PDA

View Full Version : We live down the street... (UPDATE)

ha98ed14
05-05-2012, 09:09 AM
and have never taken DD to Disneyland. We're taking her Monday for her 5th bday just her, me and DH. We thought about asking MIL to come because most of the rides are for 2 people, but I really didn't want her to come because then word of it gets back to SIL and that's no fun to deal with. But maybe it's worth the flack to have an even number of people? WDYT?

Any other last minute advice?

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Why wouldn't you invite MIL? SIL does things all the time with MIL without you. Plus, you want dd to have a good relationship with MIL. Invite.

vludmilla
05-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I agree. Invite your MIL and don't think another thought about what SIL will think of it.

ha98ed14
05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
So I just called to invite her. She's not coming. Why? Because she has been at SIL's house since last Sunday "helping" her; i.e. taking care of her kids and cleaning her house, and she cannot be away from FIL any longer. I knew she was down Sun, Monday and Tues. Those are her usual days at SIL's. (MIL lives 2+ hours away from SIL. We live within 15 minutes of SIL.) I thought *maybe* she would come with us to Disneyland on Monday instead of going to SIL's house. She would already be down this way. But nope. She's not coming Sunday to Tues next week because she was at SIL's Sunday to Sat (today). When I called her (just 5 mins ago!) she was in the car driving back north to her house. SO, not only does she come down here for a WHOLE WEEK and not once call to see DD; now she is not available to spend DD's birthday treat with her BECAUSE she spent all her free time and energy on SIL and her family. MIL said she might have been willing to come on Monday if she had not been away from FIL all week staying at SIL's.

I wish I hadn't asked.

TwinFoxes
05-05-2012, 11:49 AM
OK, well that sucks. :hug:

You'll be fine with an odd number though. Most of the little kid rides you can fit two adult and 1 kid. Not Dumbo probably, but then one of you can be designated photographer. Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh ride, Peter Pan, it's a small world, all can have three in one ride. So you guys will still have a blast. :)

My advice is always the same, get your ticket before hand so you don't have to waste time at the booths, and be through the gates at park opening. If you think DD wants to ride Dumbo, high tail it there. Even if she hasn't seen the movie (and most kids haven't) there's something so inherently appealing about a flying baby elephant that most kids fall in love with the ride from the ground.

Have fun, it will be magical. :) The first time I remember going was age four. It really will be a lasting memory for her.

ZeeBaby
05-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Have fun. Your DD will love it.

Seitvonzu
05-05-2012, 02:22 PM
your dd will totally LOVE it :) i'd just switch off rides with you and dh and the other person takes the bajillion pictures you'd want to have anyway :)

get there early- fantasyland first! :)

will your child want to ride "big" rides-- don't some of those have parent swapping? my child would ride anything disney said was "ok" (based on height this was most things...she's at the magical 42" mark) she went on tower of terror. :) if you're kiddo isn't into that, you might have very few things you all can't do together :)

enjoyenjoy! honestly, i think you three will have a better time without MIL (though i think her response to your invitation was very offputting :( )

hellokitty
05-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Forget about mil. I have some similar issues with my parents and I am at the point where we just do what we want to do and try not to let it bug us if they don't want to join us. You guys will have a blast. A lot of the rides can fit 3 ppl, so you will mostly be able to stay together. Have fun!!!

Seitvonzu
05-05-2012, 02:27 PM
i wanted to add-- ILs took us to disneyworld in january-- we were there a while, and faced a few disappointments that led to DH, dd and myself being alone at MK one day (the day dh and i were supposed to be alone at epcot, dd with the inlaws). it was the best day of the trip :) 3 is definitely a magic number!

wendmatt
05-07-2012, 12:04 PM
We only have 1 DD and 3 has been fine for us. Lots of rides fit 3 people, otherwise one just sits behind. You'll have a better time with just you 3. Have fun.

ha98ed14
05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
I wanted to update to say we had a fantastic time! It wasn't crowded in the morning at all. We got there at rope drop and rode all the good fantasyland rides twice in the AM. It was really one of the best days I can remember spending with my family.

bekahjean
05-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I wanted to update to say we had a fantastic time! It wasn't crowded in the morning at all. We got there at rope drop and rode all the good fantasyland rides twice in the AM. It was really one of the best days I can remember spending with my family.

I'm so glad you were able to have a special day together! :heartbeat::heartbeat:

hellokitty
05-11-2012, 01:34 PM

That's great! See, I bet your dd didn't even notice the presence of gma. Just have fun on your own, that's what we do too.

TwinFoxes
05-11-2012, 01:43 PM
What an awesome update! I think your DD will remember this forever. :D