PDA

View Full Version : Update: Which toddler bike helmet for my 2 yr old?

citymama
04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
DD2 turns 2 in a few weeks! :D Time to dust out that Strider prebike I bought from amazon.com back in December when it was marked down, and give it her for her birthday! I would like to give her a helmet as well. She has a small to average head, but I don't want something she'll outgrow in 6 months if she has a growth spurt. What would you recommend? I'm looking at these three online:

Giro:
http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Toddler-Helmet-Monster-Trucks/dp/B0047VFIZU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335309188&sr=8-2

Schwinn:
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW75915-2-Toddlers-Carnival-Helmet/dp/B0030RSBH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335309431&sr=8-1

Bell:
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Toddler-Zoomer-Helmet-Castle/dp/B004P22YY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335309501&sr=8-3

I guess I could take her to a bike store but these are much cheaper and it would just save me that extra step! I'd love something that is less likely to pinch her when I put it on, because I remember that being an issue with DD1. Thanks!

citymama
04-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Bump....anyone?

crl
04-26-2012, 12:45 AM
We went to sports basement and got a nutcase. They are pricier, but according to dh the plastic casing on those is sturdier (and thus unlikely to shatter if dd throws hers on the concrete in the midst of a tantrum) and the design means they can be used for other sports as well. He felt it was worth the extra money.

All that being said, a neighbor recently found a toddler bike helmet at Marshalls for $5.

Catherine

ellies mom
04-26-2012, 02:05 AM
We went to sports basement and got a nutcase. They are pricier, but according to dh the plastic casing on those is sturdier (and thus unlikely to shatter if dd throws hers on the concrete in the midst of a tantrum) and the design means they can be used for other sports as well. He felt it was worth the extra money.

All that being said, a neighbor recently found a toddler bike helmet at Marshalls for $5.

Catherine

My husband was obsessed with getting a Nutcase helmet for our oldest daughter (8 years). We wanted something that would work for both skateboarding and riding her bike. We thought about getting the Little Nutty (http://www.nutcasehelmets.com/collections/street/little_nutty) for our youngest (4 years) but decided to wait another year until she can fit in the next size up. So we got a Raskullz instead. But for a 2.5 year old, you would get more than a few years of use out of it. It comes with an adjustable band in the back and several sizes of foam to get a better fit so as he grows you can adjust for a better size. We've been very happy with it.

citymama
04-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Nutcase looks fabulous, but I don't think I want to spend $55 on a helmet for her to ride her Strider around the playground! Or am I missing something?

wellyes
04-26-2012, 04:08 AM
We have Giro Me2s for the kids. Fits both my 1.5 year old and my 4 year old. Our whole family wears Giros, I love the turn dial sizing.

mommytoC
04-26-2012, 07:15 AM
We have Giro Me2s for the kids. Fits both my 1.5 year old and my 4 year old. Our whole family wears Giros, I love the turn dial sizing.

:yeahthat: re: turn dial sizing...we love it! (Except that our DDs have Trek helmets ($20 at our local bike shop).)

doberbrat
04-27-2012, 05:42 PM
I'd go to a bike store if you can b/c different brands fit differently

citymama
05-07-2012, 03:17 AM
I'd go to a bike store if you can b/c different brands fit differently

You were absolutely right, but did I listen? Nope. I bought the Schwinn online for the cuteness factor (bad idea) and while it fits her, it's a pretty cheap and bulky looking helmet that may or may not be easy to size, because DD2 refuses to put it on. DD1's helmet, bought at a local bike store, is much more ordinary but really excellent quality and fits her perfectly. Gah. Too late/expensive to send it back to amazon.com (labels ripped off) but I'll console myself knowing that for now, the helmet is more about getting used to wearing one than actual safety, at least on a balance bike ridden mostly in the backyard and playground. Lesson learned!