PDA

View Full Version : New Nook Simple Touch Glowlight

Toba
04-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Here's a review, in case you're interested:
http://m.gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/technology/gadgetbox/nook-glowlight-review-what-you-need-nothing-more-nothing-less-732784

I got a new iPad when they came out a few months ago. I meant it to be an easier way to read or surf the web while in bed, instead of lugging my laptop (17" so not so small), its various cords and my laptop tray all the way upstairs and lugging it back downstairs in the morning (I really, really hate my 2-story house). Yeah, I'm lazy. The funny and unexpected thing is that I really love my iPad for cruising around on the web and I haven't picked up my MacBook Pro since the iPad came into the house (although I really need to get on it to rearrange my music on my iPod). I downloaded both the Nook and the Kindle readers. Haven't used either of them yet, which, for me, is unheard of because I'm a certifiable bookworm.

Tiny backstory, I bought a Nook Color early last year. Loved it, then went on vacation to Texas and the thing will not hold a charge. It was only a few months old but already out of warranty. I LOVE Barnes & Noble and have held a membership there for over a decade. I then got wary of other Nooks, so for Christmas I got the new Kindle Touch (FYI, I have Amazon Prime, if that makes a difference). Was meh about it ... couldn't find a cover I loved and hated both choices for the battery lights. The Amazon one used the Kindle's power (which drained it faster) and the clip on light would die every other night or so. Meanwhile, I'm losing mucho reading time. I gave my niece my Kindle for Easter and am now regretting it because I do so many other things on my iPad that there won't be much battery life left for reading.

So .... the new Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight would be perfect for my situation. But if I get it, I'll be lugging around two devices (my iPad has 4G, plus most places I go have available wi-fi). My concern is that I'm afraid of B&N's stability. I could easily see them going under but hopefully maintaining a website. Also, there are rumors of an e-ink lighted Kindle in the future.

Would you just grab the new Nook now or hold out for the rumored new Kindle? Or just suck it up and use the iPad, even though it's less than ideal for reading books for hours at a time (biggest complaint is weight)? The only reason I bought the Nook Color was to get magazine subscriptions, which I can do with the iPad and is "light" reading so I no longer have a need for a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire.

I miss my books!!

wildfire
04-24-2012, 11:01 PM
The nice thing about the nook is that ePub is a common standard. It's used by pretty much everyone except Amazon. You can buy books from B&N, Kobo, Sony, Diesel Booksetc. You just need to load them from your computer and have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It's not as convenient as buying from your device, but it's nice that there are quite a few vendors you can buy books from.

As for should you buy it now vs. wait....What format are most of your books in? That might play into my decision a little.

I went back and forth a LOT between a Kindle and a Nook. I finally tried them out and picked the one that suited me better. After I got it I loved it so much I was sad that it took me so long to decide, I think that I would've been happy with either one. If you want one NOW, and it seems like you do, the Glowlight might be a better choice. Because you can start reading now! I don't know if B&N still has a restocking fee on their nooks. If they do, Best Buy doesn't.

daniele_ut
04-25-2012, 01:26 AM
I have a Nook Color and I love it, but I can see myself getting the Touch with Glowlight so that I can have an e-reader that I can read outside AND in bed. I'll still use the NC too, since I don't have a laptop any more and will frequently surf the internet on it when I am putting baby to bed.

kboyle
04-25-2012, 08:41 AM
i have the 1st gen eink nook and it used to hold a charge like a champ, now about 4 yrs later it's starting to not hold as long...like only 1 wk vs 3wks...so i've had good luck with my nook.

my boys have eink kindles and when my nook dies i'm thinking of getting the glowlight. i don't read on my ipad because of the backlight so i dont really have interest in the fire or nook color/tablet. i like eink, and i like using the epub format. i purchase both kindle and epub and use calibre to convert to what i need, so that's not an issue for me.

sntm
04-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I think it sounds awesome. I have the Nook with the lower panel touch screen (otherwise eInk) and my only complaint is that my battery operated clip on book light is annoying and too bright. If this thing works like it says, I'm upgrading.