PDA

View Full Version : Leave baby with sitter during big sister's party?

nfowife
04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
DD1's 7th birthday party is this weekend at our local gymnastic facility. It's from 1-2:30. That is smack during DD2's (16 month old)nap time. Unfortunately there weren't many times left when I booked it so I couldn't choose another time. Plus with this time slot I can get away with just cake and juice boxes :).
Anyhow, DH thinks we should get our regular sitter to come watch her (well, sit in the house while she naps). I'm not sure that's necessary. I'm thinking I could wake her early and then try and put her down for an early nap so she could get a good hour in before we have to go to the party. But obviously (and likely) that might not work out so well and DD2 could end up a cranky clingy mess at the party. If DD2 is there, I will probably spend most of the time following her around so she doesn't get hurt or into something she shouldn't. The party is only an hour and a half.
On one hand, I think a sitter would be nice because then DD2 wouldn't be underfoot, but it seems kind of weird to me to not have her at her own sister's party. What do you think?

BabbyO
04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Well, we'd probably celebrate a birthday at home with just family, so if my older LO had a birthday party like you are describing, I would probably leave the younger one with a sitter. It seems like it would be a win-win.

DD1 will get to enjoy her party without mom being distracted by DD2 - and her party will be about her (DD1).

DD2 will not miss her nap...and will probably be a happier baby when you get home from DD1's party.

Thats just my take.

LD92599
04-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Definitely get a sitter. We did that recently for DS1's party but his party was at a bounce place and it didn't start until 6:50. DS2 goes to sleep at 7:15. Plus I wanted DS1 to enjoy his party with his friends; I wanted to be able to bounce and play too!

waitingforgrace
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Get a sitter, it will be less stress on you and your DD1 might really appreciate having your full attention at her party

pinkmomagain
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Another vote for get a sitter!

wellyes
04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Get a sitter! Let this day be about the birthday girl, not the younger sib whose grumpy due to a disrupted nap.

hillview
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I'd get a sitter!

maylips
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Get a sitter! Let this day be about the birthday girl, not the younger sib whose grumpy due to a disrupted nap.

:yeahthat:

You will enjoy the party so much more. You can always take pictures of the girls together once the younger one is up (and happy!) from her nap. Neither of them will care that she missed the party.

nfowife
04-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting this response! I will go ahead and try for a sitter. DD's birthday is actually tomorrow- so we will have her favorite dinner and cupcakes at home with just our family. The party is more of a "friends" birthday and it's not like DD2 will have a clue what is going on or know what she's missing, so it does make sense to let her nap peacefully at home. Thanks for the insight!

crl
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I'd get a sitter. Both of ds' parties have been out of the house since his younger sister came along and we hired a sitter to stay at home with dd both times.

Catherine

pomegranate
04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I agree. Get a sitter, but I would bring the sitter to the party to help watch after DD2 and do your plan on getting in an early, short nap for DD2. I think it would be weird for DD2 to miss her sister's party.