PDA

View Full Version : For those who wanted to see my "fuschia" cabinets... a pic

Kymberley
05-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Keep in mind that this is before we moved in. The oven has been replaced, that old dishwasher is gone, and an actual mounted microwave has been installed. Also, it was taken with a 4 mp camera. So, yeah, it's old and dark, lol. It's much worse IRL.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx150/Kymbertley/IMG_1420.jpg

The cabinets are ugly, but we can't replace them right now. So, I have to paint them, ugly as they are.

Jo..
05-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I would just remove that trim over the sink and repaint a neutral color. Then they will be fine.

crl
05-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh my. Painting them will help a ton!

Catherine

Babymakes3
05-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I would take down that piece over the sink with the scalloped edges, take off all the hardware and if you like the style then spray paint them either black or a different metal color. Then I would paint the cabinets white!

mikala
05-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I would take down that piece over the sink with the scalloped edges, take off all the hardware and if you like the style then spray paint them either black or a different metal color. Then I would paint the cabinets white!

:yeahthat: The ORB paint Young House Love always recommends might look nice here.

queenmama
05-04-2012, 05:17 PM

I actually love the scallop! Ha!

They do need to be painted, though. White or maybe even a cheerful yellow or aqua. Yes, I love "retro."

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

BDKmom
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
You weren't kidding, those are horrible! I think pretty much any color you decide to go with will be a vast improvement. Definitely post after pics when you are done!

larig
05-04-2012, 09:20 PM
If you haven't already, check out Young house love's discussion of painting their cabinets. really great advice.

Kymberley
05-04-2012, 10:32 PM
You weren't kidding, those are horrible! I think pretty much any color you decide to go with will be a vast improvement. Definitely post after pics when you are done!

:ROTFLMAO: I told you! And this is a GOOD pic! :hysterical: The previous owner used FLAT paint, and apparently didn't do any prep work before painting. The lighting was really bad so it was hard to see. We fixed the lighting, and whoa! It's stunning, really. I especially love the blue paint poking through in some spots. This is going to be a big job.

hellokitty
05-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Oh my! Weirder yet is the combo of the black tile with the cabinets... it's very 80's looking. I can see why you're dying to paint the cabinets!

edurnemk
05-04-2012, 10:58 PM

:yeahthat:

TBH, I was expecting worse, I had pictured a much brighter fuschia :ROTFLMAO:

Kymberley
05-04-2012, 11:02 PM

They are actually a bit brighter. This pic was taken with indirect light because they HAD no light in the actual kitchen area. Once we put one in, the true color was revealed. Once I get my kitchen cleaned up I'll try to take another pic. You'll see! :rotflmao:

DietCokeLover
05-04-2012, 11:11 PM

I was too. I think in my head I was envisioning almost neon fuchsia. But, that being said, I can see why you are looking forward to painting them!

kijip
05-04-2012, 11:48 PM
I would so do aqua or lime in that kitchen...but then of course whoever had the house after me would be like, um what the heck and come and post here. :D

Nicsmom
05-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Hey, maybe fuschia is back for kitchen cabinets. look at the 3d kitchen shown here:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/bi-color-kitchen-cabinets-170539#comments

I have to say that I think these don't look bad.

Nicsmom
05-05-2012, 05:55 PM
And here they are again:

Look at the bottom of this post:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-after-two-kitchens-over-154854

I'm not suggesting that you keep them fuschia, I'm just saying your cabinets are not alone in the interior design world :)

justlearning
05-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I would keep the cabinets they way they are if it were my house. I think that you can work with it and give it a European bistro look. In my opinion it's not worth all the work you'd have to do to paint them a different color if you're wanting to redo the kitchen in the future anyways.

Kymberley
05-05-2012, 06:32 PM
And here they are again:

Look at the bottom of this post:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-after-two-kitchens-over-154854

I'm not suggesting that you keep them fuschia, I'm just saying your cabinets are not alone in the interior design world :)

That's the color! It doesn't look bad in her kitchen.

My first budget-friendly project is the wood paneling basement. I started today patching up nail holes, wiping down the walls, repairing crown molding. It's a huge room. I started with the wall that needs the most work and almost got that one wall finished. Since I'm doing this all by myself, the cabinets will have to wait for a while. I might spray paint the hardware for now and just deal with it.

stinkyfeet
05-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I think it would look fine to paint them, remove the decorative trim, and change out the hardware. Have fun remodeling!

AshleyAnn
05-06-2012, 11:21 AM
The cabients themselves dont look that bad. Prime and repaint them something a little less purple (ok maybe alot less purple) and update the hardware and it will be a whole new room.

My rental house has beautiful cabinets but mauve pink counter tops. UGLY. And I cant do anything about it because its a rental. The hardware is also butt ugly too. If anyone knows what color coordinates with mauve pink please PM me so I can buy some kitchen towels that do not clash with these fugly counters!

Babymakes3
05-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Are you guys pretty handy?

I was thinking if you wanted something completely different that won't cost alot but would require some level of difficulty you could use molding to trim each cabinet and use beadboard in the center. It would majorly update the style of the cabinets for very little money.

Here are some examples - although they already have trim so you would have to play around with a cabinet door and some pieces at Home Depot to find a look you like.

http://www.remodelaholic.com/2011/04/builder-grade-cabinet-upgraded-tutorial/

They also make beadboard wallpaper...would be pretty easy to do this!
http://www.320sycamoreblog.com/2009/08/beadboard-wallpaper-cabinets-tutorial.html

Whether you do that or just paint them I highly rec going out and buying a good electric hand sander and if there are multiple layers of paint you should probably get some paint stripper, it will make your life much easier by removing the crappy paint layers that are already on it. I can probably come up with some good tutorials on painting cabinets if you need some! There is another tutorial for the beadboard that I had in mind but I can't remember where I saw it yet.