PDA

View Full Version : First Communion Gifts?

njk07
04-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions for good communion gifts for boys other than giving cash/check? I like the necklace idea for girls from one of the threads but I don't think my nephew will appreciate that. Thanks.

belovedgandp
04-25-2012, 12:04 AM
For my own son I gave a rosary, but I think that is common for parents to give their child.

He did receive a guide to praying the rosary and another small prayer book that were nice.

My cousin joked about too many picture frames and such. But no, he got a nice cross, small medallion with holy communion on it, prayer book, rosary guide, and then cash and more cash.

I think his uncle is still sending him some nice books for the budding reader that he is. Not sure which ones. One aunt did make a nice bookmark for him.

Uno-Mom
04-25-2012, 01:31 AM
My husband still wears the cross necklace given to him at his baptism. (Well, it was a crucifix originally but Jesus fell off when dh was in college and he couldnt' find him again. Nope, not kidding.)

Anyway, that's just to say that boys can appreciate necklaces, too. It is a "manly" cross necklace.

I'm Episcopalian so I'm out of the loop on first communion - what age is that, typically? I was researching rosaries recently and found some great children's rosaries on Etsy. Not just the sparkly kind; there are many cool stereotypically "boy" ones, too.

lizzywednesday
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM
A wristwatch, assuming the child's parents have not already given him one.

I gave my cousin Will a wristwatch for his First Communion and my aunt & uncle told me that he refused to take it off for the first week! It was similar to this one, though the link is for an adults' watch:

http://www.zappos.com/timex-camper-watch-black

UnoMom - In the Catholic Church, First Communion is typically 2nd grade, so 7 or 8 years old. I think it's called the "age of understanding" - a child is old enough to grasp the concept of how sacred the celebration of the Eucharist is to Catholics and it's their 2nd step on the way to being considered an adult in the eyes of the Church.

It's one of the "initiation" Sacraments, with Baptism being the first and Confirmation being the "last" in a Catholic's path to full membership in the Church.

As such, it's also a BIG deal in a lot of families. In my family, it meant your parents gave you a wristwatch and a rosary (I still have my First Communion rosary in my jewelry box) and your relatives sent you lots of money.

njk07
04-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Great suggestions! Thank you very much!

AnnieW625
04-25-2012, 09:10 AM
My brother got a baseball mitt from a great uncle for his. It wasn't a traditional gift, but my uncle knew he'd be getting so much other religious stuff or checks that he thought he needed something else he'd actually use.

If you want traditional I would go with The New Catholic Picture Bible (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/089942435X/ref=redir_mdp_mobile). I had a copy growing up and I thought it was okay. I was surprised that it was still in print so I already picked up a copy for DD1, just haven't given it to her yet.

Jen841
04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Family -
Boys - Saint Medal necklace (men and boys wear them, Dad does it go the boys cherish it)
Girls - charm bracelet with a cross charm

Friends -
Wendal August Forge Cross Bookmark
Nice cross for their wall - I have found great ones at studios while traveling
Sarris Chocolate crosses
Living Faith subscription - Daily Devotions for kids