PDA

View Full Version : PODS Stink

diegosmom
05-04-2012, 07:11 PM
So I've waited almost 5 years to have my Chinese Drywall ridden house fixed and lived through all the broken appliances and electronic, headaches, nose bleeds, sinus issues etc. FINALLY, after being stuck with a house that we had no idea had Chinese Drywall when we bought it, or what it was at the time for that matter we are moving out in 10 days.

I meticulously planned the temporary apartment to move into, packed up the house, scheduled people to help us move furniture and the POD delivery and storage. With only 10 days to be completely out of our home with our 3 children ages 6, 3, and 1 I find out PODS (Portable Storage) stinks as a company. Oh yeah, both my husband and I took the day off from work to boot!

We were suppose to have the PODS delivered today to pack up over the weekend and the driver REFUSED to leave the PODS stating we would need a permit. After running around City Hall and making a million calls we find out we DO NOT need a permit and it would be fine over the weekend. Sooooo, we call PODS back to let know and they have now "Flagged" our reservation and will only drop the PODS off is we have a letter with City letterhead saying it's OK. So I ask the customer service rep. which city worker I should call at 4:47pm on a Friday to ask for said letter!

Needless to say, I cancelled our POD reservations and will NEVER use them again. I spent the rest of the day getting a rental truck reservation and a storage unit reservation secured. Like having and living with Chinese Drywall for 5 years wasn't enough.

Morale to the story. NEVER use PODS.....at least not in South Florida!!!!! Oh yeah and to make things even better my 6 year old is sick and running a fever.

larig
05-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Uboxes is a decent alternative (through Uhaul). It's how we're going our x-country move.

DrSally
05-04-2012, 10:23 PM
That's horrible!

hellokitty
05-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Ugh, I feel so aggravated for you, just by reading your post! I hope that things go smoothly with alternative options.

WatchingThemGrow
05-04-2012, 10:32 PM
ugh. so sorry! Thanks for sharing though. I need to order one soon. I'll try to shop around now.

MamaMolly
05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Facebook, facebook, facebook. Take it to the social media. Spread the word.

glbb35
05-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Awe man that stinks! Especially the kids getting sick. That is the last thing you need. I am sorry you are having to deal with such a headache and had such a bad experience with PODS. I would definitely not use that particular service again. They should have informed you of the permit request way ahead of time. That is just bad business. We used PODS here where we live and had a great experience with them. Moving was a breeze and we moved ourselves completely. We have a very large hill in our new driveway and we weren't sure how they would manage that but it went so well. The drivers took close to an hour getting it into place and we had 5 of them to move over two weekends. I guess it all depends on who is running the business. I would for sure complain to the powers that be there. I bet the local company owner doesn't' know what the workers put you through. We had friends use the same PODS company here and so far everything has been a breeze. I would definitely complain to the managers and if they won't listen give them a bad score with the BBB and your local Angie's List service!

hope your kids feel better soon :)
B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and baby 7/11

OKKiddo
05-05-2012, 01:29 PM
So I've waited almost 5 years to have my Chinese Drywall ridden house fixed and lived through all the broken appliances and electronic, headaches, nose bleeds, sinus issues etc. FINALLY, after being stuck with a house that we had no idea had Chinese Drywall when we bought it, or what it was at the time for that matter we are moving out in 10 days.

I meticulously planned the temporary apartment to move into, packed up the house, scheduled people to help us move furniture and the POD delivery and storage. With only 10 days to be completely out of our home with our 3 children ages 6, 3, and 1 I find out PODS (Portable Storage) stinks as a company. Oh yeah, both my husband and I took the day off from work to boot!

We were suppose to have the PODS delivered today to pack up over the weekend and the driver REFUSED to leave the PODS stating we would need a permit. After running around City Hall and making a million calls we find out we DO NOT need a permit and it would be fine over the weekend. Sooooo, we call PODS back to let know and they have now "Flagged" our reservation and will only drop the PODS off is we have a letter with City letterhead saying it's OK. So I ask the customer service rep. which city worker I should call at 4:47pm on a Friday to ask for said letter!

Needless to say, I cancelled our POD reservations and will NEVER use them again. I spent the rest of the day getting a rental truck reservation and a storage unit reservation secured. Like having and living with Chinese Drywall for 5 years wasn't enough.

Morale to the story. NEVER use PODS.....at least not in South Florida!!!!! Oh yeah and to make things even better my 6 year old is sick and running a fever.

I've seen PODS on military installations but I've noticed that military families who want that type of DITY (do it yourself) move or storage are using ABF (U Pack) more often now because they cost less. I'm sorry your experience has been so trying--here's hoping that the rest is easy breezy!