PDA

View Full Version : Tangled Birthday - for the boys?

Raidra
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Fiona's doing a Tangled theme for her birthday party, and while I'm having no problem coming up with girly activities, I'm having a harder time with stuff for the boys. So far, we're planning on:

Pin the (Nose or Frying Pan) on Flynn
Hide-n-Seek with Pascal (hiding a bunch of cheap toy lizards all over the yard)
Pascal Party Blowers (foam craft)
Tangled Shrink Charms (jewelry craft)

I'm sure the boys will have fun with the first three, but I'm having a hard time coming up with something comparable for the boys. I'm also planning on giving the girls long Rapunzel braid hair accessories, but obviously the boys won't want those.. I don't want to rely on the old stand-by of foam swords.

Any ideas?

lkarp
04-24-2012, 05:52 PM
How about a treasure hunt? You can make sure the tiara is in the chest with some fun boy type things (compasses, chocolate coins)

Do you have time to make a beanbag toss game? Maybe a Feed Maximus Apples beanbag toss...

Or Bobbing for apples with Maximus

Let the kids paint a mural on a blank piece of plywood

brittone2
04-24-2012, 06:09 PM
We haven't seen Tangled, but are the shrink charms like a shrinky dink craft? I've seen key chain crafts at Michaels or AC Moore...could they do something like that?

ellies mom
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
I just had a Lalaloopsy party for DD2 this last weekend. We did shrinky dink jewelry too. I didn't buy a kit. I traced and cut out a variety of things ahead of time. I used a Lalaloopsy coloring book and then found a bunch of super hero logos to trace from. Then I went to joanns and bought a bunch of chain necklaces and findings to make key chains and zipper pulls (for jackets or backpacks). The kids could color whatever they wanted and use whatever findings they wanted. The boys had an absolute blast. With Tangled you could play up the guys at the Tavern or the "bad guys" in order to "boy it up" a bit.

I love the idea of foam swords but I would probably give them to all the kids rather than just giving them to the boys because I know my girls appreciate a good sword fight. But that is my thing. Eye patches would be fun. Or the foam hand hooks. It's too bad you couldn't get a foam frying pan.

rin
04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
I don't have boys at home, but based on my nephews I think if you included some "manly" jewelry designs & ideas, boys could get super into shrinky dink jewelry, too! I'm thinking bear claws, dragons' teeth, wolf paws, little medieval-type weapons (so like a model of a dagger or a bow & arrow) etc.

Raidra
04-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys!

I really like the idea of the 'manly' Shrink stuff.. I think my boys would love some "Ruffian" stuff like keychains or zipper pulls.

I could also try to incorporate a "Feed Maximus" game.. wondering if I could possibly freehand it.. that might be pushing it. Hmm.

I'd forgotten about the painting, too.. I think I might get some butcher paper and tape it up to the fence or something and let the kids have at it.

I wonder if I could find some sort of cheap satchel.. nothing as fancy as Flynn's leather, but something.. and then personalize it? I just feel bad that the girls are getting these fancy braids while the boys might go home with cheap foam weapons..

ellies mom
04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't feel bad. The swords are cooler than the braids anyway and I say that as the mom of girls. Throw in an eye patch and a fake mustache and they will be happy as pie.

I like the idea of letting the kids paint too. Even better if there is a way to let them bring part of it home. Last year we did an Olivia party and we covered part of the garage with tarps and hung up sheets of poster board and let the kids make their own Jackson Pollack inspired paintings. They weren't dry by the time the kids went home so I sent them home with the thank you cards. Maybe you could let each kid have a section and send their section to them later.