PDA

View Full Version : SAHMs would you be upset by this FB post?

DrSally
05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm wondering if I'm being overly sensitive. Would you be upset by this FB post if you're a SAHM? I don't think of myself as "unemployable", and I don't think that you have to be employed to be a "contributing member of society". This may be my own issues, and not what this person is getting at. I'm not sure. Hasn't she ever heard of the mommy wars. Yes, it would be nice to have it all, but I feel like she's trying to rub it in the faces of those that don't work as not having skills and not contributing or that they somehow have oodles of "me time".

I do not intend this thread to be a debate about WOH or SAH, just looking for your take. I'm not going to respond b/c I don't want to start a fight or go off on something that I may not be reading the intent right.

Here it is:

"It's days like today that I realize how truly blessed I am to have the time to do the drop off/pick up from school, take my kids to appts or recreational activities and still have the skills that make me employable (and employed!) and a contributing member of society. Am I short on "me time" ? Absolutely! But life was never meant to be all about me:)"

Giantbear
05-04-2012, 10:25 PM
its the "contributing member of society" that is insulting. And i have real thick skin.

hellokitty
05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes, that would tick me off too.

eagle
05-04-2012, 10:29 PM
yes, id be mildly irritated. but probably not pissed. i might comment to the fb post saying something like "its too bad im not a contributing member of society. im a bit jealous that you are! youre absolutely right, you are so lucky and so blessed!"

cuca_
05-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I agree with Giantbear. I would not be offended by the skills comment, but I find the "contributing member of society" part insulting.

kijip
05-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Facebook fosters narcissism.

It sounds like a pointless and self congratulatory status update. I don't find it super offensive I just don't see why she feels the need to put it on Facebook. The fact that she did makes it seem like she is trying to reassure herself that her decisions are the right ones to make. Regardless of the last sentence, she is def. making it all about her.

sariana
05-04-2012, 10:32 PM
I interpreted as a SAHM saying she is "employed" as a mom and that the skills a SAHM uses are in fact "real" skills. Do you know this person? Is she NOT a SAHM?

Maybe I am totally misreading it? I read it as a SAHM who is grateful to be one.

twowhat?
05-04-2012, 10:32 PM
There's nothing wrong with feeling proud of your accomplishments (whatever they are), but this definitely has a "greater than thou" ring to it. This is coming from a "contributing member of society" (wth?) who was once a SAHM.

She sounds like she just wants (needs) reassurance and pats on the back.

Puddy73
05-04-2012, 10:33 PM
its the "contributing member of society" that is insulting.

:yeahthat: It manages to insult both unemployed people and SAHMs in one fell swoop. I hope the poster realizes how truly LUCKY she is to have a flexible job.

KpbS
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
that's a thinly veiled insult to SAHM who do all she describe but withIN the home.

wellyes
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
"It is shocking that a skilled contributing member of society like yourself has the 'me' time to post smug Facebook updates" is my knee jerk reaction. I wouldn't post it, but I'd think it.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-04-2012, 10:38 PM

It sounds like a pointless and self congratulatory status update. I don't find it super offensive I just don't see why she feels the need to put it on Facebook. The fact that she did makes it seem like she is trying to reassure herself that her decisions are the right ones to make. Regardless of the last sentence, she is def. making it all about her.

:yeahthat:

i totally agree. it sounds very braggy and self-congratulatory. i'd probably be pissed too if i worked bc i would not be able to drop off and pick up my kids from school (if i worked, it would be FT and iwould not have a job that flexible). but does that mean i'm making it "all about me?" it sounds like she wants to get all the credit for these things she is raving about (being employed with a flexible job) but it seems largely based on luck.

and yeah, i dont' get that contributing member of society comment.

yoiu'll have to update us on what other people reply to this!!

arivecchi
05-04-2012, 10:39 PM
She seems very insecure. Just roll your eyes and move on. ;)

buddyleebaby
05-04-2012, 10:42 PM

The fact that she did makes it seem like she is trying to reassure herself that her decisions are the right ones to make. Regardless of the last sentence, she is def. making it all about her.

This. I find it kind of eye roll worthy but not offensive. If she feels like her job makes her a "contributing member of society" it doesn't *neccessarily* mean that she also thinks anyone who stays at home is not. It doesn't really sounds like she even considered anyone else when crafting that sentence- she's just patting herself on the back.
Or maybe it's a passive aggressive response to a douchebag SAHM in her newsfeed who made a comment about people letting others raise their kids. Who knows? :rotflmao:

GoBlue
05-04-2012, 10:42 PM

DrSally
05-04-2012, 10:45 PM
I interpreted as a SAHM saying she is "employed" as a mom and that the skills a SAHM uses are in fact "real" skills. Do you know this person? Is she NOT a SAHM?

