PDA

View Full Version : weighted vest

Sweetum
04-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I have been considering using a weighted vest for a while. But I am not sure in what exact circumstances it would be used. At this point I am thinking that I would have DS wear it during inside activities in daycare when they are painting or doing puzzles etc (about 1/2 an hour). I am wondering if it will help him stay calm and focus on the task at hand. they do outside activities after that, and am thinking of having them take it off after that and have them put it on again after nap when they do more inside activities.
also, I see a few diff kinds of vests. I wonder if anyone out here has a recommendation regarding the type and the vendor. also, is it possible to find a local vendor where I can go and see it for myself before buying it?

thanks,
-Bullkin

Gena
04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Does your son have an OT? He/She would be the best person for helping you determine things like when/how long to use the vest, how much weight, placement of weights, and what vendors' products would best fit your child.

A weighted vest can be a wonderful tool. But a poorly fitting vest or one with the wrong weight or used incorrectly can do more harm than good.

My DS craves deep pressure and we have used weighted vests for many years, both purchased and homemade vests. When I sent a weighted vest to my son's daycare, these were the instructions his OT and I provided:

[DS] may wear the weighted vest for up to 20-30 minutes at a time.
There should be at least a 20 minute break between times of wearing the vest.
[DS] may not wear the vest on the playground or during vigorous activity.
Encourage quiet activities while wearing the vest.
Make sure the weights are positioned flat against[DS]’s back.
Do not add additional weight to the vest.
The weighted vest is never to be used as a punishment.
Do not use the vest as a response to a crises situation.

Over the past year or so, DS has grown resistant to wearing the weighted vest and it no longer seems to help him the way it used to. He now prefers compression clothing, which can be worn constantly and provides the deep pressure he craves. He does use a weighted blanket to sleep and that helps him tremendously.

Sweetum
04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi Gena,

Thanks for your response. Thinking about it now, I think I will have an OT (we need to restart we have been off for sometime) assess and "prescribe" it as you suggested. But I like the recommendations given by your OT - I think they apply in general.

I'll look into compression clothing as well.

thanks,
-B