PDA

View Full Version : It's drop off = don't get out of the car

niccig
04-24-2012, 02:53 PM
I was trying to drop DS off at school and couldn't get into the lane, why? A couple of Dads always get out of their cars to open door, hug goodbye and one even walks his DS to the gate.

Today there was also one Dad in a car at the front of the drop off lane talking to another Dad standing on the kerb for the 5 minutes I was waiting (I timed it). Meanwhile, there is a line of cars behind me all trying to drop their kids off and the bell had just rung.

I get home and vent to DH and he tells me "I always get out of the car to give DS a hug". What?! DH says it only takes 30 seconds, and then I started to add up how his 30 seconds it added on to C's Dad's 30 seconds and B's Dad's 30 seconds etc etc and before you know it it's an extra 5 minutes. So when I'm venting about all the other dads, other people are venting about DH.

I've never seen any of the moms get out of the car. The occasional get out to help, I can understand. But EVERY single time? No, if you want to get out of car and give hug, you park elsewhere and walk in.

Is this just a Dads don't understand the concept of drop-off?

deborah_r
04-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Don't get me started on drop-off lines. I have rage every morning. Why can't people just do.it.right. ???

Tondi G
04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I would mention the issue to the school and see if they can send home a flyer or email reminding parents that the DROP OFF LINE is for DROPPING OFF.... please do not exit the vehicle to help your child out of the car or give hugs etc. and have your child ready to exit the car with backpack/lunch etc ready to go.

So frustrating .... we have the same issues at our school some days!

nfowife
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
YES YES YES
I get annoyed every.single.day. If your kid can't open the door and get out on their own, PARK. The spots are just a few feet ahead of the line and there's plenty of room. STOP SLOWING ME DOWN!!!

ellies mom
04-24-2012, 04:20 PM
I hardly ever drive my daughter to school because I can't stand the whole drop-off ordeal (maybe twice this year). But I will admit that I have gotten out of the car occasionally because a certain husband randomly engages the child lock on her door. So have to get out to let her out. Extra annoying for everyone involved. And I apologize.

happy2bamom
04-24-2012, 06:16 PM
This was an issue at our old school. At the new school drop off is a BREEZE! Teachers (and the principal) stand outside to open the car doors and help the kids get out efficiently. Parents are not allowed to get out. Drop off is very quick, but it takes the teachers being outside for everyone to follow the rules.

ABO Mama
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
It really shouldn't be so hard to figure out. If your child needs help getting in/out of the car, then you can't use the drop off lane!

belovedgandp
04-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Feeling your pain. Preschool was awful this year. Evidently the second year people got a clue or I lost the really annoying ones. I don't know or care because it is much less painful now.

Now pick-up is a total nightmare.

KpbS
04-25-2012, 12:25 AM
I think the dads hugging is sweet but why can't they hug inside the car? Works for me!

niccig
04-25-2012, 12:34 AM
I asked DH about hugging in the car. He said "DS won't give me a hug in the car." Sometimes I have to wonder, as if DS did that, I would tell him "I can't get out, so give me a hug here" and DS would do it.

amldaley
04-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Hmmm...without meanin to insult the awesome Dad's on this board, I would guess that it may be a "man thing" at your school. Staking claim, peeing on territory, proving that they don't have to follow the rules like everyone else.

Twoboos
04-25-2012, 08:48 AM
A couple of weeks ago I had to drop DD2 off at school. Usually there are teachers outside to facilitate the whole drop off thing, but this day no one was there.

Some moms at the front of the line - so no one else could drop their kid and drive on - got out of the car and walked their kids INTO the school. Literally there were like a dozen or more cars in line, the school drop off location is a horrible cluster to begin with, and they were casually moseying along, chatting.

SO annoying!!

DrSally
04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Ita that if you are doing more than a simple drop off, you need to park. Certainly for a walk in!

My kids don't wear their winter jackets in their carseats in the winter, so getting unbuckled and jacket on, takes a few extra seconds. i try to pull way ahead, so that I'm not holding up the line.

kep
04-25-2012, 02:18 PM
This was an issue at our old school. At the new school drop off is a BREEZE! Teachers (and the principal) stand outside to open the car doors and help the kids get out efficiently. Parents are not allowed to get out. Drop off is very quick, but it takes the teachers being outside for everyone to follow the rules.

This is exactly how our school is. They are very strict about following the rules, not only for keeping the line moving, but also to keep the kids as safe as possible. Edited to add, we have to drop off; it's a smallish private school with no option for busing. This is probably one of the reasons they are so serious about it. Everyone drops off/picks up. They are extremely efficient.

mom2binsd
04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I would mention the issue to the school and see if they can send home a flyer or email reminding parents that the DROP OFF LINE is for DROPPING OFF.... please do not exit the vehicle to help your child out of the car or give hugs etc. and have your child ready to exit the car with backpack/lunch etc ready to go.

So frustrating .... we have the same issues at our school some days!

Trust me the offenders (especially the dad's) will never see/read the flyer!

I just say something to them!

MamaSnoo
04-28-2012, 07:13 AM

This is how DDs school does it too. And the teachers help the younger ones with opening the doors. It is way better than what you describe. They have parking for parents who want to get out and walk a child in. No reason a parent should be leaving the car in the dropoff line.