Maybe I am totally misreading it? I read it as a SAHM who is grateful to be one.

No, she WOH and gets Friday's off, so doing family/kids stuff that day.

ETA: I agree w/pp's that she is very lucky to get to do things for her kids/family on Friday's, but also have a job M-Th, her DH gets the kids off to school, and she gets off at 4pm every day.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm sure this is not her first nor last smug and gag inducing post. I think hiding is in order (after the eye roll). It's not going to get better.

DrSally
05-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Oh, how I love this. You are so wise in so many ways. So far, she is getting a lot of pats on the back. Maybe, that's really what she's looking for here (rather than thinking about how she may be coming across to anyone else, as someone else mentioned). I don't post much on FB, but I cannot imagine posting just to pat myself on the back.

edurnemk
05-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Sorry, double post

edurnemk
05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
FB should have a "dislike" button :rolleye0014:

I would be annoyed, not offended, but it does seem an attempt to offend SAHMs or feel better about herself by comparing to SAHM's. I wouldn't respond but the whole "and still have skills" and "contributing member of society" does imply SAHM's don't have skills and don't contribute to society. Oh, and the whole bit about not being about her, also implies that she thinks SAHM's are somehow selfish and think only of themselves.

So, I'd be hiding this person from my newsfeed for sure, who wants to read passive-aggressive and narcissistic comments like that?

DrSally
05-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks, guys! I was a little riled up by the "contributing member of society thing". And, I do agree w/pp that it also insults unemployed people. I think it's a societal value/construction that we are largely defined by our employment/paid work. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Obviously, there are other ways to contribute that also matter.

kijip
05-04-2012, 10:58 PM
i totally agree. it sounds very braggy and self-congratulatory. i'd probably be pissed too if i worked bc i would not be able to drop off and pick up my kids from school (if i worked, it would be FT and iwould not have a job that flexible). but does that mean i'm making it "all about me?" it sounds like she wants to get all the credit for these things she is raving about (being employed with a flexible job) but it seems largely based on luck.

In her slight defense, she does say she is blessed. Blessed, lucky, fortunate etc ... all convey a similar message. It is great to be able to have the choice to have flexible work, but having those choices usually involves some degree of earlier choice (profession, standard of living, type of employment etc) BUT also of course is dependent on if there is a flexible situation to be had in the economy at all. That said, for me I would seriously pick working as a barista over a really high stress, long hours position when I have young kids so I really do see where choice comes into play. However the fact that I can live on a barista's wages if need be is not just choice (standard of living, long term financial goals) but also luck (not having huge OOP medical expenses that require more income by any means possible, not losing a partner who helps make it all work time wise.)

daisymommy
05-04-2012, 11:03 PM
...the whole "and still have skills" and "contributing member of society" does imply SAHM's don't have skills and don't contribute to society. Oh, and the whole bit about not being about her, also implies that she thinks SAHM's are somehow selfish and think only of themselves.

Yeah that. I personally want to smack her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrSally
05-04-2012, 11:05 PM

I would be annoyed, not offended, but it does seem an attempt to offend SAHMs or feel better about herself by comparing to SAHM's. I wouldn't respond but the whole "and still have skills" and "contributing member of society" does imply SAHM's don't have skills and don't contribute to society. Oh, and the whole bit about not being about her, also implies that she thinks SAHM's are somehow selfish and think only of themselves.

YEs, it was something about the "STILL have skills" wording that seemed like a jab at SAHM's. Maybe I'm more sensitive, since I'm thinking about reentering the workforce and feeling rusty. She also knows this, so I don't know what her point is. I also want to know who it is that she's referring to that makes it all about them. I can't really think of any moms I know that make it all about them??

kijip
05-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks, guys! I was a little riled up by the "contributing member of society thing". And, I do agree w/pp that it also insults unemployed people. I think it's a societal value/construction that we are largely defined by our employment/paid work. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Obviously, there are other ways to contribute that also matter.

I have noticed a definite tendency for people who have never experienced serious unemployment or whose spouse have never experienced it to mentally subtlety condemn people who are not working because they assume that their family somehow has their employment due to their hard work and strong work ethic. It is hard for them to see that many people as hardworking as they are have lost their jobs and livelihoods- largely because they are in denial that it could happen to them too.

curiousgeorge
05-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Just one more reason I'm glad that I am in the minority and not on facebook. I just can't handle reading stuff like that and not replying with something snarky.

smilequeen
05-04-2012, 11:10 PM
It wouldn't necessarily upset me, but it would definitely give me a negative opinion of the poster and how full of herself she is.

niccig
05-04-2012, 11:11 PM

This.

