PDA

View Full Version : What are your birthday traditions?

theriviera
04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
DD1's birthday is tomorrow and I've been thinking about what kind of birthday traditions I would like to start. We are going to pick up balloons so she sees them in the kitchen when she wakes up. I'll make her whatever she wants for breakfast (probably pancakes) and dinner. I will get a cupcake and then we'll take her to a local yogurt place that she loves.

Do you have birthday traditions? Are they just for the kids or for the adults too?

Pennylane
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
We have traditions for our dc. We have a Happy Birthday banner that we put up over the kitchen table and we tie balloons to the chairs. I also put out their gifts and any cards or gifts they receive from relatives on the table. I make a pancake "birthday cake" also. The kids love it!

Ann

rin
04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
DD is only 2, so we're just starting, but in general we'll probably end up following the birthday traditions from my family, which are pretty straightforward.

On your birthday, you get:

*everyone wishing you happy birthday when you wake up
*general reduced responsibilities/increased privileges (so you probably don't have to scrub the bathroom even if it's your turn, you get to opt out of things like having to run annoying errands or do extra chores, you get to pick the music in the car, etc)
*dinner of your choice, planned in advance (normally home-cooked, although you can negotiate for a dinner out if you really want, probably instead of a gift or a party, though)
*homemade cake (nothing fancy, usually a sheet cake or basic layer cake, but always tastes good!)
*presents, cards, etc to be opened after dinner when you eat your cake

We usually have small family parties, sometimes a friend party too, but not always. DD is still too young for me to feel like a need to do anything more than have my parents over for cupcakes. When she's old enough to ask for a party, we'll talk!