PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever cut a gown into a cocktail dress?

babybell
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
I have a few floor-length gowns that I am positive I will never wear again, but still fit (old prom dresses!). I have no occasion for a gown but lots for cocktail dresses. Has anyone ever got a gown tailored to a shorter length? Was it crazy expensive, was it worth it? One in particular has a lot of beading, so my guess that one would be more expensive.

Any thoughts appreciated!

babybell
04-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Really, no one?!

ourbabygirl
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Nope, I haven't, but I think it's a great idea! Let us know how it turns out if you do it! :)

Trigglet
04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I have thought about doing it with my wedding dress (http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/13849/Justin-Alexander-8115-Size-8.html), actually but never got around to it. I think it would be a great way to get more use out of dresses you genuinely love, but unless you really like them, I would say you'd probably have more fun selling your gowns and buying new cocktail dresses!

Let us know what you find out and decide to do!

babybell
04-25-2012, 04:22 PM
I have thought about doing it with my wedding dress (http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/13849/Justin-Alexander-8115-Size-8.html), actually but never got around to it. I think it would be a great way to get more use out of dresses you genuinely love, but unless you really like them, I would say you'd probably have more fun selling your gowns and buying new cocktail dresses!

Let us know what you find out and decide to do!

Oh my gosh, it actually never crossed my mind to sell the gowns! I should totally do that. It would be less hassle.

sntm
04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
The one with beading will be expensive. I bought a gorgeous sequined gown recently on major sale (we go to a reasonable number of charity events) and Nordstrom's quoted me $400 to hem it, $200 if I had bought it there.

Now would be a good time to sell - prom season!

KrisM
04-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Our library holds a prom dress shopping event for those who can't afford to buy them new. They take donations of dresses for it. Just a thought.

edurnemk
04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
One of my mom's younger cousins did that with her wedding gown. No idea how much it cost though, but it looked really nice.

FTMLuc
04-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I did it with a bridesmaid gown and used it for attending another wedding. The bottom did not have any beading or desings so it was rather easy to cut. Not sure how much it would cost, my aunt did it for me, but it actually looked really nice.