Anytime anyone posts or says something like this, I always roll my eyes and think "insecure much?"

edurnemk
05-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I think she could've worded it very differently, something like "I'm so blessed to have a job that allows me to have a whole day to spend with my kids doing drop off/pick-up, appointments, etc. I get the best of both worlds" or something like that. She didn't need to add all that self-congratulatory stuff about how SHE still has skills and contributes to society and thinks not only of herself. And I say this as a PT WOHM, who used to be a SAHM, and is looking forward to being one again after DD is born.

DrSally
05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I have noticed a definite tendency for people who have never experienced serious unemployment or whose spouse have never experienced it to mentally subtlety condemn people who are not working because they assume that their family somehow has their employment due to their hard work and strong work ethic. It is hard for them to see that many people as hardworking as they are have lost their jobs and livelihoods- largely because they are in denial that it could happen to them too.

Yes. This particular couple have said what I believe to be highly insulting things about people on welfare. Highly insulting. I can barely tolerate it. A person is not subhuman scum b/c they need help. My reading of her post comes in this context too.

crl
05-04-2012, 11:18 PM

I think this is insightful. I would be annoyed and feel a bit stung by that post, but I would try to refrain from posting something snarky in response.

Catherine

wellyes
05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Yes. This particular couple have said what I believe to be highly insulting things about people on welfare. Highly insulting. I can barely tolerate it. A person is not subhuman scum b/c they need help. My reading of her post comes in this context too.
Ah, that context helps explain the "contributing member of society" bit. It's not insecurity, it's judgement. I'd not restrain myself in replying.

DrSally
05-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Ah, that context helps explain the "contributing member of society" bit. It's not insecurity, it's judgement. I'd not restrain myself in replying.

yeah, it could be both. ITA w/pp who said it insults both SAHMs and the unemployed. But, maybe the SAHM's insult is just a side effect of a swipe intended at the unemployed? Being able to pick up my kids and STILL having the skills to be employable seems more like a swipe at SAHM's though. I have to pick my battles b/c I can't have WWIII every time something like this this comes up, but it does make me feel better to air the fact here that sometimes the utter disdain for less fortunate others makes my stomach absolutely churn!!!

DrSally
05-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I think she could've worded it very differently, something like "I'm so blessed to have a job that allows me to have a whole day to spend with my kids doing drop off/pick-up, appointments, etc. I get the best of both worlds" or something like that. She didn't need to add all that self-congratulatory stuff about how SHE still has skills and contributes to society and thinks not only of herself. And I say this as a PT WOHM, who used to be a SAHM, and is looking forward to being one again after DD is born.

Exactly. A post worded like you said would've been lovely. We all want both.

kijip
05-04-2012, 11:31 PM

Well in that case, just smack her. Verbally or otherwise.

DrSally
05-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Well in that case, just smack her. Verbally or otherwise.

I know. Thank you guys for comisserating and helping me (paradoxically) calm down. I think permission to feel upset helps a person to get over it.

anonomom
05-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Looks to me like an excellent candidate for submission to STFU Parents.

TxCat
05-05-2012, 12:18 AM

Honestly, I think you might be reading more into it than is there. I read it as her trying to reassure herself/justify her decision to balance WOH and SAHM the way that she has.

MMMommy
05-05-2012, 12:28 AM

So, I'd be hiding this person from my newsfeed for sure, who wants to read passive-aggressive and narcissistic comments like that?

:yeahthat: My thoughts exactly. This person sounds very egotistical and annoying. Just another smug and condescending type on FB.

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Didn't read the other replies. That raises my SAHM hackles. I get it, you're busy and amazing. I work pretty hard too.

jenfromnj
05-05-2012, 12:51 AM
To me, her comments make her seem out of touch with reality. The vast majority of the SAHMs I know are at home by choice and through years of planning, and are well-educated, have significant and often great work experience-they aren't at home because they're unemployable, but because of a careful, reasoned decision to SAH. And I think many of the SAHMs with small children that I know, have the least "me time" of anyone I know!

That said, I agree that it's not worth engaging her. I don't think it would end well, and would only probably annoy you even more.

elliput
05-05-2012, 01:11 AM
I actually never use this phrase IRL, but this is one of those instances where I would want to say "Well, bless her heart."

MamaMolly
05-05-2012, 08:57 AM
It's going to be a mighty big boom when she falls off her high horse.

carolinamama
05-05-2012, 09:33 AM
I think I probably would be offended.

