PDA

View Full Version : HELP! son digging poop out of his diaper, DAILY!

dec756
04-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I am literally going insane. My son will not stop digging poop out of his diaper and putting it on the carpet, walls, and his favorite toys. PLEASE please someone help me.

trales
04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
One piece sleepers with the zipper safety pinned closed at the top so he has no access, worn all the time.

I am so sorry for you. That is not a fun baby habit.

rin
04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
One piece sleepers with the zipper safety pinned closed at the top so he has no access, worn all the time.

I am so sorry for you. That is not a fun baby habit.

:yeahthat:

Or one-piece footless sleepers, worn under the clothes, put on backwards so he can't get at the zipper.

We also had some luck with duct tape, although we limited it mostly to naps and other times she's unsupervised. It's gotten much, much better lately, and I don't think we've had a poop fest in a few weeks (although I'm still twitchy), so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's a similarly short-lived phase for you all.

We also did a LOT of talking about how poop was dirty, poop could make you sick, etc. Plus there was a memorable time when a beloved stuffed animal got covered in poop and was unavailable for bedtime, which was fairly traumatic, and may have helped with the message that poop play was no good (?). No idea if any of that helped at all, of course!

marymoo86
04-25-2012, 03:15 PM
oh my!

is there an age that this tends to happen???

MamaMolly
04-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Yes. Just about the time you sit back and sigh with relief that they aren't going to do it.

crl
04-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Dd is dressed in onesies during the day under her clothes and sleepers with a sleep sack on backwards to prevent this very problem.

Catherine

MamaKath
04-25-2012, 04:29 PM
one-piece footless sleepers, worn under the clothes, put on backwards so he can't get at the zipper.

:yeahthat:

teedeedee
04-25-2012, 05:46 PM
If you live where it is hot, put onesies on him or one piece outfits to make it more difficult. If it's cool enough, I'd do footless one piece sleepers- backwards if he can undo the snaps!

ellies mom
04-25-2012, 07:08 PM
If the PJ's are long enough, you can twist the feet around and put them in backwards footed pajamas too. My youngest was almost three before she learned that the zipper actually went in the front.

dec756
04-25-2012, 07:20 PM
i forgot to say he is 2.5 years old

amldaley
04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Dd is dressed in onesies during the day under her clothes and sleepers with a sleep sack on backwards to prevent this very problem.

Catherine

:yeahthat: DD1 was ALWAYS in a onesie to the point that daycare banned them a few months after she turned 2 so we could PT. No poop scooping issues.

kerridean
04-25-2012, 07:47 PM
At 2.5 this is a discipline issue. The child is old enough to understand the word "no." Are you punishing the action with time outs or other consequences? If time outs are not working I would be taking away toys to the point of taking away every toy he owns until this behavior is extinguished.

Flame away but I would absolutely not tolerate this at 2.5 years old.

dec756
04-25-2012, 08:46 PM
i took away the toys hey put poop on as well as threw a few into the trash. he got time out but overall we are having major discipline issues to the point where i prob have to start another thread on parenting because nothing i am doing is working. any advice would be awesome and i would not bash the previous comment in ANY way.