PDA

View Full Version : Where to install CO alarms?

blisstwins
04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
we have the right locations, but think the handyman put them too close to the ceiling. That are about 12-16 inches below a 9 ft ceiling line. Are they useless? Ugh.

Indianamom2
04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
I may be wrong about this, but when we had our CO scare last spring, I believe that they recommended them lower to the ground. Yours seem kind of high, but I'm not sure.

Penny's Pappa
04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
CO has a density similar to that of air, so it won't rise up and collect on the ceiling, nor will it sink to the floor. Assuming you have even ventilation through the house, it would likely mix somewhat evenly with the air. So, I don't think your detectors are entirely useless up there, but it does make a bit more sense to me to have them lower -- down by where the people will be -- just in case. I installed ours about chest height.

infomama
04-25-2012, 12:28 AM
We have ours at hip level. One in the basement and one on the main floor.

megs4413
04-25-2012, 12:51 AM
according to the gas company (when I had them come out for a leak one time) anywhere from about your knees to about your chest is fine, sorta like the strike zone in baseball. :)

lalasmama
04-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Ours is currently at my chest level. It was near knee level, but then DD discovered if she pushes the test button while I'm going potty, that I'll run out of the bathroom with my pants around my ankles, quite possibly still peeing. :bag Hey, I was scared! I couldn't figure out what the noise was, and DD swore she was no where near it! So, now it's up higher, and out of DD's room, so she can't play with it.