PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question…

trcy
04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
What did/do you with your 1 yr old when you need to take a shower? She has outgrown her exersaucer and it is not always possible to shower when she sleeps. TIA!!!

sunshine873
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
#1 - Glass shower doors or a clear shower curtain so you can see what's going on.
#2 - Make your bathroom one of the strongest "baby-proofed" rooms in your house
#3 - Set her on the floor with some toys and a little snack
#4 - Enjoy the few months you have left to shower by yourself, because if your DD is anything like mine, somewhere between 2 & 3, she always wanted to shower with me! Ugh, so much for a nice, hot shower!

edurnemk
04-25-2012, 08:33 PM
:yeahthat: except #4, DS fortunately never tried to get in the shower with me.

At that age, I would either sit him on the bathroom floor with some toys and I'd keep an eye on him through the glass shower doors, or shower during his nap.

mackmama
04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Not stupid at all. I usually wheel the PNP into our bathroom. We have a large shower, so I've also had DC stand in the shower with me. Often I wait to shower until DH comes home. :)

crl
04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I shower in the evening after dd has gone to bed.

Catherine

dec756
04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
highchair in the bathroom or highchair in front of tv with baby einstein, elmo etc.

wellyes
04-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Put her in her crib with a bunch of toys.

HonoluluMom
04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Single mom here, so, here's what I've done:

- When she was an infant, I would shower after she fell asleep and would bring the monitor with me
- As she got a bit older, I buckled her in her infant car seat carrier and placed the carrier on the floor in the bathroom (gave her a few toys to play with)
- now, I bath with her

candaceb
04-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Pack-n-play filled with toys in our room just outside the bathroom door while watching PBS on TV.

georgiegirl
04-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I put ds in the exersaucer until he was 18 months old. Then I started bringing him into the shower with me. Once he was 2, I left him and his sister (5 then) in front of the tv. She was old enough to get me if there was a problem.

newg
04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
I have one of these folded up in our bedroom: http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-States-Superyard-Xt-Gate/8457890

I set it up so it DD2 can look into the bathroom, and I can see her by looking in the mirror.

daisymommy
04-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Crib or pack-n-play with toys.
When they get older, like 2, I have them play in their totally baby proofed room with a doorway gate up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

♥ms.pacman♥
04-25-2012, 10:28 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat:

i have a 1yo and a 2yo now, so most others' solutions just won't work in my case...i can't really leave them alone for more than a minute or two, or they'll kill each other ..and no way on earth would i even attempt showering with both of them in there with me!!

the only solution for me is that i shower after they've gone to bed. theyr'e good sleepers at night. sometimes i shower after dinner when DH is here. the weeks DH is out of town, i shower every other day.

DualvansMommy
04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
put my 11 months old DS in his crib with toys or PnP downstairs with toys and favorite Elmo show on tv for him to watch through....

now probably have to shower before he wakes up or during his nap cuz he can almost climb both out of his crib & PnP. At this point, I'm just too nervous to leave him for long in there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

echoesofspring
04-25-2012, 11:33 PM
highchair in the bathroom

I've done this a couple times now....he eats and we play peek a boo with the curtain

gatorsmom
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Pack-n-play filled with toys in our room just outside the bathroom door while watching PBS on TV.

:yeahthat: If your baby never watches TV, then put her in a packn play in front of Sesame Street or Baby Einstein. They are great babysitters. :D

anonomom
04-25-2012, 11:47 PM
We used a Jumperoo for DD1 until she was well over a year, iirc. For DD2, I put her the pack & Play. For my son, I picked up a doorway bouncer at a yard sale, and he goes in that in the bathroom doorway. There's no privacy, but at least I know he's not trolling the house looking for contraband to stuff in his mouth.

jerseygirl07067
04-26-2012, 12:04 AM
I put toys on the bathroom floor and locked the bathroom door so the kids could not get out. I would often bring out something new or not played with in a while, to allow the kids to be intrigued, and giving me more shower time in the process. Or I just learned to take faster showers!

wellyes
04-26-2012, 04:15 AM
put my 11 months old DS in his crib with toys or PnP downstairs with toys and favorite Elmo show on tv for him to watch through....

now probably have to shower before he wakes up or during his nap cuz he can almost climb both out of his crib & PnP. At this point, I'm just too nervous to leave him for long in there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd be nervous about an 11 mo old who can climb out of a crib too! Did you lower it as far down as it will go?

Mommy_Mea
04-26-2012, 05:14 AM
At that age, we lived in an apartment where I could lock the bathroom door and DS1 couldn't unlock it, so I would load him up with toys and he would hang out in the bathroom with me while I showered. I would sing to him and play peek-a-boo.

Once he hit 2 (and I had DS2), he gets his treat of TV. He did.not.move if the TV is on, so I know he won't get into anything while I am in the shower (they are not close to each other), and he is old enough to come get me if something is wrong.

I am going to try and start showering at night, because as the weather becomes nicer, I like the time outside with just DS1 while DS2 sleeps in the morning!

trcy
04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. Our bathroom and shower are very small, so having her in there with me is not possible. The exersaucer just outside the bathroom was great, but now she is just to big for it and almost flipped herself out of it. I had been putting her in her crib with toys, but she usually throws the toys out and starts screaming and pointing at the toys. I think I will try the PNP with toys just outside the bathroom. Thanks again.

lizzywednesday
04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I had her in the bouncy seat until she outgrew that.

Then I tried the P&P with a couple toys.

Then I'd bring her into the bathroom with me & let her mess around with whatever (locked the vanity where I store cleaning supplies) but she climbed into the tub once after getting highly indignant that Mommy wasn't visible.

Of course she was fully clothed.

And I think this happened when she was around 14 or 15 months.

I stripped her and let her sit on the floor of the tub while I showered. She thinks it's the greatest game ever.

Now I plan showering with her into our get out the door plan, unless I really need to shave. I've tried, but it's just too dangerous because she wants to be in the same square inch as I am, so I risk nicking her with the razor.

Needless to say, I rarely shave anymore.

It's not so bad because now that she's used to the shower, if we go to the water park by my mom's or something, she knows what to expect.

BabbyO
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Well, I usually put DS in his crib (his room was right across the hall from the bathroom) at the last possible second with some toys. Then I'd sprint to the shower and make it quick (The other day I was enjoying a really long shower - 15 min). He'd usually toss his toys out and scream...but by that point I was more than 1/2 done with my 5 - 7 min shower.

I'm ok with the kids screaming for a few minutes. Mama can't always be holding them.

I also bring the kiddos in the shower with me fairly regularly. Our shower isn't big by any stretch of the imagination but I managed it with a 2 yo when I was 9 mo pg...so I'd just do that.

If your shower it truly too small, I think I'd opt for PNP outside the door or crib. I'm a firm believer in a few minutes crying won't kill them.

momm
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
In order of preference:

- As soon as he goes down for his nap, first 10 minutes are reserved for my hot shower.
- When DH comes home, so shower postponed to evenings.
- Before DH leaves for work.
- If none of the above, then I put on a video and leave him on the couch. This was after he was old enough and I knew he wouldn't get into trouble.

Giantbear
04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
i've been doing this since dd was 15 months, at first i put her in a high chair in the bathroom with a bottle, then when she refused the chair, i would lock her in the bathroom with some toys, now she is 23 months, i baby proofed the bedroom and keep her locked in the master with the bathroom door open so she can come and go, but she mostly stays in the bathroom when i shower giving me a play by play. This morning she dried my feet while i dried the rest of me

ljackson
04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
I had DS in his baby-proofed room with a gate on it. Sometimes he cried but I just showered quickly.

klwa
04-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat: