buy with the intent to keep the machine 3-5 years, with that in mind, I spend my money on the things that will make the computer viable in the long-term (i.e., I look at what ports are on the machine, processor,...)

If I were buying for myself I'd get this one. Newest model. resolution isn't a huge step down from a 15" (I like my 13", but loved a 12" I used to have, so I prefer portability). Nice sized drive. It's not going to feel stale any time soon.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel i7
Originally released October 2011
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM