PDA

View Full Version : Cancel baseball practice

niccig
04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
I know 60F and slight drizzle is nothing in some parts of the country, but this is SoCal and it's too cold and wet to be sitting in the bleachers watching a baseball practice!

And yes, I know I'm a wimp. I'm going to stay in the car and watch from there.

SnuggleBuggles
04-23-2012, 04:32 PM
That definitely deserves a capital W for wimp. ;) 45 and rain, I would be with you all the way. :)

niccig
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
That definitely deserves a capital W for wimp. ;) 45 and rain, I would be with you all the way. :)

In my defense, I grew up in the part of Australia that has similar climate to Tampa Bay. So 60F is COLD to me!! Which is why we can never leave this part of the country. DH says I'll divorce him over the weather, and that's probably right.

I'll be the only parent wearing a puffy down jacket to practice and DS will be running around in a t-shirt.

sariana
04-23-2012, 04:58 PM
I know 60F and slight drizzle is nothing in some parts of the country, but this is SoCal and it's too cold and wet to be sitting in the bleachers watching a baseball practice!

And yes, I know I'm a wimp. I'm going to stay in the car and watch from there.

I'm with you. This drizzle has been going on all day (so far), and it would be miserable to sit watching a practice.

Call me a wimp; this is SoCal.

Thatchermom
04-23-2012, 05:34 PM
And here I am all excited cause it's supposed to be 63 with only showers this week for soccer practice instead of the freezing, pounding rain we've had the last few weeks. Don't move to the NW!

deborah_r
04-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from now that I have lived here 10 years, but growing up in Connecticut, I remember playing a few high school softball games in the snow in April! But I have become quite wimpy living here.

niccig
04-23-2012, 06:12 PM
And here I am all excited cause it's supposed to be 63 with only showers this week for soccer practice instead of the freezing, pounding rain we've had the last few weeks. Don't move to the NW!

I would melt in the NW.

They cancelled practice - main reason is the kids will tear up the ground. But that doesn't seem a concern elsewhere.

sariana
04-23-2012, 06:49 PM
I would melt in the NW.

They cancelled practice - main reason is the kids will tear up the ground. But that doesn't seem a concern elsewhere.

Our practices and games almost always get canceled when it rains. The fields are managed by the master Homeowners Association, and they do not like to have their fields torn up.

happy2bamom
04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
When we lived in Michigan we had soccer practice in the snow, rain, wind, everything except lightening. We moved to Tennessee recently and they cancel practice and games even if there is a chance of rain. Both circumstances can be frustrating at times.

alexsmommy
04-23-2012, 09:13 PM
42 and drizzling and we still had a game last week. All of the boys on the benches were huddled under blankets that all of us midwesterners with kids in sports keep in our cars for us and the kids. DH doesn't keep them in his car and he was at the game texting me asking if I could stop by with blankets on my way home from work (nice neighbor/friend gave DS one from her car). DS kept saying "I'm so glad you called and told me to put on UnderArmor AND a long sleeve shirt under my uniform before I got picked up Mom!'
The best was the soccer game with the wind blowing viciously and it was 33/34 degrees and "snaining". The way the field was built we couldn't see from our cars and felt guilty not watching at least part of the game. So fun. My friend and I left and ordered extra hot hot chocolate from Starbucks just to keep our hands (in gloves) warm.
Even as a midwesterner, I feel you. I HATE being cold and feel for you thin blooded folks who get cold at higher temps.

niccig
04-23-2012, 10:29 PM
42 and drizzling and we still had a game last week. .

That I could not do AT ALL.

A parent on the team is upset we don't have practice, we do need it, so the coach had to send out an email saying the city closed the playing fields. He's hoping to reschedule for another day.

ArizonaGirl
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
You want to send some of that weather in my direction, it was 110 degrees F yesterday and my hubby and son went swimming, but me in my 22 week of pregnancy and already on modified bed rest, I sat on the couch, its HOT!!!