PDA

View Full Version : Therapeutic Listening

Sweetum
04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi All,

We have been considering therapeutic listening for a while for DS (recently diagnosed with HFA) and only recently has he been willing to keep the headphones on and listen to music from an ipod. Now that we have taken the first step, we are looking for advice how to find providers and also want to hear everyone's experience here. Also, is it best to do in conjunction with an OT session or in school/daycare while doing free play or quiet table time activities at home or maybe in the car on the way to school.
We feel this might be something that will help since DS has trouble paying attention to the task on hand and following instructions especially in a stimulating environment (as stimulating as a gym class with me and other kids and their parents) where he tends to run around and seems to bump into people (specifically me) and is smiling as if he were out of there.
Appreciate any input.

-B

crl
04-23-2012, 09:30 PM
No experience here, but I remembered this thread on music therapy also has some discussion of theraputic listening.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=428230

Catherine

Sweetum
04-24-2012, 10:59 AM
thanks, Catherine. This is informative.

HIU8
04-24-2012, 11:52 AM
DS did TL for a year. He did it via OT. Not during the OT sessions though. He did 30 minutes 2x/day. He could be doing anything except watching TV when he had the headphones on. When he started he would not talk to ppl (literally just bark at them to say hello). When we finished he was a completely different child. He spoke to ppl. He spoke at length with ppl. He was much more outgoing and friendly. Honestly, TL worked wonders for my child. FWIW, DS has an ADHD and SPD diagnosis.

Sweetum
04-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your response, Heather. While I understand it works differently for every kid, it's encouraging to hear it worked! How long did the results last? DS has a HFA diagnosis.

HIU8
04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
It's been 2 years and we have not needed a tune or anything so far.