PDA

View Full Version : For those Who have the Summers Off

swrc00
04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I am just on a posting roll today. I had the day off and I kept thinking I will have to see what the BBBers think/do.

I know daycares and sitters have various policies on keeping or pulling out kids for the summer. I am fortunate enough that my daycare lets me move DS to part-time status.

DS will go from 8-12:30 everyday and I will pay half tuition. I have other teacher friends that pull their kids out for the summer, but risk their DCs losing their spot.

What do the rest of you do?

scrooks
04-26-2012, 06:29 PM
My BIL is a teacher and they pull DN out of daycare for the summer. At first I was surprised when my sister told me it didn't jeopardize their spot but I guess it makes sense if you assume all the teachers kids are probably replaced by school aged non- teachers kids.... I guess? And she goes to a national "chain" daycare ( Goddard). I assumed it is a typical policy but maybe not?

wendibird22
04-26-2012, 06:52 PM
I have June and July off. DH has July and Aug off. So our kids don't need daycare for 3 mos a year. Our center allows us to drop down to one day a week to stay enrolled. It works great cause I usually need one day a week to get things done. They also allow us to move which day we bring the girls so if Dh or I have a work day or other appt we have that flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swrc00
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
My BIL is a teacher and they pull DN out of daycare for the summer. At first I was surprised when my sister told me it didn't jeopardize their spot but I guess it makes sense if you assume all the teachers kids are probably replaced by school aged non- teachers kids.... I guess? And she goes to a national "chain" daycare ( Goddard). I assumed it is a typical policy but maybe not?

That is interesting, because we left Goddard because they weren't flexible with my schedule. Spots are pretty competitive in my area though.

ZeeBaby
04-26-2012, 08:37 PM
We are pretty flexible here too. You can dis-enroll your child, but to be sure you have a spot you have to register for the next session.

ourbabygirl
04-26-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't teach anymore, but some of my coworkers send their kids to a home daycare woman who only takes care of kids within our school district. Her kids also attend school in our district, so she gets automatic vacations whenever our school has days off (winter & spring breaks, summer vacation, etc.). So if any teachers take on part-time jobs in the summer, I guess they'd need to find alternate childcare for their kids.

trales
04-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Ours has a summer optional plan that does not affect your spot for the fall. some of the teachers also take the summer off and they take in more school aged kids full time to replace the preschool aged kids who are taking the summer off.

DD goes 2 days a week for the first 4.5 weeks while I teach a summer class, and then one day a week for the last few while I prep for the upcoming year.