PDA

View Full Version : Best Carrier for Hot Climate

BallerinaMommy
04-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi everyone...I am very new to baby wearing. DS2 is 8 weeks old and is not a fan of the stroller and much prefers to be in a carrier. I currently have the Baby Bjorn Air which i like, but know that I need something with better support for me and baby. I live in Florida where temps in the summer are scorching. Can anyone recommend the best carrier for warm temps? Thanks!

swissair81
04-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I was just in Florida, and I was comfortably wearing my 20 month old in a Baby Hawk Mei Tai (oh- and I'm 6 months pregnant). Baby Bjorns aren't good for your back or for baby's hips.

Multimama
04-24-2012, 09:23 PM
What kind of carrier are you looking for? A semi-structured one like the Baby Bjorn? If so, I've heard the Beco Butterfly 2 is quite good in the heat because there is a panel that separates you from baby so it keeps you both a bit cooler.

acmom
04-24-2012, 09:31 PM
I had a Beco Gemini that I loved. I had a June baby and used it during the hot, humid months. I wouldn't say it was "cool" but it was definitely bearable even on 90+ degree days and so worth it to be hands-free and have him comfortable and happy.

BallerinaMommy
04-24-2012, 09:41 PM
What is the difference between the Beco Butterfly 2 and the Gemini?

Multimama
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
What is the difference between the Beco Butterfly 2 and the Gemini?

There are a bunch of differences. One is the the Gemini doesn't have that front panel between you and baby that I mentioned. It also has more padded straps and a more padded body so I think it would be hotter for both mom and baby than the Butterfly. That said, I have both and am really enjoying the Gemini for my newborn.

(The Gemini allows facing out, if that's something you like about your Baby Bjorn, while the Butterfly does not. I don't plan to use the feature since it's not ergonomic for baby, but thought I'd mention it.)

crl
04-24-2012, 11:20 PM
I'd try a mei tai.

Catherine

amldaley
04-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Or try finding a carrier or sling made of Solarveil...there are etsy sellers who make slings and wraps with it and Connectas makes a carrier a SSC with it.

I have the Connecta but have not used it yet with 9 week old DD2 yet, but bought it based on researching the same question.

ABO Mama
04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
I believe the Connectable is made with solarweave, which is like boy's swim shorts, while solarveil is more open, like mesh.

I'd also consider a ring sling in linen.

teo
04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
We actually have problems with our Gemini on warmer days (and "warmer" where I live = 75!) Both baby and parent end up sweaty if the walk is more than 20 minutes or so, and I've learned to underdress baby if I know we'll be wearing him for an extended period. So I'm not sure I'd recommend that for a warm climate. Wraps sound like they might work since you can get lighter fabrics, though.

Mrs. Lainez
05-16-2012, 07:27 AM
i'll try my onbuhimo this summer. it has the least amount of fabric from what i can see...