PDA

View Full Version : Any one had a Hysteroscopy done? Need Advice/Reassurance Update #11

plusbellelavie
05-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Yesterday morning, I went in for my annual exam and during the exam the doctor (first time I've been to her) says she feels something on my ovary which concern her greatly and wants me to come in for a Hysteroscopy ASAP i.e. next week. She plans to take biopsies. (20 years ago I was treated aggresively for endometriosis (3Xs) and for cyst on my ovaries....I did ask if she thought they could be due to either and she said she didn't think so but would have to wait for the results to be sure)

She did say though that since I had had a normal pap last year that it helped. She didn't end up doing a pap smear this time she was more "focused" on the ovary so that concerns me too....(basically once she felt that the visit changed from a "annual" visit to we need to take care of this ASAP).

Tomorrow I go in for an "emergency" ultrasound to check things out and to give her a "road map" so to speak.

I must say I spent most of yesterday researching so I am less "freaked" out...mostly because it gave me something else to think about then the "what ifs" KWIM? But still feel a bit in "shock" and overwhelmed...

Any one else BTDT? Any advice?

arivecchi
05-02-2012, 07:22 AM
No advice but I hope it's nothing! That sounds very stressful. Hope some posters can provide some helpful advice. :hug:

emily_gracesmama
05-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I did in January. It was not bad. I got a little crampy during it, they flushed my uterus with saline which inflates it so they can see the inside. The catheter I guess has a camera in it so you can see the inside they take pictures during it. My doc and nurses were talking shoes to me during it a very nice distraction! It's fast and I was a little woozy afterwards but that is just how I get from stuff like that. I took a few Tylenol and felt fine by the ride home 20 mins later. It was worse thinking about it than it actually was.

plusbellelavie
05-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I did in January. It was not bad. I got a little crampy during it, they flushed my uterus with saline which inflates it so they can see the inside. The catheter I guess has a camera in it so you can see the inside they take pictures during it. My doc and nurses were talking shoes to me during it a very nice distraction! It's fast and I was a little woozy afterwards but that is just how I get from stuff like that. I took a few Tylenol and felt fine by the ride home 20 mins later. It was worse thinking about it than it actually was.

Thank you Jen for your post about your experience! Sounds like you were awake and drove home so did you do a local anesthesia?....My doctor gave me a choice of local anesthesia, spinal, or general anesthesia. The doctor told me since I had given birth to 10lb baby naturally that she thinks I could have it done with local anesthesia but the scheduling person said it was painful when she had it done and she was thrilled to be under general anesthesia....I can decide the day of the procedure what I want to use as long as I don't eat or drink beforehand.

Did they take biopsies for you? Did you "feel" it when they did? I guess that is where my focus has been....Also was your doctor able to tell you "right then and there" if she saw any problems or did they make you wait for the results/findings?

And I believe you "thinking" about it and "waiting" is worse then it will probably actually be! I am trying to focus on other things but my brain keeps wandering back to it! uggh!

Thanks arivecchi for your post too!

cas
05-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I had hysteroscopy as part of a secondary infertility work up. They gave me local anesthesia which was not bad. The only really uncomfortable part was when they inflated the uterus with saline. But it was a relatively short procedure and bearable. I sat for a few minutes afterwards and then was fine to drive home and take care of my then 2 year old.

My OB didn't offer spinal or general anesthesia to me. It sounds like your hysteroscopy could be a little more involved if it involves possible biopsies. I would do what makes you feel most comfortable. Some people are afraid of general anesthesia and would rather avoid it, while others would rather be put to sleep.

I hope this turns out to be nothing. Good luck!
:hug:

MamaMolly
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
I was going to ask if you'd had a vaginal birth. I have had two scopes with IVF. The first was pre-kids and was so freaking painful I can't describe it. Bad enough that I got hysterical a year later when I was told I'd have to have a pap smear to get a medical clearance when DH changed jobs.

The second one was also IVF related. I tried to refuse the second one (many years later, different doctor) but they would not do IVF unless I had it. I described the situation to my RE and she offered me a valium (Rx for ONE!) before the procedure. It was essentially painless. Less annoying than a pap. I also had an IV sedative during the procedure. Oh, and I had to have someone in the waiting room who would drive me home.

I think four things made the second one better: Having delivered vaginally, things down there were more open. The valium took the edge off my nerves, the sedative helped with pain, and the table/bed/exam chair was designed for OB work. My body was in a position to make it easy and less painful.

