PDA

View Full Version : WORST "Watch Instantly" Netflix Finds?

amldaley
04-26-2012, 05:52 PM
While I LOVE that Netflix streaming is full of indie movies, foreign stuff, etc, DD1 has discovered some of the WORST kids progrmming. She is currently hooked on a 1 hour show from Australia called "The Fairies".

It appears to be a failed series as there is only one episode called "Meet the Fairies" but she watches it over and over.

I am very close to writing to Netflix to share my sheer disdain for this show and for Netflix for making it available.

So, what are your WORST Netflix discoveries???????????

ETA: OH MY. DH just pointed that every time Wizzy the Wizard (in his silver lame' bike shorts) sings about his "wand" he thrusts or spins his pelvis. Ewww. Now I really AM thinking about writing to Netflix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elektra
04-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Rugrats

DD saw it and now LOVES it. I am not a fan, but I have been using it as bribery on occasion.

Breaking Bad
I know this has been on the "Best" lists too, but I did not like it at all. It was just too depressing for me or too slow or I don't know what. Only made it a few episodes in and then gave up.

codex57
04-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Values are different everywhere. A lot of the world views the US as very puritanical. At least when it comes to sex. Course, there's a large chunk of the world that thinks we're oversexed monsters too. So yeah, what is "appropriate" for kids is very much up for debate.

cheri
04-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Is "The Fairies" the one that looks like a preschool acid trip? I think my DD was watching it yesterday--I totally agree with you!

My kids find the weirdest stuff on Netflix.

Kymberley
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Not for kids (obviously), but Spartacus was a huge disappointment for me. I didn't even make it through the first episode.

TwinFoxes
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
If you ask DH he'd say the original Madelines. I think they're bad, but he HATES them.

amldaley
04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Is "The Fairies" the one that looks like a preschool acid trip? I think my DD was watching it yesterday--I totally agree with you!

My kids find the weirdest stuff on Netflix.

YES. That is an excellent way to describe it!

Penny's Pappa
04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Caillou.

That show makes me want to punch puppies.

Jai
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
My husband watched "Oscar's Oasis" with my son off the Kids Netflix. Now DS wants to watch it EVERY day. I just dont get it.

AuGoldie
04-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Pingu... my son LOVES it... I can't stand it

LMPC
04-26-2012, 09:29 PM
FWIW, I am writing ALL these down and will give DH a cheat sheet as well!

Long live Shaun the Sheep!!!

amldaley
04-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Caillou.

I always knew I liked you.

I can deal with Caillou b/c there are little lessons in there....but DD went through a phase when she would watch NOTHING but Caillou and she would scream and sob if she could not watch it CONSTANTLY. That theme song invaded my dreams....and wth kind of name is Caillou anyway??? Go ahead, Google it. I did. It does not exist.

trales
04-26-2012, 09:33 PM
The Fresh Beat - DD and DH love it, I think it is really strange.

Bo on the Go- it is so bad.

I agree with breaking bad. meh.

amldaley
04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Pingu... my son LOVES it... I can't stand it

see, I like Pingu b/c it is easy to tune out!

MamaMolly
04-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Caillou.

Bwahahahahaha! So freakin' true! Caillou is such a whiner.

elbenn
04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
I always knew I liked you.

I can deal with Caillou b/c there are little lessons in there....but DD went through a phase when she would watch NOTHING but Caillou and she would scream and sob if she could not watch it CONSTANTLY. That theme song invaded my dreams....and wth kind of name is Caillou anyway??? Go ahead, Google it. I did. It does not exist.

Caillou is french for pebble.

Puddy73
04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
How do they always manage to latch onto the most annoying programming? Right now it is Fat Albert (DS), She-Ra (DD1) and Franny's Feet (DD2). Thank goodness one of the few shows that all three will watch, Arthur, doesn't bother me.

NCGrandma
04-26-2012, 10:38 PM
So do we know why Caillou is bald when everyone else has regular hair? (I always think 'chemo'). DGD2 is also a Caillou fan and when I visit, I get the "opportunity" to watch it with her.

