PDA

View Full Version : DW for 1 night.. where would you stay?

oneontheway
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
My parents live near DW so we usually go every year for the day (in AUGUST). This time I think we are going to try to stay overnight. I'd like to stay at a nice hotel that is easy to get back and forth to the park since we are finally going to get to see the fireworks! TIA!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm assuming you're planning to go to MK? (since you said fireworks). If you want deluxe, and with three kids, BLT is probably the way to go. You can get a one or two bedroom suite. If you want a non-suite, then Poly or Contemporary are closest.

oneontheway
05-04-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm assuming you're planning to go to MK? (since you said fireworks). If you want deluxe, and with three kids, BLT is probably the way to go. You can get a one or two bedroom suite. If you want a non-suite, then Poly or Contemporary are closest.

Thanks for the info! The Contemporary looks really nice. I think it was around $4-450 a night which isn't terrrible but I'm wondering if its worth it for one night? I also think my parents are going to watch DS2 so we will just bring the older guys (7 and 5). Do you know of any other hotels that might shuttle and are a little cheaper? I'm just starting to think it will be around $1200 for the day (at least) between hotel, tickets, food, etc. and we are on a 10 to 14 day vacation :)

You brought up a good point about which park we are going to... we went to MK last year... do you think any of the other parks are good for a 7 and 5 year old or should we stick to MK?

Thanks again!!!!

hellokitty
05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I would stick to a monorail resort (although wilderness lodge is just a boat ride away, which isn't bad either) if MK is your focus and you want to do the fireworks. You don't need a suite for only one night. Your youngest is less than 3 yrs old, so you can get a 4 person room, they will allow one child under age three who can sleep with you, or you can request a PNP.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info! The Contemporary looks really nice. I think it was around $4-450 a night which isn't terrrible but I'm wondering if its worth it for one night? I also think my parents are going to watch DS2 so we will just bring the older guys (7 and 5). Do you know of any other hotels that might shuttle and are a little cheaper? I'm just starting to think it will be around $1200 for the day (at least) between hotel, tickets, food, etc. and we are on a 10 to 14 day vacation :)

You brought up a good point about which park we are going to... we went to MK last year... do you think any of the other parks are good for a 7 and 5 year old or should we stick to MK?

Thanks again!!!!

I only picked Contemporary and Poly based on your OP. :) There are many nice properties, and a lot depends on which park you'll be going to. Your two might like Animal Kingdom, but they close earlier than the other parks. We like Epcot, but not all families with kids find it interesting, instead of fireworks they have "Illuminations" on the lagoon (fireworks and light show). DHS is probably my least favorite park, but some people love it (I definitely like it, it just doesn't have as many attractions that appeal to me). One thing about DHS, it has the Fantasmic show, which as a pretty cool, dramatic show featuring Mickey Mouse. It also has Toy Story Mania. Are your kids into the Disney shows? Because Playhouse Disney is pretty fun, it has a bunch of the characters from the shows.

If you decide to do DHS or Epcot, you can probably get a good rate at the Swan or Dolphin which are walking distance. Animal Kingdom is in the boonies, I don't know what hotels are there other than Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We are staying off property this year at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It gets great reviews, and is located within the "World" and is closer to the parks than some of Disney's own value properties. It is much less expensive than Disney properties. This is our first time staying off property.

Check out allears.net for hotel reviews. It's a little more manageable than disboards which has tons of info but can be overwhelming.

Whatever you do, I recommend you get to whichever park you're going to AT PARK OPENING! You will have a much more pleasant experience if you get there at opening, because you'll get fast passes, and be able to get on the important rides before the park gets packed.

Gracemom
05-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Are your boys Star Wars fans? Mine loved the Star Tours ride at Hollywood Studios, and there is also the Jedi Training Academy you can sign up for at park opening (they give you a time to come back later to battle Darth Vader and Darth Maul). My DS loved the Toy Story Mania ride there too. My DH and older DD love roller coasters so they love Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. It's our favorite park!

klwa
05-05-2012, 10:01 PM
If you're wanting to stay on property, I'd go with Wilderness Lodge. Still a nice hotel, a boat ride away from MK, but cheaper than the monorail resorts.

If you're wanting off property, I know there are some nice ones, but I'm not sure any names....

Seitvonzu
05-06-2012, 04:35 PM
i think if you just have the older two, and you aren't stuck on MK, you might take a serious look at hollywood studios. my husband really likes that one (it's #2 for him after everyone's favorite MK) and my 4 year old recently ADORED going on the "tower of terrors"! (she still talks about it 4 months later..it was the thing she told EVERYONE about when we came home) she also loved star tours, the muppets attraction, toy story mania, and even "the great movie ride."

we missed fantasmic, but think that would have been really neat to see (it was only presented the day we arrived which didn't fit our touring plan).

hollywood studios is really small and manageble..it might be a good way to start a trip because it's not super exhausting like MK or tons of walking, like epcot (which would be my #2 pick for you after DHS).

i don't think i'd do animal kingdom unless your kids are super into safari animals. i LOVED everest--but that doesn't sound like something your kids would want to do (or maybe they couldn't -- not sure the height on that). we did two 1/2 days at AK and i think that was plenty (of course we stayed at AKL ...so i'm not sure if that's why i felt like we got plenty of animal kingdom time :)

oneontheway
05-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Are your boys Star Wars fans? Mine loved the Star Tours ride at Hollywood Studios, and there is also the Jedi Training Academy you can sign up for at park opening (they give you a time to come back later to battle Darth Vader and Darth Maul). My DS loved the Toy Story Mania ride there too. My DH and older DD love roller coasters so they love Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. It's our favorite park!

DS would LOVE this! Thanks.

oneontheway
05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies and great info! I guess we need to decide which park we want to go to first. Since we won't have the baby maybe HS is the way to go and then next year with the little one we can do MK again. Hmmm, I'll have to think on all these great ideas :)