PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarten choices

HIU8
05-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Took DD to K roundup today for our local public. There will be 21 kids in a class, 1 teacher, no aid. The private program I signed her up for will have 16 kids in a class, 1 teacher and 2 aids per class. The private program teaches the same curriculum as the county schools. The difference is $$ and a cushy K environment. We have basically made the decision to go public (due to DH losing his job recently). After today, I'm feeling better about the public option (note: if DD did private K, she would have still gone into public starting in 1st. I just preferred the cushy environment for her K year). I'm still feeling guilty about not being able to give her the private K experience, but maybe at some point in the future we can revisit private (for high school or middle school).

AnnieW625
05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I would do public in a heartbeat with only 21 kids (as long as the daycare wasn't more than Catholic school tuition like it is here). Our state used to have those numbers, but now unless you go to a charter most classes have between 25 and 30. Are there opportunities to volunteer in the classroom to help with the teacher? I know in the 80s this was a big thing in my elementary school when not every class had an aide.

crl
05-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I bet she will do great! My son, who is special needs, had one teacher, no aide and twenty two kids in his K and he had a great year.

Catherine

fivi2
05-04-2012, 06:29 PM
My dds are in kinder classes with 20 and 19 (well, one left so now 18) and no assistant - it has been great. I don't think 21 would be a problem at all!

georgiegirl
05-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Dd is in kindy with 25 kids and 1 teacher, no aides. I was worried, but her teacher is awesome and DD has learned a lot (and loves school). Only 2 kids started off reading at an advanced level...now about 1/3 of the class is reading 1-2 grade levels ahead.

Simon
05-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I am glad you are feeling more comfortable. Smaller isn't always better. Ds1 is in a small (12-14 kids) class 1 teacher, 1 aid, but there aren't enough kids for him to have a BFF and it has been HARD this year. The friends rotate and its hard to be odd man out. I am looking for options where he'll have a bigger class size next year.

mommylamb
05-04-2012, 07:54 PM
We had been debating between public and private for K for DS1 too, and decided to go public. I toured the public elementary school a couple days ago and I really liked it and feel really good about the decision. The private option did have a smaller class size, but since he would be moving to public for 1st grade anyway, I'd rather have him be "new" in K when all the kids are new rather than be a new kid going into 1st when the other kids already know each other because they were in public K together.