PDA

View Full Version : Really, pediatrician???

Liziz
05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
So, we brought DD to the pedi today b/c she's had a teeny bit of blood in her stool occasionally for the past few days.

The pedi tells me that DD could be reacting to something I'm eating (DD is EBF). Well, especially with the recent milk protein intolerance threads we've had going on lately, that didn't surprise me. What *did* surprise me is what the pediatrician said next --

Pedi: "the most common thing babies react to is lactose, she might be lactose intolerant, so you should try to limit the dairy you consume".

Me: "wait, you think she has a problem with lactose?"

Pedi: "yes, that's one of the most common things for babies...it's worse with formula, but she could still be getting some in breastmilk from the dairy you eat"

Me: "But, isn't lactose a major component of breastmilk? As in, I thought I was producing lactose in my breastmilk, regardless of what I eat?"

Pedi: (while looking at me like I'm stupid) "no, breastmilk isn't actually milk, like cows make, we just call it milk. It's different...dairy products are what contains lactose"

I let it drop because I started second guessing myself and didn't feel the need to get into an argument with some doc I'll never see again....but I got home and looked it up and confirmed what I already knew...BREASTMILK HAS LACTOSE! I get that most pediatricians aren't as knowledgeable about breastfeeding as they should be, but really??? My husband doesn't see the big deal, b/c the advice is still the same (avoid dairy) regardless of whether she thinks it's lactose or milk proteins that are causing the problems. But it just seems fundamentally wrong to me that a pediatrician dealing with infants doesn't understand the basic components of breastmilk. Or that animals other than cows can produce lactose.

(oh, but after all that, she examined DD and found a small anal fissure, which is likely what was causing the blood, so I think and hope the point is moot for me)

buddyleebaby
05-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Pedi: (while looking at me like I'm stupid) "no, breastmilk isn't actually milk, like cows make, we just call it milk.

This literally made me laugh out loud.

Guess I'll call it boob juice from now on.

karstmama
05-05-2012, 08:29 AM
breast milk is definitely milk, or only cows would be mammals since one of the requirements for mammalhood is making milk to feed your young. what a stupid comment. really, this would make me so hypersensitive about everything this person said from now on that i'd not see them again (if big practice).

MamaMolly
05-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Know what they call the guy who was last in his class at med school? DOCTOR.

What a moron. I'm stupified with things I would want to say to him, but ITA run like the wind and find another ped speedy quick.

Liziz
05-05-2012, 11:49 AM
really, this would make me so hypersensitive about everything this person said from now on that i'd not see them again (if big practice).

ITA run like the wind and find another ped speedy quick.

Yep, I agree....we're seeing our normal pedi on Monday, and I definitely know from now on to ask who we'll be seeing and make sure to avoid this one!!! I think the part that made me the most mad is that she was condescending and rude to me about my "lack" of knowledge...which would have been wrong to do even if she did have the right info! Oh well, glad I don't have to see her again!

glbb35
05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
He-he, sometimes docs forget that we aren't stupid anymore. We do our research and we don't like to be talked down too. Even though it seems like you found the issue with your baby, your doc is right about one thing. Milk we drink (dairy) can be a big irritant to many babies. Yes, we make milk but the milk we drink can upset their delicate systems. With DS#1 he was extremely gassy. I thought that child would explode with all the gas in him. He was strictly breastfeed. Our pediatrician (who turned out to be a big dud too later on) did have me stop drinking milk and eating yogurt for a week. It made a huge difference. Turned out DS#1 was getting gassy from the milk and yogurt I ate as well as any lettuce & broccoli I ate. Those two would set him off. After avoiding those for a while his gassiness and all the fussiness went away. DS#3 was like this with dairy but nothing else really bothered him so I just made sure not to overdo it.

