PDA

View Full Version : Baby Girl is here! UPDATE in OP

queenmama
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
OP here...

Just wanted to thank you again for the well wishes!

She seems to be doing well... She moves her arm constantly and grasps just as well with that side, so I'm optimistic that she doesn't have nerve damage.

Our ped said he's seen even three and four breaks in a newborn collarbone that have fused together without incident. They truly are miraculous little things!

Much love, Lara & baby Agnes

-------------------------------------

Our baby girl arrived yesterday, April 25, after a rough time.

I posted a few days ago inquiring about ruptured (slow leak, in my case) membranes, and after all of the responses to CALL, I did, and the midwife on duty assured me it was probably a normal amount of discharge.

Anyway, Tuesday afternoon marked 48 hours of the leak and I didn't want to wait another 18 hours for my scheduled check-up so I went in and had my midwife test me, and sure enough, it WAS amniotic fluid.

I checked into the hospital and fought with yet another midwife because I was adamantly against pitocin. She insisted since my water was broken for so long and I am GBS+. I know it was in Baby's best interest to speed the process, but those pit-induced contractions were a nightmare compared to the natural ones I experienced with Henry. I thought about giving up time and again because it was excruciating and exhausting, but our little girl finally arrived after about 12 hours in the hospital (twice as long and 10 times more painful than Brother's L&D). Just a smidge smaller than Henry, too, at 9lbs & 20".

The request for P&PT (after that long-winded story) is because Baby turned during labor and they had to do a bit of man-handling to help her out, and somewhere during this her right clavicle was broken. I had never heard of this happening so I'm freaked out and guilt-ridden. The break went all the way through, but they assure us it will heal on its own. I'm just tortured over the pain she's in and worried about long-term affects. :(

So if you could say a little prayer or keep her in your thoughts I would be so thankful. I feel a little strange asking, since I'm mostly just a lurker around here, but I'm fully aware of the great power of this amazing group of parents, so I knew I had to put in a request. If you need to put a face to it, here she is! 2325

As for me, I am doing exceptionally well, apart from being dog-tired. Though my "birth plan" was totally shot under the circumstances, I somehow made it without an epidural, no tearing or episiotomy. I've been up and around since she was a couple of hours old, and my only discomfort at this point, other than on her behalf, is sore nipples. We determined after two one-hour nursing sessions that she is craving the sucking to soothe herself/her pain, so the nursery RN has tentatively introduced a paci and we'll see how it goes!

Thanks so much for your support. You are a stellar bunch!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

ourbabygirl
04-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Wow, what a story! You and your little girl are very brave!
She's beautiful, and I"m so happy for you that she's here!
P & PTs coming your way! :grouphug:

Staraglimmer
04-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts for you and your beautiful baby girl! Congratulations!!!

-Stephanie
Mommy to Hailey Michelle 4/08
& a new addition due 7/1/12

brittone2
04-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Positive thoughts coming your way. The clavicle fractures usually heal pretty quickly, although that doesn't really make it feel better when it is your baby. One of my BFF's had a DD born with a clavicle fracture.

Hang in there, and we'll be thinking of you and your little one! :hug:

waitingforgrace
04-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Congratulations, she's gorgeous! I'm sorry to hear she's in pain, but I'll be thinking of all of you and hoping she heals well and quickly.

mctlaw
04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! I'm sorry she did not make it through the birth canal without injury. I am sure she is hurting and I know it is not much consolation, but I think broken clavicles in newborns usually heal without incident. I think the bigger concern in a situation like the one it sounds like you had is that baby is evaluated for brachial plexus injury to the affected side. I'm sure they've done that to the extent they can and will continue to do so if they haven't completely ruled this type of injury out. I'm speaking here from legal experience, not medical or personal experience. Hugs, mama. :hug:

TwoBees
04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
She's beautiful! P&PT for a speedy recovery for you both.

swrc00
04-26-2012, 08:37 AM
What a beautiful little girl! Poor thing! Glad to hear you are up and about. Sending lots and lots of P&PT!

BDKmom
04-26-2012, 08:45 AM
What a beautiful baby! Saying a prayer that she heals quickly and isn't in too much pain. Congratulations!

peanut520
04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Congrats!!

trcy
04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Congrats on your beautiful baby girl. My mom knew someone whos baby also had a broken clavicle and it healed quickly with no long term ill effects. Lots of P & PT headed your way.

brittone2
04-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! I'm sorry she did not make it through the birth canal without injury. I am sure she is hurting and I know it is not much consolation, but I think broken clavicles in newborns usually heal without incident. I think the bigger concern in a situation like the one it sounds like you had is that baby is evaluated for brachial plexus injury to the affected side. I'm sure they've done that to the extent they can and will continue to do so if they haven't completely ruled this type of injury out. I'm speaking here from legal experience, not medical or personal experience. Hugs, mama. :hug:
Yes, would clarify that there is no brachial plexus injury since they do sometimes go together IME.

kaharris83
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Congrats and welcome to the world beautiful girl!! My collarbone was broken during delivery and it healed up on its own with no after affect at all. Can't even tell it was ever broken.

jenfromnj
04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Congrats, she's adorable! Sending P&PT for a quick recovery for her.

crl
04-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Congratulations! Prayers for speedy healing.

Catherine

gcc2k
04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Congratulations! She's beautiful, and all that gorgeous hair!!

My BFF in college had her clavicle broken when she was delivered. Of course she had no memory of it or any lasting pain. She was a cheerleader and perfectly healthy young woman.

DietCokeLover
04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Beautiful baby girl! Prayers for speedy recoveries for both of you.

