PDA

View Full Version : Need travel carseat for 6 year old!

BayAreaMom
05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi

I have always had a spare (cheapish) carseat that I use exclusively for air travel and emergency travel (with relatives) at home (like 1-3x/year). I've cycled through the Scenera, some seat I can't remember and now the Evenflo Generations 65 (in 5 point harness mode only).

However, DD1 has now outgrown the Evenflo Generations 65 in 5 point harness mode. She is 6.1 years old, about 48-49 lbs and 48" with a tallish torso. In our normal cars she is a Frontier in harness mode (where she will be for maybe 1-2 more years).

I am flying on May 31 and need to decide what to do. Taking the Frontiers on the airplane is not possible. I travel alone with DD1 and can't carry it (I use a car seat backpack to carry the seat) through the airport. I also need it installed in our main cars for quick drop-off/pick-up at the airport curb (they are not latch installed in either car, and the LBP is a huge time suck and sweat fest that I avoid at all costs).

At my destination my sister is driving us around in her car for 3 days to Disneyland and the SDZoo, then we fly home.

SO I think my options are:
A. Buy a new 5 point harness seat (not really ideal, but open to suggestions for seats under $80 that have a HIGH harness height. When I bought the Gen65 it was the highest in its price point).

B. Bring the Evenflo Generations 65 and use in Booster mode in the car at our destination. I understand I can't use it on the airplane, but I don't want to check it as luggage for fear of getting microfractures in the plastic. So I guess I would gate check it? My only concern is I think I remember reading this sucks as a booster. Mine is about 2, maybe even 2.5-3 years old and I can't find the picture anywhere. It kinda a crappy seat to be honest but has done the job for us the <10 times we've used it.

C. Order a new backed booster and have it delivered to my destination (my sisters house- it would be in her car ready to use when she picks us up). Ideas for this booster would be a Britax Parkway SGL or the Harmony Dreamtime Deluxe Comfort Booster? Open to other ideas. Really at a loss here and need help!! THANKS!

rin
05-01-2012, 09:32 PM
In your shoes (because I hate extra luggage!) I would either pick option (c), or else (if you're comfortable with your DD riding in a backless booster), pick up a Bubblebum inflatable booster.

BayAreaMom
05-02-2012, 11:27 AM
In your shoes (because I hate extra luggage!) I would either pick option (c), or else (if you're comfortable with your DD riding in a backless booster), pick up a Bubblebum inflatable booster.

I am not comfortable with a backless booster. Its just too much of a change from her Frontier.

I read a bad review of the Harmony, but obviously there is a big price difference between that and the Britax Parkway. Any input on this would be appreciated.

legaleagle
05-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I know the graco highback turbo booster is highly recommended in general.

connor_mommy
05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Would you be leaving the booster at your sister's after you're done or bringing it back with you? If you're planning on leaving it, then I'd probably go with the Graco. If you're planning on bringing it back and using it the future, then I'd go with the Parkway. We have both and DS1 likes both of them. Our Graco is actually at my parents for when we visit.

AnnieW625
05-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I know the graco highback turbo booster is highly recommended in general.

:yeahthat: DD1 uses gets full time. We check ours at the ticket counter and they place it in a bag and we have never had an issue.

If you want to spend more money and definitely want a harness check out the Safety First Go hybrid booster.

mom2binsd
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
She might be too tall for the Turbo booster though, I know it's not nearly as tall.

I'd order the Parkway and have it delivered to your destination, then you'll have a good booster available for the next few years.

AnnieW625
05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
The highback turbo can be used to 57" tall.
http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1774833