PDA

View Full Version : Philly Day-Trip with a Toddler - Good Activities?

lizzywednesday
04-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I know we've had some great suggestions about things to do in various cities with young kids, but I'm asking specifically for Philly, most likely next weekend (May 5th) and for a 2 year old.

DH and I would like to spend the day out-and-about in Philly doing some fun family/touristy things with our DD, who is 25 months.

She loved the Philly Zoo when we went for 'Boo at the Zoo' this past October, and we plan to do it again this year at some point, but not next week. We want to try to stick to the museums and/or Center City (I think) because we're trying to hit one or two places we saw on 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives' (there's this one place with a fatback-and-watermelon salad that was drool-worthy, for example)

We missed the dinosaur exhibit at the Franklin Institute that closed last month (much to my disappointment, as I am a dinosaur fanatic) but I think FI could still be fun for her ... but I have concerns about the giant heart (it terrified me as a kid)

What's available and fun for a fairly patient but very active 2 year old?

Bonus points for things where the curators won't wig out if I have her on my back in the Ergo (apparently, you're not allowed to babywear in some museums, like the Musical Instrument Museum in PHX) ... and extra thanks for heads' up at places like that. I usually wear her because she can't be trusted to stay close by.

Thanks in advance!

Philly Mom
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Have You already done the Please Touch Musuem? Other suggestions: Franklin Square and then the Constitution Center or duck boat tour or Academy of Science. I have heard people like the Mummers Musuem. I also love the Japanese Garden in Fairmont Park.

lizzywednesday
04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
No, we haven't done any of the museums and I couldn't remember if Please Touch was Philly or Cherry Hill, NJ - thanks!

Every time I try to talk to DH about it, he tries to be funny and finishes my sentences starting "I hear Philly has this really ..." with "giant heart?" and then it shuts the conversation down.

Thanks for the other suggestions; I'll talk to him about it again. The Mummers Museum might be interesting when DD is older and has more experience with Mummers. There's a troupe that visits the CHoP Center for Fetal Diagnosis & Treatment Family Reunion each year so we'll see them in June.

boolady
04-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Have You already done the Please Touch Musuem? Other suggestions: Franklin Square and then the Constitution Center or duck boat tour or Academy of Science. I have heard people like the Mummers Musuem. I also love the Japanese Garden in Fairmont Park.

These are great ideas. The Please Touch is really great...perfect for your DD's age. After that, if you want a museum, I personally think that the Academy of Natural Science is better for the younger kids than the Franklin Institute.

TwoBees
04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Definitely the Please Touch Museum! I suggest getting there early (before the museum opens) as there has been a long line both times we went (although if the weather is really beautiful, the line may be shorter).

Jacksmommy2b
05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Both of my kids adore the Franklin, so much so we have a season pass. J loved the duck tour at three, but that duck call had me going bananas half way through and like you said, the zoo is never a bad idea.

We have been to the please touch a few times and while the museum is kid heaven it is always packed and my kids get sick every.single.time we go there. I also can't stand how it always seems to be hosting camp or school groups and the kids seem to just run wild. JME, and we have only been a handful of times but it just seems that since it is more of a 'play' place (rather than a learning place like the Franklin or Natural Sciences) there is much less chaperone-ing going on. I now just make excuses when my friends or mom groups are heading over there.

Smith Playplace is another place I avoid like the plague. The playground isn't bad, but the giant slide can be a nightmare with under confident kids and (again, JME) the house is dirty, run down and just scary.

lizzywednesday
05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

TwoBees
05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Just curious, which restaurants are you going to?

lizzywednesday
05-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Just curious, which restaurants are you going to?

I think we're looking at Memphis Tap Room, Silk City Diner & Honey's Sit-n-Eat, but I'm not 100% on that.

We've had a lot of great meals at places featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives ... and a couple of so-so ones (like Guiseppes in Scottsdale, AZ) so as long as we cruise the menu beforehand, we're usually good-to-go on picking a good one.

One of my MIL's now-favorite places to eat out in AZ was featured on the show and she'd never have gone if it hadn't been for DH and I scouting it out on previous visits.

Philly Mom
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Honeys is good but can have a long wait if you do not get there early. I know people who love Silk City. I like their other restaurant. My favorite brunch place that is near both Honeys and Silk City is called Cafe Estelle. It is wonderful.