PDA

View Full Version : Goats?

Cuckoomamma
04-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I have a friend who is planning on raising meat goats. I'm a little surprised that this will be profitable. Do you or anyone you know in this country eat goat?

Puddy73
04-23-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't personally care for it, but it is very popular at my local butcher shop. My brother and his wife have a small farm about an hour north of Atlanta and they have great demand for their goat meat, particularly from Cuban and Middle Eastern immigrants. Since goat meat is so popular in the rest of the world, it would probably be helpful if your friend lived near a large population of recent immigrants.

Snow mom
04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't say I eat goat, but I have eaten goat. Lots of people in TX raise goats (not sure really what they do with the meat.) I know they serve goat at some of the local indian/pakistani restaurants.

AnnieW625
04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
I don't, but I do know a number of Indians so I might just have to ask them if they like it.

elephantmeg
04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
haven't eaten much of it here but I loove goat. I know I briefly dated a mexican guy in college whose family ate goat/bought goats (alive) that were meant to be sold to petting zoos.... And I know it was served at my Bro/SIL's wedding reception. We ate it a lot both in Africa and Jamaica.

wellyes
04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I voted that I know someone, but I can't honestly vouch for the tastiness, I am vegetarian. DH likes it. I've only heard of them in Indian dishes.

ang79
04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
DH's cousin in southern NJ raises goats and they sell them to local Mexican migrant workers mostly I think. I've never eaten goat meat, think I'll stick to chicken!

smiles33
04-23-2012, 04:59 PM
We had a goat stew at a Korean restaurant that DH really likes.

Trigglet
04-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Love goat! In fact I have half a pasture-reared organic goat sitting in my freezer (jointed, obviously!). I use it for a variety of things, but mostly it stands up incredibly well to strongly-spiced, long-cooked dishes (various curries, tagines etc). I am a curry-addict and there isn't a single remotely passable curry place in this town, so I've had to get good at making them myself :D

Goat is extremely popular in large parts of the rest of the world (Middle East, Indian subcontinent, the Caribbean especially Jamaica, Africa). So, I would imagine your friend will do very well with home-sick immigrant populations!

Mmmmm, I'm hungry now!

Oh, and for those who've never had it, I would describe it as a slightly gamier lamb taste.

elektra
04-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I have never tried goat! I'm sure it's been on menus of restaurants I have been to, but I have never noticed it.

KLD313
04-23-2012, 06:07 PM
No, never. I was driving through Brooklyn once and saw a truck being unloaded and it frozen half goats standing up against it. I cannot get that image out of my mind.

fivi2
04-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Not sure how to vote - I have never eaten goat, but I know of people who do.

BayGirl2
04-23-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't think yet, but will likely soon. Its one of the species included in our meat CSA. We can exclude 1 species but didn't. So eventually we will get some and I'll try it. I'm sure if cooked correctly it will be good.

ZeeBaby
04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
DH eats goat. If prepared correctly it is very tasty.

lhafer
04-23-2012, 07:35 PM
I learned on Chopped (food network) that goat meat is the most eaten meat in the world. I've never tried it myself though. I have eaten lamb/mutton.

flashy09
04-23-2012, 07:38 PM
One of the best meals I ever had was a goat curry in St Lucia. Funny, because I don't like goat cheese or milk.

maestramommy
04-23-2012, 08:24 PM
I've not eaten goat, but it's mostly because of lack of opportunity. I LOVE goat cheese. I love gamy meat.

daisymommy
04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Around here, there is a huge demand for raw goat milk and cheese. Lots of people raise goats, but it's not for the meat, it's for the dairy. And it's a big money business!

MamaMolly
04-23-2012, 10:44 PM
OP, you said 'this' country but didn't specify. ;) I know which one you mean, but I'm just sayin'...

ETA: oh, and for me, in my own 'this' country, I know lots and lots and lots of people who eat goat.

doberbrat
04-23-2012, 11:02 PM
I've eaten goat meat a few times and it was ok. I buy it when I can for the dogs.

dd eats goat milk and cheese exclusively.

gordo
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Just had goat for the first time at a Chicago restaurant, appropriately called Girl and the Goat :)

MamaSnoo
04-24-2012, 09:05 AM
I have eaten goat in restaurants. It is not bad. I have never prepared it at home.

I know lots of people who eat goat, mostly people of Indian or Pakistani descent.

BabbyO
04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
I watched a recorded episode of "Chopped" last night and goat was one of the ingredients. They said that goat is the most widely consumed meat world-wide. Not in the US, but across the globe - yes. I found this interesting.

I've never had it...but I'd try it if given the opportunity.

Kindra178
04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
How was girl and the goat? We had vday reservations but had to cancel. We are going in September (yes, first opening for a normal time and weekend night).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

nmosur
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I do. It is the only red meat that I eat - in fact it may not qualify as red meat?? Much healthier than beef but with all the benefits. It is widely popular in the Indian sub-continent.

nmosur
04-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Mutton is goat meat :-)

I learned on Chopped (food network) that goat meat is the most eaten meat in the world. I've never tried it myself though. I have eaten lamb/mutton.

nmosur
04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Where in Atlanta?? Can you pm me the address?? I would love to have a direct source for goat meat.

I don't personally care for it, but it is very popular at my local butcher shop. My brother and his wife have a small farm about an hour north of Atlanta and they have great demand for their goat meat, particularly from Cuban and Middle Eastern immigrants. Since goat meat is so popular in the rest of the world, it would probably be helpful if your friend lived near a large population of recent immigrants.

JBaxter
04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
I have eaten it but I wouldn't say its tasty. My mother raises meat goats but doesn't eat them.

JElaineB
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Mutton is goat meat :-)

In the U.S. mutton generally refers to sheep meat. Sounds like mutton is sometimes used as a term for goat meat in other parts of the world, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_meat

mom3boys
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't think I've eaten it but I know my sons have. My nanny is Trinidadian (and Hindu) and they have eaten goat when she cooks for them.

I see goat on the menu of takeout restaurants fairly frequently. Both Indian cuisine and authentic Mexican restaurants (not the Mexican most people are use to, but "real" Mexican) will offer it.

klwa
04-24-2012, 01:54 PM
I need other! I haven't tried it, but I have friends who raise them for meat & dairy purposes. And they eat them at times. However, the majority of their clients are immigrants to this country.

gordo
04-24-2012, 02:31 PM
How was girl and the goat? We had vday reservations but had to cancel. We are going in September (yes, first opening for a normal time and weekend night).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

DELICIOUS!!!! I have been twice since February and have reservations for July. I have loved everything I have tried! The scallops and the pig face being my favorite!