PDA

View Full Version : Prep for DS' First Away Camp - Trunk

ChefGirl
04-25-2012, 12:01 PM
I need to start preparing for DS' first away camp this summer. He'll be gone for two weeks. I dont' know where to start though the camp did send out a need list. I need to get him a trunk. Do you think it'll be ok if we get him a tie dye one? Is that ok for a boy? His favorite color is purple but I thought it may be too girlyish.....anyway, can't you tell I'm sort of clueless on this whole camp thing? Oh, are we supposed to decorate it for him too? Thanks.

lizzywednesday
04-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Seeing as how a trunk is a rather substantial purchase that could be used for longer than a single year/single summer's worth of sleepaway camps, I might go with something more neutral - black or navy, for example - instead but get some large stickers with his current favorite things on them.

You can always change the stickers around or cover them up as he ages out of the things he's interested in now, KWIM?

amyx4
04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
The most important thing for my kids was that the trunk fit under the bunk for more floor space. Does the camp have an open house in the spring? Could they you put you in touch with another family that has kids your kids age? I've found the best camp info comes from other parents.

HIU8
04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I would just go and get a trunk from a surplus store in a neutral color. mine was black and it had a tray at the top so it was a little big taller than most.

SnuggleBuggles
04-25-2012, 02:03 PM
A lot if kids at camp last year brought plastic storage bins instead of trunks. Just an idea.

boolady
04-25-2012, 02:08 PM
A lot if kids at camp last year brought plastic storage bins instead of trunks. Just an idea.

I know by the time my sister was a camp counselor, long after I was done my years as a camper, she had transitioned to a Rubbermaid plastic-type trunk. She thought it really helped with moisture issues. ETA: There are a few different size Rubbermaid locking bins on the REI website.