Oh yeah, she also used to be a Pingu fan, too, as well as Miffy (whose theme song is still stuck in my head years later...).

boilermakermom
04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Caillou.

agreed!!! and of course, DD LOVES that show

elliput
04-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Holiday Favorites Vol 3: Santa's Surprise
Baby First Club
Harry the Bunny
Horseland

A few that I haven't quite made up my mind on- Pingu, My Little Pony and Skunk Fu.

It baffles me how DD finds this stuff.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
04-26-2012, 11:30 PM
I have to totally agree with Calliou!! His voice drives me crazy and that song gets stuck in my head all day. The baldness always makes me think hes got alopecia. To me there's also something abnoxious about the family "wholesomeness" of it too, i guess because they seem to put so much emphsis on a "traditional' family.

Gotta disagree on the Pingu though. Some of the shorts are better than others, but it's kinda cute when they sit there completely cracking up at the antics when there's no dialogue and they are having to figure out and understand what's going on.

Dragon tales is not a favorite of mine either....

shawnandangel
04-26-2012, 11:35 PM
I wish I could ban programs from Netflix. DD has figured out how to work the Roku and because she had watched: My Little Pony, Curious George, Calliou, Kipper, and Inspector Gadget it of course suggested for her: BRATZ!

I walked in the room and what had once been Curious George was now Bratz. I about had a coronary.

Penny's Pappa
04-27-2012, 12:03 AM

Caillou is French for "you're going to need a Scotch and three Vicodin to make this show painless."

Penny's Pappa
04-27-2012, 12:08 AM
So do we know why Caillou is bald when everyone else has regular hair? (I always think 'chemo').

According to the publisher:

Caillou stands for all children. He doesn't have curly blond hair, a carrot-top, brown hair, glasses, or ethnic features, because he represents all children. We wanted to make Caillou universal so every child could identify with him. And they do! Caillou's baldness may make him different, but we hope it's helping children understand that being different isn't just okay, it's normal.

http://www.chouette-publishing.com/about-caillou/frequently-asked-questions/why-caillou-bald

kijip
04-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Jay Jay the Jet Plane. So terrible.

goldenpig
04-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Our whole family LOVES Pingu! Especially the one where little Pinga is born!

Nook Nook! <(“)

amldaley
04-27-2012, 05:52 AM

how weird that none of the baby name sites list it! is it used as a name elsewhere?

amldaley
04-27-2012, 05:56 AM
I wish I could ban programs from Netflix. DD has figured out how to work the Roku and because she had watched: My Little Pony, Curious George, Calliou, Kipper, and Inspector Gadget it of course suggested for her: BRATZ!

I walked in the room and what had once been Curious George was now Bratz. I about had a coronary.

:yeahthat: BRATZ....and BRATZ Babies....worst shows and so annoyimg that they were recommended!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Perfect then. Annoying like a pebble stuck in your shoe.

DebbieJ
04-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Mario Brothers live action.

HORRIBLE!!!!

fivi2
04-27-2012, 11:20 AM
We LOVE pingu at our house!

Good to know about Madeline, I will remove it from our list.

sidmand
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Jay Jay the Jet Plane. So terrible.

Oh my goodness is that on Netflix? DS's therapist when he was little used Jay Jay toys and DS became OBSESSED with everything Jay Jay! It was near impossible to find the shows. It's horrible animation but the "themes" were okay for me. Now I'm going to have the them song running through my head all day!

sidmand
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM

HORRIBLE!!!!

DS found that one too. I have to stop letting him control the Roku remote!

lizzywednesday
04-27-2012, 12:40 PM

HORRIBLE!!!!

Wait, is that the one with the heavy guy in a fake mustache who dances "The Mario" to the SMB theme song:

Take one step
Then back again ...

YouTube has it, sort of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65uNCLBTje0

Right?

It used to be the bumpers for the Super Mario cartoon show in the late 80s/early 90s on FOX TV's afternoon kids' show lineup. The same lineup included Batman: The Animated Series, which I still love.