But......SAHMs are definitely contributing to society and have skills. Many SAHMs that I know are employable outside the home but have chosen to stay home and raise their children. Annoying and smug post imo from someone who has never been truly challenged in life with a crappy situation out of her control.

maestramommy
05-05-2012, 11:39 AM
its the "contributing member of society" that is insulting. And i have real thick skin.

:yeahthat: Also agree with Katie, that for someone who says,"it was never meant to be all about me," the post is, well, all about her!:tongue5:

DrSally
05-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Honestly, I think you might be reading more into it than is there. I read it as her trying to reassure herself/justify her decision to balance WOH and SAHM the way that she has.

You could totally be right. It may really just be all about her, with a lack of sensitivity to how things come across to others when broadcasting on FB!

DrSally
05-05-2012, 11:46 AM
To me, her comments make her seem out of touch with reality. The vast majority of the SAHMs I know are at home by choice and through years of planning, and are well-educated, have significant and often great work experience-they aren't at home because they're unemployable, but because of a careful, reasoned decision to SAH. And I think many of the SAHMs with small children that I know, have the least "me time" of anyone I know!

That said, I agree that it's not worth engaging her. I don't think it would end well, and would only probably annoy you even more.

ITA!

That describes the SAHMs I know too.

american_mama
05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
I haven't read the other replies, but I think that's an irritating FB post for a different reason. She's "humblebragging," to repeat a phrase my neighbors discovered. You pretend you're being grateful (or self-deprecating) but really, you're bragging about how great you are or judging others. "Oh, I apparently have such great balance in my life that I'm going to tell the world on FB about it. I have time (for all the sacrificial things related to kids [although if you ask me, she's acting like she sacrifices more than she does; exaggerating to make oneself look more extreme is a classic part of humblebragging]. But I do without me time (because putting myself low on the list is noble and I want to brag about it.)" And then the smug fake-peppy comment at the end about the meaning of life: "I'm not bothered at all about this lack of me time that bothers so many others in the world, because I see a higher purpose that I am going to lecture you about."

On the upside, I am guessing her supposed intention for posting this was because she was felt good about the balance in her life. Maybe it was a hard day with the kids and she was glad to be able to drop them off and be away from them for a while. Maybe she was around somebody else who didn't have job flexibility and never had any work-family balance. Maybe the intent was good, but the tone overshadowed what might have started as a sincere sentiment.

And, yes, it bothers me slightly that she talks about family and making a contribution to the world, as though family/children by themselves would never count as making a difference. But it the humblebragging tone that bothers me more.

katydid1971
05-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I haven't read the other replies, but I think that's an irritating FB post for a different reason. She's "humblebragging," to repeat a phrase my neighbors discovered. You pretend you're being grateful (or self-deprecating) but really, you're bragging about how great you are or judging others. "Oh, I apparently have such great balance in my life that I'm going to tell the world on FB about it. I have time (for all the sacrificial things related to kids [although if you ask me, she's acting like she sacrifices more than she does; exaggerating to make oneself look more extreme is a classic part of humblebragging]. But I do without me time (because putting myself low on the list is noble and I want to brag about it.)" And then the smug fake-peppy comment at the end about the meaning of life: "I'm not bothered at all about this lack of me time that bothers so many others in the world, because I see a higher purpose that I am going to lecture you about."

On the upside, I am guessing her supposed intention for posting this was because she was felt good about the balance in her life. Maybe it was a hard day with the kids and she was glad to be able to drop them off and be away from them for a while. Maybe she was around somebody else who didn't have job flexibility and never had any work-family balance. Maybe the intent was good, but the tone overshadowed what might have started as a sincere sentiment.

And, yes, it bothers me slightly that she talks about family and making a contribution to the world, as though family/children by themselves would never count as making a difference. But it the humblebragging tone that bothers me more.

OK I love the term "humblebragging" I have a SIL who does this, she learned it from mu MIL (she's the master). Next time I hear it I'll just smile and nod and think "humblebragging again."

As to OP I totally agree that the post was b!t@hy. I have been blocking people like that from my feed. Life is too short to have to waste time on people like that.

liamsmom
05-05-2012, 12:11 PM

:yeahthat: Humblebragging! Love it. My first thought was the post was the FB equivalent of those Holiday Newsletters--you know the ones that "update" you about how everyone in the family fared in the past year, always with the glowing accomplishments.

Knowing her opinion of welfare recipients makes the post seem more odious. I'd hide her posts from now on--life's too short for FB annoyances.

theriviera
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM

hellokitty
05-05-2012, 01:29 PM
"Humblebragging" is the PERFECT word for ppl who post stuff like this! I know three ppl on my facebook who post stuff like this and I could never put my finger on exactly why some of their posts were so damn annoying. They are humblebragging!

