PDA

View Full Version : Article: Formula or Breast, Mama knows best

boogiemomz
04-26-2012, 04:02 PM
http://welcomebabycare.com/expert-advice/note-doula-formula-breast-mama/

Beautiful article by a doula who, radically, supports moms whatever their feeding choices. I truly hope this doesn't ignite any mommy wars, I just thought this concept of supporting, rather than shaming or guilt-tripping, new moms was really inspiring.

elektra
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I thought it was nice too.

mommylamb
04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
:thumbsup: As I sit here NAK I just want to say how much I agree with this. It's the antithesis of this article that a FB friend linked recently. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201204/babies-are-needy-does-bug-you At one point it calls formula feeding a starvation diet. I found that so offensive. She's someone I know from high school but do not see eye to eye with on childcare issues at all.

FTR, I'm breastfeeding about 95% of the time, but DS2 has gotten the odd formula bottle here and there and, while I try to minimize it, I feel no guilt at all.

AnnieW625
04-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Love it! It is common sense to me esp. since I am a working mother who also didn't pump at work either time (although I briefly considered it with DD2), and I think there is horrible amounts of non necessary guilt for bottle feeding infants to toddlers formula or giving a bottle all together. I mean how else are the dad or other mom suppose to bond with their babies? (At least the other mom can chose to lactate if she wants).

If there was a doula or lactation consultant in my area like this when I was breast feeding DD1 and having supply issues I would have called her up immediately when DD1 was a newborn and I couldn't pump worth a hill of beans, DD1 was underweight for a month, but still ate on demand with no issues. I supplemented with formula with her from about 3 weeks on at least once a day or every other day. I was soo turned off by the online lactivists at KellyMom.com that I just kind of did what I had to do and was happy about that. Maybe I should have done more on my part, but after being totally turned off by the Kellymom website I just did give up and didn't really research anything other than LLL locally. I personally think I could have done much better had I been able to find doulas or groups that were more open minded to a mix of bottle and breast feeding.

boogiemomz
04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
:thumbsup: As I sit here NAK I just want to say how much I agree with this. It's the antithesis of this article that a FB friend linked recently. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201204/babies-are-needy-does-bug-you At one point it calls formula feeding a starvation diet. I found that so offensive. She's someone I know from high school but do not see eye to eye with on childcare issues at all.

FTR, I'm breastfeeding about 95% of the time, but DS2 has gotten the odd formula bottle here and there and, while I try to minimize it, I feel no guilt at all.

OMG, that article... is she for real? Typed and deleted a whole tirade in response to this. It just saddens me that people put those kinds of messages out there which accomplish NOTHING beyond making people feel like dirt.

ETA: I'm reading the comments on the article... getting all riled up over here. Step away from the computer...

mommylamb
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
OMG, that article... is she for real? Typed and deleted a whole tirade in response to this. It just saddens me that people put those kinds of messages out there which accomplish NOTHING beyond making people feel like dirt.

ETA: I'm reading the comments on the article... getting all riled up over here. Step away from the computer...

That's how I feel whenever that FB friend posts something. Almost all her posts are child rearing related and they're all super judgmental like this. I've learned that it's not worth getting into it with her.

lizzywednesday
04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
That's a great article, boogiemomz, thank you for sharing!