PDA

View Full Version : Prenatal massage

ExcitedMamma
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I have a massage this weekend and I'm wondering about positioning. The books say after 20 wks not to lay on your back but the massage therapist said I could if it was comfortable because it wouldn't be very long. The idea of laying on my side doesn't sound comfortable and sounds awkward for modesty coverings but I'm not sure if it's safe to lay on my back and stomach as is usual. What do you think?

waitingforgrace
04-25-2012, 10:55 AM
When I had one I was 38 weeks so I was propped on my side but rolled forward a little hugging a body pillow. I think you would be fine on your back if that's comfortable for you. Modesty wasn't an issue for me on my side since I wear running shorts and a bra for massages anyway but they were able to drape me just fine on my side. Enjoy the massage!

BDKmom
04-25-2012, 12:45 PM
The spa where I go uses pillows to prop me on my side. I have one that curves around for my head and upper torso, then one between my knees, and she has me shift my weight slightly forward at the hips. Very comfortable and I don't find how she covers me to be much different than when I'm not pregnant and on my back. Basically everything is under the blanket, and she just folds back whatever section she is working on and tucks it to cover what needs to be covered. I think my first massage was at 28 weeks, and I definitely would not have been comfortable on my back or stomach at that point, especially for the length of a massage, plus the whole point is to relax, and I probably would have been worried the whole time if I was ok to be laying like that.

Liziz
04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
I laid on my stomach until my belly was too big w/ no problems. I was definitely sleeping hours at a time on my stomach at 20 weeks.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about lying on your back either, unless you're getting a full-day massage or something like that. I actually discussed lying on my back with my OB, and she had no problems with me sleeping on my back in the second and third trimester if I was most comfortable that way....basically she said the "avoid the back" thing has received way more hype than research, and a few hours at a time here and there aren't an issue at all. So personally, I'd go for the massage and lay on my back w/o worries if it was the most comfortable. (And if you're concerned, just tell the therapist that every 20 minutes or so, you'd like to roll over to your side for a couple minutes).

mikala
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I've always been at an angle for prenatal massages but at 20 weeks wouldn't have worried much about laying on my back for a few minutes as long as I changed positions occasionally. My biggest issue has been that baby tends to go wild when I'm on my back for even a minute or two and while amusing baby kung fu isn't especially relaxing.

At my prenatal yoga class we often do poses on our backs with blankets rolled up special ways to keep us a little elevated.

I'm guessing any experienced prenatal masseuse will have other position suggestions that will help you feel comfortable. A pillow under your lower back or hips can make a world of difference.

Hope you have an awesome experience at your massage!

sntm
04-25-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm uncomfortable lying on my back for more than a few minutes, but with one of my prenatal massages where I needed some neck work done, I did that with a very small wedge (about 1 inch thick) under my right hip to relieve some of the pressure. That was around 28ish weeks.

The side lying works with someone experienced, but make sure you get adequate head support and have them put a folded towel under your downside upper ribs so your shoulder doesn't get compressed. Throw your top leg and arm over a body pillow.