PDA

View Full Version : I never want to show my face at my kids' school again:(

marylovesbennyhill
04-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Several months ago I volunteered to co chair a huge fundraiser at my kids' school. No one else offered...just me and two other people. In the beginning things were ok. Then my life fell apart. Despite working OT and back to back shifts, I lost my home. It was a hard situation and I was close to a breakdown.

This is when I should have told the PTA that I needed to step down. I did not and that is where I messed up. A rep from the PTA called and basically fired me. And lectured me. And made me feel awful in a passive aggressive way. Again, I get it.

The fundraiser ended up being a success. But I still feel so awful and weird about it ..

MoJo
04-25-2012, 08:05 AM
:grouphug:

DietCokeLover
04-25-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm sorry. What a difficult situation.

MamaMolly
04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Goodness! What ever happened to giving someone the benefit of the doubt? I'm sure they'd be ashamed of themselves if they knew what was going on. :grouphug: I'm sorry that they were nasty. Hold your head high though. You have been keeping it together in a really difficult situation. You didn't deserve that.

marylovesbennyhill
04-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Two .of the Board Members did know the situation:/

karstmama
04-25-2012, 09:27 AM
do just what you're doing - take in the lesson of when to call a halt. take a deep breath. forgive yourself & them. ok, first imagine them fighting off a horde of ducks or something, then let it go. you weren't trying to do harm, no harm was done, you were slightly distracted, you'll know better next time. :hug5:

sidmand
04-25-2012, 09:58 AM
:grouphug:

almostmom
04-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Oh my gosh, they are such jerks! So you made a mistake in not backing out, but we all know that can be a hard thing to do - stepping down from a commitment. If the fundraiser went well, who cares? And it is only those couple of people who you might want to avoid for now. No one else knows. Hold your head high, knowing we all make mistakes. And that you are doing your best and moving on. Don't let their nastiness get you too down. You have more important things to worry about.

Indianamom2
04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Goodness! What ever happened to giving someone the benefit of the doubt? I'm sure they'd be ashamed of themselves if they knew what was going on. :grouphug: I'm sorry that they were nasty. Hold your head high though. You have been keeping it together in a really difficult situation. You didn't deserve that.

:yeahthat::hug: I'm so sorry that there are such inconsiderate and ugly people out there. Are things starting to look up for you?

sunnyside
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Wow, they have issues. What kind of person does something like that? I'm sorry you were mistreated. They are in the wrong and should have been more understanding. Definitely hold your head up high. It doesn't have anything to do with you. This is their issue.

Hugs and I hope things are looking up for you.

elektra
04-25-2012, 01:02 PM
That sucks all the way around. Sorry it all went down like that.

stefani
04-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Several months ago I volunteered to co chair a huge fundraiser at my kids' school. No one else offered...just me and two other people. In the beginning things were ok. Then my life fell apart. Despite working OT and back to back shifts, I lost my home. It was a hard situation and I was close to a breakdown.

This is when I should have told the PTA that I needed to step down. I did not and that is where I messed up. A rep from the PTA called and basically fired me. And lectured me. And made me feel awful in a passive aggressive way. Again, I get it.

The fundraiser ended up being a success. But I still feel so awful and weird about it ..

:grouphug: It is OK, we all make mistakes at times... Hold your head up high, you were in a very difficult situation. Just learn the lesson and keep on going.

Momit
04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm so sorry. Hugs. Don't let them ruin your desire to be an involved parent at your kids' school.

gatorsmom
04-25-2012, 11:33 PM
:grouphug: It is OK, we all make mistakes at times... Hold your head up high, you were in a very difficult situation. Just learn the lesson and keep on going.

:yeahthat: We all make some embarrassing mistakes sometimes. It happens to the best of us.

sariana
04-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Was this someone from your unit? I seriously would consider making a complaint to your council. When our unit president asked me if I was interested in a Chair position, she made a big deal about how we were all volunteers and no one was expected to do any more than s/he felt she/he could handle.

How you were treated was just awful. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

This kind of behavior is the source of the term "PTA Mom" as a negative thing. PTA is about helping children.

AJP
04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
WTH is wrong with these people! So sorry you're dealing with these unfortunate people. I would hold my head up high. You were trying to take the lead and help and you are going through your own struggle. I'd definately complain to a higher up! Good luck to you mama! And ((hugs)).

AJP
04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
WTH is wrong with these people! So sorry you're dealing with these unfortunate people. I would hold my head up high. You were trying to take the lead and help and you are going through your own struggle. I'd definately complain to a higher up! Good luck to you mama! And ((hugs)).

marylovesbennyhill
04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm not looking for blood. I've helped in the past and it went well. This time was a bust...but now I get why wealthy SAHMs seem to dominate our PTA..

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Misread. Nm

marylovesbennyhill
04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
And before anyone has a hissy fit over the comment "wealthy SAHM" I just think that women who do not have financial struggles or the added stress of a job might fare better with the demands of our particular PTA

mytwosons
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm so sorry you were treated so poorly. You've been through a lot and certainly didn't need PTA heaping on. :grouphug:

chlobo
04-28-2012, 10:14 PM
It's things like this that make me never want to volunteer at my kids school. I've spoken to people who have told me other moms have made them cry because of something they did or did not do for xyz fundraiser. You are all VOLUNTEERS and should be treated kindly. And in your case, you were going through a personal crisis. Shame on them for making you feel bad.

As for the wealthy SAHM. I am in a very affluent community so there are a lot of SAHMs. Those SAHMs are the ones that ended up crying as a result of obnoxious behavior by other PTA members. I don't think it has anything to do with working vs. SAHM. No one should ever be treated that way.