PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for small toddler tote?

Pinky
04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
When we are out and about we usually keep most of DD's necessities in the car and just take a small bag in with us. We're looking for a replacement that is just big enough to carry a sippy cup, small snack, a diapees&wipees (3 diapers w/ travel wipes) and my keys/wallet. Any suggestions?

We had the "Bottles N Bottom Tote" before... it was sort of boring because DH didn't want it to be too girly when he was carrying it around. ;-) Its the perfect size, but I'm bored with it. I love that half of it is insulated.

J.L. Childress Bottles N Bottom Tote, Cocoa/Pink by J.L. Childress
Permalink: http://amzn.com/B0011EL5AI

I'm wondering if I should go with one of the little kid backpacks or if something with a little more organization would be better.
Skip Hop Zoo Pack Little Kid Backpack, Owl by Skip Hop
Permalink: http://amzn.com/B003HS5JMQ

babybell
04-25-2012, 07:59 PM
We have the owl and DD LOVES it. It's pretty small, but would hold everything on your list easily. Nothing insulated, though. But the outside bottle/sippy pocket is handy.

swrc00
04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
I second a backpack. DS has the LE preschool backpack. I looked for it online, and couldn't find it. It is a great size and would hold the things you mentioned. I would say it is probably the same size as the Skip Hop.

crl
04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Are you thinking your child will carry the backpack? Because I find it very uncomfortable to carry a child's backpack myself. They are too small to fit on both of my shoulders and feel weird on just one and awkward to carry in my hands. Even ds' backpack is awkward for me and he is in second grade and his is very nearly adult size and I am slight so you would think it would work.

I'd look for something like an Overland Donner bag to carry myself as a purse (what I did with older ds) or just carry a regular handbag big enough for a diaper and a handful or wipes in a ziplock (what I am currently doing with dd).

Catherine

larig
04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Are you thinking your child will carry the backpack? Because I find it very uncomfortable to carry a child's backpack myself. They are too small to fit on both of my shoulders and feel weird on just one and awkward to carry in my hands. Even ds' backpack is awkward for me and he is in second grade and his is very nearly adult size and I am slight so you would think it would work.

I'd look for something like an Overland Donner bag to carry myself as a purse (what I did with older ds) or just carry a regular handbag big enough for a diaper and a handful or wipes in a ziplock (what I am currently doing with dd).

Catherine

Love the donner bag.

Pinky
04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'll check out the Donner bag. I will be the one carrying the bag and I was concerned about the little backpacks being awkward to carry.

I don't generally carry a big purse and instead just stuff my few items in her bag. Definitely need something "prettier" than the boring one we've been using. :)

AnnieW625
04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
For DD1 we either had a small zippered Lands End Tote (http://www.landsend.com/pp/school-uniform-zip-top-canvas-totes~211537_1341.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::AEW&CM_MERCH=search-_-small+zippered+tote&origin=search) or the mini zippered Lands End Tote that they no longer make. DD1 lost hers awhile back. I say we might have had the mini because the small that is listed on the web page looks taller than I remember. The bag was the perfect size for a 2 yr. old. I should probably just bite the bullet and order one for DD2, but I really miss the cool colors they had back in 2007 when I bought DD1's bag; DD1's bag was fuschia.

We ended up replacing that with what is now a Lands End Small Haul backpack, which while a little long was okay for my then 2/1/2 yr. old DD1. One nice thing was that if need be I could put it on my shoulders and not feel like it was too short like CRL mentioned. Unfortunately there aren't many backpacks on Lands Ends website right now, but the pack is similar in size to the LL Bean Jr. Pack (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62855?feat=506219-GN2).

zag95
04-26-2012, 12:59 PM
DD carries similar things in her small HA preschool backpack.

If we go out places (dinner, mall, etc) I have her carry her backpack. It fits her perfectly- is lightweight, and is teaching her to be responsible for her stuff. Typically it has another pair of undies, a sticker book, a change of pants, and maybe a drink cup stashed on the side......

BayGirl2
04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
If you're looking for a small backpack that either a child or adult could wear, you could check out a Ju Ju Be MiniBe. It has straps that work for big and little people and some good features. They don't sell them anymore but they are available all the time in the JJB Pink Room or Facebook FSOT group. I got one and DS has claimed it as his, but I'll need to talk him into letting me use it once in a while. Its also machine washable, which is a bonus if your DC is dragging it around.

Pinky
04-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks everybody! I ended up ordering the Donner in dove gray... I can't wait to get it.

crl
04-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks everybody! I ended up ordering the Donner in dove gray... I can't wait to get it.

Hope it works out well for you!

Catherine