Trigglet
04-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Congratulation and welcome to the world, little one! And on the broken clavicle - my DS suffered the same injury during delivery and apart from being careful with how we held him/picked him up etc during the first couple of weeks, it didn't seem to bother him too much, and it has healed without incident. I was cross and so sad at the time (my doula seemed to suggest that my OB had deliberately broken it to get him out as he had the cord fairly tightly round his neck), but very quickly realised it was no big deal as long as there's no nerve entrapment.

All that to say, I'm sure she'll be more than fine in no time - just keep on giving her what she wants ;)

Hugs mama.

infomama
04-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Praying for you and your beautiful little miracle. Congratulations!

BabbyO
04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
She is beautiful! Congratulations and many prayers for her speedy recovery. I've also heard that the clavical break is not uncommon and usually resolves without long term complications!

MamaMolly
04-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Hugs about the injury, and P&PT that it heals without incident. She's a beauty!!

sweet_pea
04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Congratulations! Your DD is such a cutie. Sorry you had a rough time with the delivery – hope baby heals quickly!

Mommy2Abby
04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Congrats! She's adorable. Sorry delivery was rough - hoping she heals very quickly!

g-mama
04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
What a beauty! Sending prayers that she will heal quickly and for smooth sailing from here on out. Thanks for sharing!

BabyBearsMom
04-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Lots of PT for your little girl. Rest up and feel well! Our girls share the same bday :)

mom3boys
04-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Congrats on your baby girl and lots of PT! Sorry about the rough delivery :( but certainly you shouldn't feel guilty!

lcarlson90
04-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Congratulations! She is a beautiful little girl. I am sorry that the birth didn't go as you planned. I will pray that she recovers quickly. Enjoy your new little bundle.

plusbellelavie
04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Congratulations! P&PTs for your little girl! She is gorgeous!

kdeunc
Congratulations! She is beautiful. Sending you positive thoughts for a quick healing.

Ceepa
Congratulations on your sweetie. Hoping you both recover quickly.

sweetsue98
04-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Congrats!

mickminmom
04-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Welcome to your beautiful little girl! P&PTs that she heals very quickly!

larig
04-26-2012, 10:42 AM
she is just lovely! PTs for healing.

AnnieW625
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
So sorry you had to go through that. I had both penecilin and pitocin (due to water being broken too long) with DD1 and it was painful. I was in labor for 13 hrs. In the end I was just happy to have a healthy baby.

So sorry your little one, who is quite adorable has an injury already. My great uncle who was born way back in 1922 had a broken clavicle at birth. He lived quite a normal life and I know that was a long time ago and medicine is soo much more advanced than it is now so I am sure that your LO will be just fine.

elektra
04-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Congratulations! So sorry about her clavicle. I bet it heals very soon.

HonoluluMom
04-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Congratulations! Lots of PTs on a speedy and uneventful recovery!

sunshine873
04-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Congratulations, she is beautiful! I'm so sorry you're having to see her in pain. I know that is difficult. Hang in there mama, lots of prayers that she heals quickly!

anonomom
04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Congratulations, she's gorgeous! I'll be keeping your little girl in my thoughts. I hope they can help her with the pain.

KpbS
04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Congratulations! Welcome to the world little one! Prayers for a speedy recovery :hug:

Mommy_Mea
04-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Congratulations! I too had a slow leak with DS1 and therefore much pictocin and 32 hours of labor, so I feel your pain, literally.

She is beautiful! Lots of P&PT for a speedy recovery...

elephantmeg
04-26-2012, 01:55 PM
aww hugs to you all! She is beautiful. Broken clavicles are not that unusual and generally heal quickly. I hope all of you are well soon!!!!!!!!!!

Puddy73
04-26-2012, 01:59 PM
:hug: Sorry to hear that you had a rough time but the reward certainly is beautiful! My niece was born with a broken clavicle but it healed remarkably fast - babies are amazing! Sending p & pt for you and your DD.

Kira's Mommy
04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Sending many P&PTs your way. Your little girl is beautiful!

Snow mom
04-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl. I hope she feels better soon.

Tondi G
04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts for you and your beautiful baby girl! Congratulations!!! Welcome the world little one!

pinkmomagain
04-26-2012, 02:20 PM
She is a beauty! Hope she heals nicely and swiftly.

KrisM
04-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Congratulations! She's beautiful!

So sorry about her injury :(. I hope it heals quickly.

alexmommy
04-26-2012, 02:37 PM
What a beautiful baby girl. Congratulations! Love the hair. P & PT for her to heal quickly and you not to feel guilty.

sntm
04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
She's a cutie - love all the hair. Hope she heals quickly and congrats on an awesome job despite all the obstacles!

curiousgeorge
04-26-2012, 02:39 PM
She is adorable!! So sorry you had to go through that. Makes you realize how strong you really are, doesn't it?

P & PT to you and your sweet baby girl for a quick recovery.

Melaine
04-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Oh she is PRECIOUS! What a sweetie. I am so sorry about her little clavicle....praying it will heal quick! And praying for your peace of mind as I can only imagine how that must hurt you as Mama.

Moneypenny
04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Well, you certainly can't tell by looking at that cutie pie that she had a little trouble on the way out! Congratulations!

cas
04-26-2012, 03:20 PM
She's beautiful. Lots of P & PT for a quick and full recovery!

3isEnough
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
She's adorable! Congratulations :applause: P&PT coming your way.

cntrymoon2
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing your birth story. Lots of prayers for her quick healing!

Clarity
04-26-2012, 04:07 PM
She's gorgeous. P&PT thoughts to her, and you too, mama!

Myira
04-26-2012, 04:42 PM
She's beautiful. P&PT she recovers quickly. Enjoy your bundle of joy!!

citymama
04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Congrats on your lovely baby and sending p&pt to both you for quick healing! Enjoy the newborn snuggles.

mommylamb
04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Congratulations!