The first time I was on a metal OR table and had to hold up my own legs, wriggle around in positions with all the clamps and tubes sticking out of my va-jay-jay. Nightmare in so many ways.

Don't mean to scare you, because like I said the second one was fine. IIWY I'd strongly consider at a minimum the local.

scrooks
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you ladies for your experiences! I just went to the RE this morning and she would like me to go through this as well... Not looking forward to it but it sounds bearable!

Plusbellelavie- i hope your procedure went well and that it turned out to be nothing!

plusbellelavie
05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Thank you ladies for your experiences! I just went to the RE this morning and she would like me to go through this as well... Not looking forward to it but it sounds bearable!

Plusbellelavie- i hope your procedure went well and that it turned out to be nothing!

:hug:!! I actually went in for my ultrasound yesterday but it was with a tech and she wouldn't/couldn't tell me anything. The Doctor was unavailable and didn't call me to tell me if there was anything there to be concern with...and unfortunately the office is closed today. So come Monday I am calling again to see if there is any information but it seemed that it was less diagnostic and more of "mapping" everything out for my doctor.

My procedure is schedule for Wednesday....I will try to update Wednesday or Thursday on at least how the procedure went!

When are you scheduled to have the procedure scooks? Is your physician "offering"/"recommending" a particular anesthesia method...I am just curious at what the "norm" is? Best of Luck and keep us updated okay!!

MamaMolly...thank you for the details of your procedure it does put me more at ease...the doctor made the procedure sound more like the second time you did it then the first! So that is reassuring...Thank you!

scrooks
05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
They said they would schedule my procedure somewhere between the 6-11 day after my period. I have no idea the significance of this. I am currently waiting for my period to start back up (i miscarried in March) so they said to call on day one and they would schedule me then.

They didnt say anything about anesthesia...so i am assumung its just local. They recommended taking some advil prior to the procedure. In my case the RE is looking for scar tissue etc in my uterus that may have contributed to my 2 recent miscarriages so I am not sure but i don't expect they will biopsy anything. Good luck next Wed!! Fingers crossed for a painless procedure for you!!

plusbellelavie
05-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriages that is so hard!:hug: I hope that when you do have the procedure that it also goes really well for you too and that you get the answers you need.

So for me it didn't matter about my period it was a matter doing it ASAP due to feeling something on my ovary and wanting to go in and look and do some biopsies. So a bit stressful to say the least but really trying hard to be positive especially around the kids.

plusbellelavie
05-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Just wanted to update. I had the procedure on Wednesday and anesthesiologist (from a MAC unit...Monitored Anesthesia Care) strongly recommended that I go with a general rather then a local. To him it basically bolied down to the fact that with a local giving the anesthesia down there is painful, insufflating the cavity can be uncomfortable for a patient who is "awake" and that while the procedure is happening the patient must be perfectly still the whole time and he has found it difficult for most to do especially during biopsies because although you don't feel it....you feel the pressure and it can be very uncomfortable. He also stated that being under general anesthesia make the the procedure much faster overall.

So based on his recommendation I went with the general and it was very fast everything from walking to the office to leaving took less 1.5 hour (DH picked be up). I have to say I was tired the rest of day, a bit "crampy", had a definate sensation of having been "manipulated" down there, and there was some slight bleeding but not a lot. The only thing I needed was Advil for the discomfort.

My physician said it went well she didn't see anything but did take several biopsies and we will see from there.

DH worked from home that day and I am glad he made no plans to return to work later in the afternoon because even though I could have proably handle everything in the afternoon (not in the morning right after getting home I was still "out of it' but more in the sense of having had 2 glasses of wine out of it) especially with the help of the older DCs I was just "relieved" that there was another adult in the house to be responsible the entire day.

I hope the update helps anyone who has to have procedure know what to expect...PM if you have any other questions.

TwinFoxes
05-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Sending good vibes that everything turns out normal.

scrooks
05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
I had my procedure done today and it went well. They did not even use a local....i just took some ibuprophen an hour before I went. It only took the doc about 2 minutes to inflate my uterus with the saline solution and take a quick look and it was done. The nurse said its a lot more painful if they are trying to look at your fallopian tubes too. I have had early pregnancy ultrasounds that were more painful than this. Plusbellelavie...i hope you have received some good news on your biopsies!