PDA

View Full Version : Would you xray for missing molars?

BayGirl2
04-26-2012, 02:05 PM
DH just took DS to the dentist, he's almost 3. He still hasn't gotten his 2 year molars in so the dentist said if they aren't in by the next appointment (Nov, he'll be 3.5) they may do x-rays. This dentist has stated that they don't regularly x-ray young children, so I'm assuming this is non-routine and there is some concern. DS also recently had his tonsils and adenoids removed because they were overgrown (never infected) although I've been told that's not related.

Would you allow x-rays on a 3.5 year old? I know there are some very strong feelings here on dental x-rays for kids. My personal perspective is to be conservative but do them when they will add value. I'm curious if others would allow them or stick with a 'wait and see' approach. Or if anyone else has had kids with very delayed molars.

Oh, and if its material: I only ever had 1 wisdom tooth and it appeared on x-rays in my 30's. My mother only had 2 wisdom teeth, this is apparently genetic. We all had normal childhood molars though.

waitingforgrace
04-26-2012, 02:26 PM
I would probably wait. DD1 is missing a few teeth the Dentist suspects will never come in. He said we wouldn't need to think about X-rays until about age 5-6. His point being there's nothing we can do about it anyway so why not wait.

I guess I would want to know if the X-rays would change the course of treatment. If so I would be more inclined to do them.

JBaxter
04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Logan was a little over 3 till his erupted and Connor almost 3. I would wait for 6 months. One day they were just there.

cono0507
04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
I guess I would want to know if the X-rays would change the course of treatment. If so I would be more inclined to do them.

:yeahthat:

My DD is now 4.5. Kids normally get their lateral incisors at age 9-13 mo. DD got all of her other teeth on schedule but for whatever reason her lateral incisors didn't come in until she was 3.5 years old. And then all of a sudden they came in normally.

http://www.ada.org/2930.aspx

I'd be asking the dentist what he/she would do with that information and whether it really is necessary to know at this point. My dentist had a wait and see approach when DD's teeth didn't come in on schedule.

BayGirl2
04-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Yes, a very valid point, and I still need to ask that question. Since I wasn't there I'm not sure how the discussion went with the dentist.

I told DH I wanted to research before going ahead with x-rays. I'm not sure what would change, although with wisdom teeth if they are likely to get impacted, that does affect treatment.

sariana
04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Good advice from PPs.

I do want to mention that I think one of the reasons x-rays are not done on such young children is that it simply is too difficult. They cannot sit still long enough and/or keep that device in the mouth properly placed. (It may not even fit in some young children's mouths.)

So I would not worry about his comment about its being non-routine. I do agree with PPs that your decision should hinge on how the information is going to be used.

trcy
04-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I guess I would want to know if the X-rays would change the course of treatment. If so I would be more inclined to do them. :yeahthat: I would not be worried about any ill effects from the dental x-rays. The amount of radiation is very small with dental x-rays.

codex57
04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm inclined to say no. Yeah, the amount of radiation is small, but it's still radiation. We're getting radiation from all over, including the sun. Adds up. Some stuff I can't minimize. This I can.

I'm not opposed to dental radiation, but only when it'll add value. More proactive value rather than simply making sure things are fine.

I'd ask what would happen if they got x-rays done. Cuz it sounds like it's just to check to see how far along things are. That's not "important" to me. I mean, who cares when the teeth come out. Especially if they're baby teeth.

AnnieW625
04-26-2012, 05:18 PM
DD1 didn't get her 2 yr. molars until she was just about 3 yrs. old so I might wait a bit. If he doesn't have them by the time he is 4 and they are already taking xrays then I would do it. DD1 got her first set of x rays at 4 yrs. old.