Kindra178
05-05-2012, 02:31 PM
It's also offensive to employed people who don't do pick up and drop, recreational activities, etc. Not many jobs afford that kind of freedom. Odd post all around.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

janine
05-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I think it's insulting to everyone..talk about self obsessed! A post designed to make everyone feel inadequate except the poster who is perfect of course!

This is why I dislike FB--people just ponticficating on why their lives are so perfect..all without any verification and just stated to hundreds of faceless "friends." It's screwed up and so inauthentic.

janine
05-05-2012, 02:45 PM
In her slight defense, she does say she is blessed. Blessed, lucky, fortunate etc ... all convey a similar message. It is great to be able to have the choice to have flexible work, but having those choices usually involves some degree of earlier choice (profession, standard of living, type of employment etc) BUT also of course is dependent on if there is a flexible situation to be had in the economy at all. That said, for me I would seriously pick working as a barista over a really high stress, long hours position when I have young kids so I really do see where choice comes into play. However the fact that I can live on a barista's wages if need be is not just choice (standard of living, long term financial goals) but also luck (not having huge OOP medical expenses that require more income by any means possible, not losing a partner who helps make it all work time wise.)

Ok fine - but why the need to post it on FB? That's the thing..great that she is at peace with her choices and situation - but to announce it on FB in the tone she did is really designed to make others feel bad and her feel better. Pathetic.

kmkaull
05-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Facebook posts that begin with "I am so blessed to . . ." are grounds for immediate blocking on my newsfeed. I cannot handle that level of self-absorption.

I agree, roll your eyes and block her.

Uno-Mom
05-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Try to roll eyes and walk away. SO not worth rising to the bait.

You said that she often makes jerky comments about struggling people, so with that history, I'd interpret it as offensive and mentally flip her off. And unfriend her?

HOWEVER... if this was a typically kind, cool person, I'd cut her some slack.

God knows I've phrased a status or two badly when I'm typing them on the fly. From context, it sounds like she typed it on her phone while in the pickup line. I've typed things in a rush, then scrambled back to delete them an hour later because I came across like an absolute douche when I didn't mean to!!!

DrSally
05-05-2012, 05:20 PM
humble-bragging, love it!
This just reminds me why I rarely post anything on FB. I don't want to sound like an idiot to the whole world! I do like FB for keeping up to date on what people are doing (vacations), fun movies they've seen or new music they're listening to. It's also a good way for those w/small, at home businesses to advertise and keep their product out there. I don't mean this to turn into a thread about FB, but I really hate the "junk mail" posts--reposts this if you believe xyz or if you really are my friend, you'll repost this. Blech!

Carrots
05-05-2012, 05:33 PM

kijip
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Ok fine - but why the need to post it on FB? That's the thing..great that she is at peace with her choices and situation - but to announce it on FB in the tone she did is really designed to make others feel bad and her feel better. Pathetic.

Um, I agree. Did you see my first post on this thread, post #6?

MMMommy
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Another :yeahthat: for me. You hit this right on the nose!

AshleyAnn
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Sounds to me like she's insecure with her choices and trying to put down other people to make herself feel better that shes this and she's that blah blah blah. I was a SAHM and am now a working mom - I find it offensive on both levels.

I'm offended that she thinks SAHM arent employable and lack job skills. I choose to leave the office even though theres three degrees hanging on my wall and a resume jam packed with awesome work experience. I wanted to contribute to society as a mom. And I'm offended as a working mom that I have to skip some of the pickups and school events because I need to be in the office. But I still see it as a personal issue on her part to justify something she feels guilty about so I feel more sorry for her than offended.

flashy09
05-05-2012, 08:36 PM
It's obnoxious, but I find so many statuses obnoxious that it would roll of my back. Maybe deep down she feels guilty about working and is trying to pump herself up.

chays
05-05-2012, 09:34 PM
It actually sounded to me like she is pissed at a particular person and made a generalized comment about it. I don't know her - so maybe she meant to be offensive to everyone and pat herself on the back -- or maybe she was just venting.

Jenny_A
05-05-2012, 09:35 PM
OP, I'm curious as to what type of responses she got from that status?

MamaSnoo
05-06-2012, 07:17 AM
It's also offensive to employed people who don't do pick up and drop, recreational activities, etc. Not many jobs afford that kind of freedom. Odd post all around.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

The post is smug and annoying. I WOTH, and I think it is obnoxious to both working and at-home moms. "Humblebragging" sums it up so well.