After multiple instances from our old pediatrician we switched to a different practice and I even switched within the practice after a few months to a new doctor. I love my pediatrician now. Our kids are close in age, we are close in age, she has twins like I do and she is a working mom like me. We can discuss any topic out there and she seems always open to comments and questions. I never feel rushed or stupid and she is supportive of the decisions we make with the kids. These are all things our old pediatrician just didn't get. I hope you are able to find a pediatrician that you really like as well.

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and baby 7/11

Liziz
05-05-2012, 01:17 PM
He-he, sometimes docs forget that we aren't stupid anymore. We do our research and we don't like to be talked down too. Even though it seems like you found the issue with your baby, your doc is right about one thing. Milk we drink (dairy) can be a big irritant to many babies. Yes, we make milk but the milk we drink can upset their delicate systems. With DS#1 he was extremely gassy. I thought that child would explode with all the gas in him. He was strictly breastfeed. Our pediatrician (who turned out to be a big dud too later on) did have me stop drinking milk and eating yogurt for a week. It made a huge difference. Turned out DS#1 was getting gassy from the milk and yogurt I ate as well as any lettuce & broccoli I ate. Those two would set him off. After avoiding those for a while his gassiness and all the fussiness went away. DS#3 was like this with dairy but nothing else really bothered him so I just made sure not to overdo it.

After multiple instances from our old pediatrician we switched to a different practice and I even switched within the practice after a few months to a new doctor. I love my pediatrician now. Our kids are close in age, we are close in age, she has twins like I do and she is a working mom like me. We can discuss any topic out there and she seems always open to comments and questions. I never feel rushed or stupid and she is supportive of the decisions we make with the kids. These are all things our old pediatrician just didn't get. I hope you are able to find a pediatrician that you really like as well.

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and baby 7/11

Thanks....you're definitely right about dairy potentially being an issue, I agree.....it just shocked me that the doc thought it was the lactose that was likely the problem element in the dairy. And it seems like you have a great pediatrician! I like my regular one (this wasn't her), but I think it would be awesome to have one with similar-aged kids.

OKKiddo
05-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks....you're definitely right about dairy potentially being an issue, I agree.....it just shocked me that the doc thought it was the lactose that was likely the problem element in the dairy. And it seems like you have a great pediatrician! I like my regular one (this wasn't her), but I think it would be awesome to have one with similar-aged kids.

All three of my children had issues with the dairy that I was eating while breastfeeding. We now drink raw milk and haven't looked back because our allergies are better, no rashes, no gas issues, etc.

mommytoC
05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
As a pedi...I'm very, very (very!) embarrassed by that Dr.'s comments :duh:, with this, of course, taking the cake:

Pedi: (while looking at me like I'm stupid) "no, breastmilk isn't actually milk, like cows make, we just call it milk. It's different...dairy products are what contains lactose"

If you feel comfortable, Lizi, I'd encourage you to share this conversation with your regular pedi. (If it were me, I'd definitely want to know!)

Liziz
05-05-2012, 03:18 PM
If you feel comfortable, Lizi, I'd encourage you to share this conversation with your regular pedi. (If it were me, I'd definitely want to know!)

I was thinking about it, but wasn't sure if it would come off like I was trying to be a show-off ("ooo, look how much I know"), or like I was "telling" on her co-worker....good to know that in a similar situation, you'd appreciate the parent telling you about it!

MamaSnoo
05-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Pediatricians are not lactation consultants, and there is wide variability in their knowledge and experience about BFing, in my experience.

However, this ped made multiple stupid and non-factual comments (breastmild not being milk, breastmilk not having lactose, lactose intolerance being the issue with infants as opposed to cow's milk protein allergy).

I know a lot of pediatricians, I do not think that it reflects on the overall knowledge of pediatricians about breastfeeding. These comments were beyond stupid.

infomama
05-06-2012, 03:38 PM

You really should. I would just say something like, "I had the strangest exchange with Dr. so and so the other day and I felt I should mention it to you"

Simon
05-06-2012, 10:08 PM
We have "tattled" on peers to our ped. They are in a shared practice and I want her to know if her peers are out of date, out of line, etc. Likewise we pass on compliments.